Entreq Tellus grounding

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
I would like to enter the world of Entreq grounding. If I am just starting out, and with a limited budget ($4-5k), would would be the best product to get ? Been looking at the Entreq product line, there is so many things, just sure what is going to make the biggest impact. Right now I have power regenerator which my integrated amp is plugged into. TIA @Barry2013
Do you have a complicated system with many components? Grounding your power regenerator is a smart move as I assume all your components are plugged into it, not just your integrated amp, right? I would suggest getting a Olympus Infinity for that. Or get a multi-chambers unit like the Tellus II Infinity which contain three separate smaller ground boxes of two different ground box models. You can ground your regenerator and two other components to it.

Are your budget including the Entreq ground cables? Please remember to get the latest Infinity line of ground cables, not the first generation. The Infinity Discovery is a good starting point, the Infinity Konstantin is my next choice but I have settled at the Infinity Apollo which is quite a bit better.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Do you have a complicated system with many components? Grounding your power regenerator is a smart move as I assume all your components are plugged into it, not just your integrated amp, right? I would suggest getting a Olympus Infinity for that. Or get a multi-chambers unit like the Tellus II Infinity which contain three separate smaller ground boxes of two different ground box models. You can ground your regenerator and two other components to it.

Are your budget including the Entreq ground cables? Please remember to get the latest Infinity line of ground cables, not the first generation. The Infinity Discovery is a good starting point, the Infinity Konstantin is my next choice but I have settled at the Infinity Apollo which is quite a bit better.
Not a complex system right now. Just the integrated plugged into it. The digital player, the USB to Optical Femto reclocker and DAC are all battery powered. Mostly concerned with cleaning up the AC power further, and if there is still $$ left over, then the speaker signal lines.

How would I go about grounding the regenerator? Would a PowerUS product make any sense?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not a complex system right now. Just the integrated plugged into it. The digital player, the USB to Optical Femto reclocker and DAC are all battery powered. Mostly concerned with cleaning up the AC power further, and if there is still $$ left over, then the speaker signal lines.

How would I go about grounding the regenerator? Would a PowerUS product make any sense?
I am a long term and very satisfied user of Entreq grounding as well as their cables, but I haven't tried the Powerus. That said those I know who have speak well of it and it it is probably the easiest application for your regenerator.
My mains supply is pretty clean so it has not been a priority.
The current line up is quite new so it would be worth looking at what is available used. On the basis of your budget a Tellus plus Apollo earth cables would be good or alternatively a Poseidon which would enable you to ground your amp and the negative speaker terminals which is very effective in my system. Most amps are suitable for the latter other than OTL amps.
The Olympus ground box is very good but almost certainly above your budget once you add in the ground cables. But it should take care of all your system.
The smaller ground boxes are effective and the Olympus 10 is probably the sweet spot in the range.
The Apollo ground cables are likewise IME the sweet spot in that range, but the less expensive ground cables are also good value for money and you could always upgrade them at a later stage.
I do not have any battery powered components but I imagine that as with mains powered ones they still emit EMI when they are in operation. Probably less than with mains power and if so not an initial priority as you say.
I hope that is helpful

Mossback

Iamtimabb, Barry and the others here are more knowledgeable than I am on the new products but I'll share my story.
First let me warn you once you include Entreq you will never go back and will want to expand it throughout your system. It's expensive but so effective.
I've two pairs of the older Silver Tellus and Atlantis with a mix of cables. Entreq cables make a huge improvement the higher level cables are worthwhile. I bought all my Entreq gear used over several years.
Folks who visit enjoy the sound from my modest gear. Everyone is skeptical of "those boxes". While music is playing I'll quickly disconnect then reconnect one pair of boxes and in all cases they will say "Wow".
I would never think of selling my entreq.
Good luck and let us know how it works for you!

Reactions: Raizen and HK Panda

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Iamtimabb, Barry and the others here are more knowledgeable than I am on the new products but I'll share my story.
First let me warn you once you include Entreq you will never go back and will want to expand it throughout your system. It's expensive but so effective.
I've two pairs of the older Silver Tellus and Atlantis with a mix of cables. Entreq cables make a huge improvement the higher level cables are worthwhile. I bought all my Entreq gear used over several years.
Folks who visit enjoy the sound from my modest gear. Everyone is skeptical of "those boxes". While music is playing I'll quickly disconnect then reconnect one pair of boxes and in all cases they will say "Wow".
I would never think of selling my entreq.
Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
Yes agree 100%

Reactions: Raizen

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018

If your power regenerator is of audiophile quality, I don't see why you need to spend the money on the PowerUS. it is not cheap and I would use that money on a better ground box and ground cables instead.

You can ground your regenerator thru a screw of the chassis (verify that with a meter if you have one) or get a Entreq ground cable like the one in the attached file.

I am a guy that like to tweak as many components as possible rather than concentrating on tweaking one single component. I think the combined effect of tweaking multiple components is better. That's why I skipped the Olympus Infinity and use bigger units like Olympus Tellus, Tellus 2 Infinity, Poseidon and the newest Hero.

As Barry has suggested also, Infinity Apollo (US$820) is an excellent cable, but if budget is a concern, I would downgrade the cable to Infinity Konstantin (US$270) and add the optional Everest knob (US$330). This combination perform not inferior to the Infinity Apollo but save you US$200. Of course using the Infinity Apollo plus the Everest knob is the BEST.

It is hard to get a used Poseidon and I am not selling mine yet. I know a source for a used Olympus Tellus but it is over your budget. You can PM me if you want a Tellus 2 Infinity.

Attachments

• Entreq_Apollo_Ground_002.JPG
    Entreq_Apollo_Ground_002.JPG
    707.8 KB · Views: 9

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
What is better to begin with, grounding the negative speaker terminals on the amp, or grounding the chassis of the power regenerator? Which would give greater impact? What is the minimum ground box I should consider for that task? If I went with a minimum box to begin with with, can I daisy change another box later to improve on the sonic performance? I am still at the stage that I need to hear a real effect for me to go all in.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I don't have any experience with regenerators but as dts says if yours is of good quality it's not an immediate priority. Your battery powered components should be pretty clean so the amp should be your priority.
You could start with a smaller groundbox and ground cable and just do the amp which should produce a noticeable improvement.
Better but more expensive would be a Tellus Infinity to earth the amp and negative speaker terminals. You must have three separate compartments to do that so make sure you get the right one. The Poseidon is even better for that role.
Not sure where you are but Entreq dealers will usually let you have a home trial before committing to buy.

Reactions: HK Panda

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I don't have any experience with regenerators but as dts says if yours is of good quality it's not an immediate priority. Your battery powered components should be pretty clean so the amp should be your priority.
You could start with a smaller groundbox and ground cable and just do the amp which should produce a noticeable improvement.
Better but more expensive would be a Tellus Infinity to earth the amp and negative speaker terminals. You must have three separate compartments to do that so make sure you get the right one. The Poseidon is even better for that role.
Not sure where you are but Entreq dealers will usually let you have a home trial before committing to buy.
When you say do the amp, are you referring to ground the chassis, negative output terminals, or both?

I'm living in mainland China, and there is a distributor here my dealer is working with, but there are supply issues, so the only units I can get in the short term are:

Silver Tellus Infinity
Silver Minimus Infinity
Olympus package
Olympus Ten

If I want to get a smaller unit, such as the Mimimus infinity, and use that to ground the negative output terminals, and I like the effect, I can I add another grounding box to enhance the grounding effect?

There are a number of non Enteq grounding boxes available here, just not sure they are of the same caliber or quality as the Entreq. Prices are much better though, so they are tempting.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks.
I now have a clearer picture of where you are coming from.
The term grounding in the context of Entreq ground boxes is a bit confusinq. They ground the signals not the mains supply so you connect the earth cables to unused inputs on amps/sources and thence to the ground box of your choice.
The key thing to be aware of is that for the negative speaker output terminal grounding you must use separate boxes or one that has separate internal boxes such as the Tellus Infinity II or the Poseidon.
I'm pretty sure that your mains is already well sorted so the right priority is your amp.The best plan is to talk to your dealer explaining your current set up and explore which units/cables he can arrange for you to try at home in your system. If you do try the negative speaker terminal grounding, which I would recommend, be sure to connect the speaker cables to the output terminals first and then the Entreq ground cables. Spades are generally the easiest way to do that.
I very much doubt that the non Entreq boxes are worth pursuing and wouldn't recommend that option. There's a reason that they are cheaper which is very likely because they are a cheaper and less effective choice. Entreq have been around for a long time now and the fact that they have an extensive global following is testament to their quality and effectiveness. The Entreq website is generally helpful and it includes a guide to negative speaker terminal grounding.
Hopefully you can take it from there, but if you are still struggling get back to me and I'll try to help you further.

Reactions: Raizen

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Thanks.
I now have a clearer picture of where you are coming from.
The term grounding in the context of Entreq ground boxes is a bit confusinq. They ground the signals not the mains supply so you connect the earth cables to unused inputs on amps/sources and thence to the ground box of your choice.
The key thing to be aware of is that for the negative speaker output terminal grounding you must use separate boxes or one that has separate internal boxes such as the Tellus Infinity II or the Poseidon.
I'm pretty sure that your mains is already well sorted so the right priority is your amp.The best plan is to talk to your dealer explaining your current set up and explore which units/cables he can arrange for you to try at home in your system. If you do try the negative speaker terminal grounding, which I would recommend, be sure to connect the speaker cables to the output terminals first and then the Entreq ground cables. Spades are generally the easiest way to do that.
I very much doubt that the non Entreq boxes are worth pursuing and wouldn't recommend that option. There's a reason that they are cheaper which is very likely because they are a cheaper and less effective choice. Entreq have been around for a long time now and the fact that they have an extensive global following is testament to their quality and effectiveness. The Entreq website is generally helpful and it includes a guide to negative speaker terminal grounding.
Hopefully you can take it from there, but if you are still struggling get back to me and I'll try to help you further.
The local dealer I am working with does not carry the Enreq directly, but his supplier can get them, however there are no trials, so whatever I want, I have to pay in advance, and once I order them, they are mine regardless of how much I like or don't like them. Which is the primary reason why I want to order the smallest version of the Entreq that I can away with, and try it in the application we spoke about, and if like what I hear, then I can move those smaller units for another purpose, and then purchase the appropriate sized boxes, or just add more, hence my before question about daisy chaining the Entreq boxes. Can I get away with the Silver Minimus Infinity just to get some small idea of the effect? Then if the effect is good, then I can add more, or substitute a larger box.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The local dealer I am working with does not carry the Enreq directly, but his supplier can get them, however there are no trials, so whatever I want, I have to pay in advance, and once I order them, they are mine regardless of how much I like or don't like them. Which is the primary reason why I want to order the smallest version of the Entreq that I can away with, and try it in the application we spoke about, and if like what I hear, then I can move those smaller units for another purpose, and then purchase the appropriate sized boxes, or just add more, hence my before question about daisy chaining the Entreq boxes. Can I get away with the Silver Minimus Infinity just to get some small idea of the effect? Then if the effect is good, then I can add more, or substitute a larger box.
OK
Yes the Silver Minimus Infinity with a Konstantin or Apollo earth cable will enable you to earth your amp and see if that works in your system.
You can daisy chain but the Silver Minimus is not the best for that and,of course, you would need a second earth cable. My advice would be to move up the ground box range with an Apollo earth cable which I am sure would be more effective. The amp is such an important part of any system so worth spending a bit more on it. If that does the trick then as you say you can move up from there.

Reactions: HK Panda

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
When you say do the amp, are you referring to ground the chassis, negative output terminals, or both?

I'm living in mainland China, and there is a distributor here my dealer is working with, but there are supply issues, so the only units I can get in the short term are:

Silver Tellus Infinity
Silver Minimus Infinity
Olympus package
Olympus Ten

If I want to get a smaller unit, such as the Mimimus infinity, and use that to ground the negative output terminals, and I like the effect, I can I add another grounding box to enhance the grounding effect?

There are a number of non Enteq grounding boxes available here, just not sure they are of the same caliber or quality as the Entreq. Prices are much better though, so they are tempting.
I sensed that you are not fully understood what Barry and I have said so I will try to summarized in point form that I think will help you to make your own decision. I through you are in the USA but anyway, I will use the price in the USA for illustration as I don't know the price in your area.

1. Grounding your power regenerator thru the chassis or using the ground cable with the special AC connector will provide a good improvement. Just that adding a expansive PowerUS should not be a urgent need.

2. If you like to try grounding the negative output terminals of your amp with a Minimus Infinity or Silver Minimus Infinity or Olympus Ten box, you need to get TWO of these, ONE for EACH channel's negative output terminal. You CANNOT connect both LEFT and RIGHT channel's negative to the same ground post of the above mentioned boxes.

Minimus Infinity is US$450, Silver Minimus Infinity is US$850, Olympus Ten is US$1440. Olympus Minimus is US$2580.
Tellus 2 Infinity which contain TWO Silver Minimus Infinity and one Olympus Ten is US$2500.
Poseidon which contain THREE Olympus Minimus is US$5150.

Olympus Ten is a much better box than the Silver Minimus Infinity.

3. Grounding your integrated amp using the chassis method or thru the signal's IN/OUT jack is DIFFERENT than what is done in #2 above. You can do both #2 and #3, or you can do either #2 or #3 but I believe doing #2 alone will have a larger impact than doing #3 alone.

4. Yes, you can daisy chain multiple ground boxes together but you will need a extra ground cable and an extra Everest knob if you choose to use the Everest option. I really don't know how much better with daisy chaining. 1.5x? 2x?

If you really like to upgrade after getting a small box, you should get a larger box that fit your need and budget then use the smaller box somewhere else. You will never have enough of these ground boxes.

Hope the above answer most of your questions.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I sensed that you are not fully understood what Barry and I have said so I will try to summarized in point form that I think will help you to make your own decision. I through you are in the USA but anyway, I will use the price in the USA for illustration as I don't know the price in your area.

1. Grounding your power regenerator thru the chassis or using the ground cable with the special AC connector will provide a good improvement. Just that adding a expansive PowerUS should not be a urgent need.

2. If you like to try grounding the negative output terminals of your amp with a Minimus Infinity or Silver Minimus Infinity or Olympus Ten box, you need to get TWO of these, ONE for EACH channel's negative output terminal. You CANNOT connect both LEFT and RIGHT channel's negative to the same ground post of the above mentioned boxes.

Minimus Infinity is US$450, Silver Minimus Infinity is US$850, Olympus Ten is US$1440. Olympus Minimus is US$2580.
Tellus 2 Infinity which contain TWO Silver Minimus Infinity and one Olympus Ten is US$2500.

3. Grounding your integrated amp using the chassis method or thru the signal's IN/OUT jack is DIFFERENT than what is done in #2 above. You can do both #2 and #3, or you can do either #2 or #3 but I believe doing #2 alone will have a larger impact than doing #3 alone.

4. Yes, you can daisy chain multiple ground boxes together but you will need a extra ground cable and an extra Everest knob if you choose to use the Everest option. I really don't know how much better with daisy chaining. 1.5x? 2x?

If you really like to upgrade after getting a small box, you should get a larger box that fit your need and budget then use the smaller box somewhere else. You will never have enough of these ground boxes.

Yes, that was helpful, thank you for the detailed explanation, that is what I needed.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

If I were to get one Olympus Ten, which cable can I use for the negative input signal jack (On Integrated amp) that already has the DAC RCA already plugged into it? I'm confused if I can use my existing RCA cable or not?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
If I were to get one Olympus Ten, which cable can I use for the negative input signal jack (On Integrated amp) that already has the DAC RCA already plugged into it? I'm confused if I can use my existing RCA cable or not?
My Olympus Ten has only one terminal. You need two, one for each speaker output terminal, to earth the negtive speaker terminals and two Entreq earth cables.
To earth the amp you need you need a separate earth box and Entreq earth cable to connect to an unused input terminal on the amp.
So to earth the amp and the negative speaker terminals you would need three Olympus Tens and three Entreq earth cables, or a larger ground box with three separate compartments in it and three Entreq earth cables.
You cannot use your existing RCA cables for Entreq earthing purposes

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
You can get a ground cable with RC or XLR connector and connect that to ANY spare LEFT or RIGHT input jacks of your integrated amp. The ground of all those jacks are linked together so in theory it doesn't matter which one to use.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

Is there a large difference in the SQ of the different Eartha grounding cables? I'm probably going to start out with two Olympus Tens, and some Eartha cables to ground my integrated AMP speaker terminals. When you say the Apollos are a bit better, what kind of SQ differences are there? Is this really a no brainer like once you have heard the Apollos, why even bother with the Konstantin?

Mossback

Is there a large difference in the SQ of the different Eartha grounding cables? I'm probably going to start out with two Olympus Tens, and some Eartha cables to ground my integrated AMP speaker terminals. When you say the Apollos are a bit better, what kind of SQ differences are there? Is this really a no brainer like once you have heard the Apollos, why even bother with the Konstantin?
SQ= sound quality I take it?
In my experience as you go up the cable line the sound quality also increases. iI's worthwhile to spend for better cables.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The Apollo cables are the sweet spot in the Entreq range.They reduce the noise floor very effectively, improve resolution and give a really enjoyable musical sound. If you can stretch to the Apollo Infinitys you will be well rewarded.
Likewise the Olympus Ten. But to ground the negative speaker terminals you will need two of them plus the ground cables and a separate ground box and earth cable for the amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing