Entreq Tellus grounding

One interesting observation (at least for me) is that 1kitch's ARC REF40 line stage is a dual-mono design very similar to my REF10, and yet he prefers using a single ground cable, while I strongly prefer using two. Individual preferences might be at play, or perhaps the cables selection is affected as much by the system as a whole as by the specific components on which they are being used.

I wondered about that too. I am still not done evaluating the best config. I still have my amps using a ST by themselves...things sound so good, I don't want to unplug it and try some other config....I plan too at some point however.

I must echo 1kitch's wariness re assuming more expensive/higher specced is always better re grounding. He is happy at sticking w/basic Eartha Copper leads, finding Silver didn't work. I found that Atlantis cables didn't work over my Apollo leads, and Atlantis Tellus add-on box to my S. Tellus confused things. Our experiences seem to go against the grain here, but we hear what we hear. So much for expectation bias.

I hope to do it next month. They are manufactured in Sweden, I hope I can get them easily.

Good decision!
Hopefully you'll get them in January but I am told that Entreq are crazy busy at the moment so the good news is obviously getting around.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Dmnc02,
You are close to real reason why the Entreq operates wonders in most excellent systems. Although these excellent systems have competent conventional grounding schemes, the Entreq grounding system is far ahead of these old requirements. In his excellent text book "Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference" (2007) Ralph Morrison - the author of the classic "Grounding and shielding techniques in instrumentation" I still keep in my bookshelf
Yes, Ralph Morrison is an excellent reference. Probably his most useful book is "Grounding and Shielding in Facilities". Because most of his books are about 20 years old, the can be purchased used for 10 or 15 dollars. He writes using 'Field Theory' rather than 'Circuit Theory' so it can be a challenge for some to read. Many of the chapters can be skipped as they don't apply to present day audio/video system.

Other good authors:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Henry W. Ott
Bill Whitlock

And we can't forget to mention Neil Muncy, while he didn't write as much as the above authors, his papers were extremely important.

Everyone should have this 20 year old AES Journal on their bookshelf and it's only $15.

SHIELDS AND GROUNDS: SAFETY, POWER MAINS, STUDIO, CABLE AND EQUIPMENT
The June 1995 issue of the Journal was a definitive and comprehensive collection of information on this important topic. The seven papers by Neil Muncy and other experts in the field have been reprinted into a convenient guide for designers and practitioners.

http://www.aes.org/publications/specialpubs/journal_issues.cfm

Thanks Microstrip.
Very interesting in the context of the various demands for measurements.
I take it therefore that the commonly used and readily available voltmeters would not be capable of performing the requisite measurements thereby invalidating the utility of the measurement brigades demands.
Assuming that is the case it suggests that their claimed technical knowledge is not what they have been representing it to be and that had we acceded to their requests it would have been a futile exercise.
Just because one very nice portable meter does not have the resolution to measure very low Ohm situations, does not give you the right to make blanket statements like that. On my bench, I have a meter with 100 uOhm resolution (4 terminal) and if pressed I might be able to make a test stand that measures way lower.

Just because one very nice portable meter does not have the resolution to measure very low Ohm situations, does not give you the right to make blanket statements like that. On my bench, I have a meter with 100 uOhm resolution (4 terminal) and if pressed I might be able to make a test stand that measures way lower.
On the contrary.
The proposal was to rely on commonly used and readily available voltmeters and if as Microstrip suggested they do not have the necessary resolution then such tests would be of no value.
Whether more sensitive and less used meters would be of use remains open to question but that was not the proposal I was commenting upon.

Once again you are making an easy test sound imposable.

No, not at all.
I was commenting on Microstrip's suggestion on the level of sensitivity that would be required for the measurements that had been proposed.
So far as I am aware that has not been challenged on this forum.
I have no problem if others wish to undertake the measurements with the requisite equipment but whether that would or would not have any utility is far from clear given all the other relevant factors that members have identified.
I like other satisfied users with a range of different systems are content to rely upon our ears. If other members wish to undertake voltage measurements rather than to rely upon their ears I have no problems with them so doing.
I will read their conclusions with interest if and when they actually do it as opposed asking others to do it for them.

The new Olympus with one sterling silver ground post next to a Silver Tellus:
IMG_0986.JPG

The new Olympus with one sterling silver ground post next to a Silver Tells

So the Olympus boxes are out there. It would be nice to get some sonic comparisons to the Silver Tellus.

Speedskater,

Sometime ago, in a thread about speaker cables, I posted a method to measure low resistances using just a current source or a stable voltage source and a good power resistor. But the real question is that we are dealing with ground cables now and IMHO here the important parameter is impedance versus frequency, at frequencies up 2 GHz, looking for possible resonances.

using inputs vs outputs for connection. I found little effect if any plugging the ST into source outputs. This now makes sense to me. If you plug the Tellus into the outputs...the grounding wont have any effect on the input flow. I would imagine plugging in a DAC would be better achieved using one rca into the digital input rather than the second pair of analog outs. Thoughts ?

using inputs vs outputs for connection. I found little effect if any plugging the ST into source outputs. This now makes sense to me. If you plug the Tellus into the outputs...the grounding wont have any effect on the input flow. I would imagine plugging in a DAC would be better achieved using one rca into the digital input rather than the second pair of analog outs. Thoughts ?

I cannot say...other than your suggestion is exactly how i hook up my DAC to the Tripoint. 1 chassis ground to 1 binding post and 1 Entreq Atlantis to the digital RCA input of the Zanden DAC to a separate binding post.

it looks like it's smaller and has less capacity of the Silver Tellus. Is the Olympus less money ?

The Olympos ground box is intended particularly for preamps and has just one ground connection for use with an Atlantis ground cable. I seem to remember an earlier post on this thread reporting a price of about $2600 but I am not sure if the ground cable was included at that price or had to be purchased in addition,

The Olympos ground box is intended particularly for preamps and has just one ground connection for use with an Atlantis ground cable. I seem to remember an earlier post on this thread reporting a price of about $2600 but I am not sure if the ground cable was included at that price or had to be purchased in addition,

PS See post 372 fromAllvinyl $2429

Entreq Olympos

The Olympos retail is $2,429 without cable.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu