Esoteric P03 & D03 vs K07xs or K05xs

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Luxman has a warmer more musical sound Than esoteric which is lean and to clinical for my tastes. I have heard a few people on forums saying this about esoteric.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Who cares!

As long as we're enjoying our music in whatever shape, size or form. If someone here loves Bose or even a coconut tin can, and enjoys their music, that's all that matters!

I've got a family member in the ICU... overseas. We can't travel due to restrictions... ticket prices are through the roof! Just for a one way, not return, and quarantine for much longer. It never ends...
And I should be worried about how my Esoteric gear sounds...?

Enjoy your systems everyone, respect to those loving their music. I'll be off for a while, need to attend to a few priorities other hifi.

Best, and take care everyone.
RJ

Reactions: carolus

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thought I'd just mention, I know this is off topic;
Trying to get decent pricing on air travel, none avail!
I guess these agents are charging what they want to compensate for losses during covid lockdown. Oh well, that's just life I guess.

For these planning or trying to fly anywhere, just be careful out there. This horrible C-19 is going no where...

Peace to all, RJ

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Woof woof Big Dog. Thanks for the clarification. Did seem out of character. Best. Gordon

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Gordon,
No worries at all. Infact, one of my team members quoted "no worries at all..." in which case why worry!

I found it a bit difficult to address my team tonight, without thinking of those who raised me and brought me into this planet. It was at the hardest times, in fact as I write this, probably knowing that I may never see them again. Nonetheless, we got through our work, and I finished at 2:30am reached home at 3am. I wanted to pick out a particular album that was loved and cherished by those during the earlier years. So I played an LP by Nat Cole. I didn't know what to expect, really after all the drama at the medics, whether they did an OK job or not I really don't know. Probably at this stage I don't want to know...

Anyway, I listened to the entire album and it was great! It had all the requirements I was looking for, it also helped me to relax and rather than tears, it actually made me smile. I've been through such situations numerous times, and I'm still amazed that music does have healing powers!

At the end, I guess I was not so pedantic about the gear and how it should sound, rather I was engaged in the music, and this is a critical aspect we all tend to miss. Focusing on the gear and not the music...

Now it's 4:51am, and I do feel a whole lot better. I'll probably receive some news by noon on the progress on the other side... I guess that's life and we must embrace it in any positive way possible. Afterall we only have one lifetime on this plant. Make the best use of it, I reckon.

Really enjoyed Nat King Cole, what a legend!
Cheers to those who find solace and peace in their music, do enjoy every way possible.

Big woof, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Who cares!

As long as we're enjoying our music in whatever shape, size or form. If someone here loves Bose or even a coconut tin can, and enjoys their music, that's all that matters!

I've got a family member in the ICU... overseas. We can't travel due to restrictions... ticket prices are through the roof! Just for a one way, not return, and quarantine for much longer. It never ends...
And I should be worried about how my Esoteric gear sounds...?

Enjoy your systems everyone, respect to those loving their music. I'll be off for a while, need to attend to a few priorities other hifi.

Best, and take care everyone.
RJ
Who cares ! I do music is my life and I live for it.if you don’t care I suggest selling what you got and get a coconut tin can buy a little radio and put it in there, the can will act as a horn And sound like your stats.ha ha ha .condolences to your family and hopefully everything is ok With them.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
i have owned horn speakers planer speakers dynamic speakers but never a stat. I plan on buying a pair of Martin Logan Neoliths or hopefully something newer and better buy the time I am ready to make a purchase.i forgot I have owned electrostatic headphones before.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Good one!

Also a shout out to my good mates on our last critical listening session. Maties E, M, A & C, the four amigos, cheers bros! A huge thanks to your knowledge on optimal placement of the CLX's and source gear on the Hyper Spike rack from Solid Steel. The tweaking and readjustments on the Gaia II's are fabulous! Didn't realise I hadn't changed the bass switches on the CLX's after those few sub trials... obviously the default settings are way better. Also those extra few more inches away from the front wall, worked wonders! And a special thanks to my mate C for setting up the near-field listening position, I thought I had it but it's certainly nice to get another professional perspective on this, thanks a million mate. 9ft listening position is mighty fine indeed! The soundstage depth opens up in another dimension! Very very nice.

Also, mustn't forget the Esoteric guru's, thanks for all the PM's and holding the faith, yes I realise now it takes awfully long for the burn-in process, considering my limited listing hours... this unit is still virtually brand new... No wonder it was still half baked! I can definitely recommend this gear, it's just marvellous once it gets going. Will keep in mind the warm up time required M, thanks once again. I realise the XS series is a fair step up from the previous standard series, and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing your Luxman gear in my system. As planned, we'll start out with the Eso DAC and then go from there... I'm sure it will be a revelation.

Just give me about half an hour to haul the gear, muscles are a bit sore from the last workout! I guess with highend gear, especially the power supplies, those multiple transformers and steel chassis weigh quite a bit, hence our backs get sore with all the heavy lifting... must keep the lifting technique right!

Ok maties, will look forward to our next meeting. This time I won't order the blue cheese, I prefer the sweet Swiss version, it goes down better plus the music sounds a whole lot better after a few drinks! Said someone...

Once my monoblocks come back from their final upgrades, will report the results on the CJ tab. Couldn't agree more, these amplifiers are what I'm after overall performance in sound reproduction driving the stats. The MF2550SE does a fine job but I guess as one of you pointed out the tubes are a great match for that warmer sound, which I love!

Till then, take care maties, peace to all and have a very jolly one. Woofty woof woof!
The very best, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Good one!

Also a shout out to my good mates on our last critical listening session. Maties E, M, A & C, the four amigos, cheers bros! A huge thanks to your knowledge on optimal placement of the CLX's and source gear on the Hyper Spike rack from Solid Steel. The tweaking and readjustments on the Gaia II's are fabulous! Didn't realise I hadn't changed the bass switches on the CLX's after those few sub trials... obviously the default settings are way better. Also those extra few more inches away from the front wall, worked wonders! And a special thanks to my mate C for setting up the near-field listening position, I thought I had it but it's certainly nice to get another professional perspective on this, thanks a million mate. 9ft listening position is mighty fine indeed! The soundstage depth opens up in another dimension! Very very nice.

Also, mustn't forget the Esoteric guru's, thanks for all the PM's and holding the faith, yes I realise now it takes awfully long for the burn-in process, considering my limited listing hours... this unit is still virtually brand new... No wonder it was still half baked! I can definitely recommend this gear, it's just marvellous once it gets going. Will keep in mind the warm up time required M, thanks once again. I realise the XS series is a fair step up from the previous standard series, and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing your Luxman gear in my system. As planned, we'll start out with the Eso DAC and then go from there... I'm sure it will be a revelation.

Just give me about half an hour to haul the gear, muscles are a bit sore from the last workout! I guess with highend gear, especially the power supplies, those multiple transformers and steel chassis weigh quite a bit, hence our backs get sore with all the heavy lifting... must keep the lifting technique right!

Ok maties, will look forward to our next meeting. This time I won't order the blue cheese, I prefer the sweet Swiss version, it goes down better plus the music sounds a whole lot better after a few drinks! Said someone...

Once my monoblocks come back from their final upgrades, will report the results on the CJ tab. Couldn't agree more, these amplifiers are what I'm after overall performance in sound reproduction driving the stats. The MF2550SE does a fine job but I guess as one of you pointed out the tubes are a great match for that warmer sound, which I love!

Till then, take care maties, peace to all and have a very jolly one. Woofty woof woof!
The very best, RJ
Hopefully now it sounds better. I was just telling you the honest truth, your system wasn’t set up properly when I was there for a listen. It was very disappointing.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Well nearly a month has passed since the last episode... Esoteric drama and what should be best and what is not...

I was wondering whether I should post this note under the Luxman tab but I thought I'd post here since this is where the changes and adjustments were made after those comments.

After taking the comments positively to alter a few things offered by professionals, and wow is this thing sounding superb especially now. I also had the pleasure of having the Luxman D03x for three days running. It will be returned tomorrow Monday arvo on may way to work.

The unit arrived on Friday morning and was setup using the Aux input on the CJ preamp. I wasn't around for initial setup, so this was the temporary installation done and a few SACD's were running for several hours before I headed back. I then connected the D03x to the proper CD input on the CJ preamp but noticed the Aux input made no real difference, so I plugged in the Esoteric K07xs into that and left it there for the rest of AB comparison. The chappy told me that this thing required around 500hrs to really shine, which he had sort of reached before he had ordered the top of the line D10x player. Also mentioned to give it at least 3-4 hrs before making any judgements. Heck, even my K07xs requires a few 100hrs or so, and it hasn't even reached half that as yet...

Straight off the bat, the first thing I noticed was the ultra quietness of the D03x tray, it just glides in and out, zero noise, superb! It's actually a marvel to experience this. It had about 48hrs prior on it plus a few more hrs around 4hrs running before I started to do some comparisons. I must say it always impressed, there was never a dull moment. It had a beautiful warmth to it and good balance, and I could listen for endless hours. On the second day, which was Sat, I compared both side by side. Although on certain recordings the D03x seemed a bit recessed in the mids and highs top end extension, the bass and most LF's seemed very well controlled. It had a nice overall feel to it, as I sat there and listened nothing I could flaw. It handled most recordings extremely well, the only ones weren't so great are the ones that weren't great recordings to begin with! So I didn't play any of that stuff.

Third and final day, which is now (Sun) I'm listening to the K07xs and I can clearly understand why I prefer it, not just because I have it but based on three main points it has developed in my particular system:
1. It's overall sense of balance matches perfectly well with the rest of the gear. The synergy is perfect, hence don't want to change that unless the improvements were significant.
2. The midrange is more open and extends into a different dimension once this thing has really warmed up. Plus, the K07xs hasn't yet fully reached its peak. So still good things to come.
3. The top end frequency extension is greater on the K07xs compared to the D03x but that's in my particular set-up, so obviously other's systems would vary.

As for now, I've powered down the K07xs and listening to Tracy Chapman, Norah Jones and Holly Cole on the D03x and it's marvellous! Really enjoying it as much as possible before heading back to my good mate tomorrow. The only issue was, he was not willing to lend his D10x being top of the line, for three days... I can certainly understand that. I'm sure that unit would take the performance envelope even further but comparing that with the one I have would be unfair. In that case it would have to be the K01XD series, now we're talking some serious gear!

Anyway, to summarise: both of these digital playback systems offer very high quality reference standards, and both are just as good. It all depends in what type of system they're installed and in what type of application they're used for. As separate DACs, transports or stand alone digital players, they're very versatile and have all the necessary features you're looking for in various types of digital formats. I guess sky's the limit!

At the moment listening to this album by Patricia Barber- Modern Cool on the K07xs, outstanding!

So cheers to the Luxman D03x, one mighty fine combination indeed!
Cheers, and a mighty woof!
RJ

Attachments

• 20210208_003826.jpg
    20210208_003826.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
This sacd version is sonically much better sounding than the standard blue note Release. if you want to borrow it your welcome bigdog.

Attachments

• A3A155C4-D7CE-4D26-A47C-BE751CEFE096.jpeg
    A3A155C4-D7CE-4D26-A47C-BE751CEFE096.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 8

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Well nearly a month has passed since the last episode... Esoteric drama and what should be best and what is not...

I was wondering whether I should post this note under the Luxman tab but I thought I'd post here since this is where the changes and adjustments were made after those comments.

After taking the comments positively to alter a few things offered by professionals, and wow is this thing sounding superb especially now. I also had the pleasure of having the Luxman D03x for three days running. It will be returned tomorrow Monday arvo on may way to work.

The unit arrived on Friday morning and was setup using the Aux input on the CJ preamp. I wasn't around for initial setup, so this was the temporary installation done and a few SACD's were running for several hours before I headed back. I then connected the D03x to the proper CD input on the CJ preamp but noticed the Aux input made no real difference, so I plugged in the Esoteric K07xs into that and left it there for the rest of AB comparison. The chappy told me that this thing required around 500hrs to really shine, which he had sort of reached before he had ordered the top of the line D10x player. Also mentioned to give it at least 3-4 hrs before making any judgements. Heck, even my K07xs requires a few 100hrs or so, and it hasn't even reached half that as yet...

Straight off the bat, the first thing I noticed was the ultra quietness of the D03x tray, it just glides in and out, zero noise, superb! It's actually a marvel to experience this. It had about 48hrs prior on it plus a few more hrs around 4hrs running before I started to do some comparisons. I must say it always impressed, there was never a dull moment. It had a beautiful warmth to it and good balance, and I could listen for endless hours. On the second day, which was Sat, I compared both side by side. Although on certain recordings the D03x seemed a bit recessed in the mids and highs top end extension, the bass and most LF's seemed very well controlled. It had a nice overall feel to it, as I sat there and listened nothing I could flaw. It handled most recordings extremely well, the only ones weren't so great are the ones that weren't great recordings to begin with! So I didn't play any of that stuff.

Third and final day, which is now (Sun) I'm listening to the K07xs and I can clearly understand why I prefer it, not just because I have it but based on three main points it has developed in my particular system:
1. It's overall sense of balance matches perfectly well with the rest of the gear. The synergy is perfect, hence don't want to change that unless the improvements were significant.
2. The midrange is more open and extends into a different dimension once this thing has really warmed up. Plus, the K07xs hasn't yet fully reached its peak. So still good things to come.
3. The top end frequency extension is greater on the K07xs compared to the D03x but that's in my particular set-up, so obviously other's systems would vary.

As for now, I've powered down the K07xs and listening to Tracy Chapman, Norah Jones and Holly Cole on the D03x and it's marvellous! Really enjoying it as much as possible before heading back to my good mate tomorrow. The only issue was, he was not willing to lend his D10x being top of the line, for three days... I can certainly understand that. I'm sure that unit would take the performance envelope even further but comparing that with the one I have would be unfair. In that case it would have to be the K01XD series, now we're talking some serious gear!

Anyway, to summarise: both of these digital playback systems offer very high quality reference standards, and both are just as good. It all depends in what type of system they're installed and in what type of application they're used for. As separate DACs, transports or stand alone digital players, they're very versatile and have all the necessary features you're looking for in various types of digital formats. I guess sky's the limit!

At the moment listening to this album by Patricia Barber- Modern Cool on the K07xs, outstanding!

So cheers to the Luxman D03x, one mighty fine combination indeed!
Cheers, and a mighty woof!
RJ
You should audition accuphase sacd players. I had the dp 720 for 5 years but once I bought my mcintosh mcd 550 player I quickly sold of the accuphase . I simply liked the Mac much better and it cost me half the price of the accuphase.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! Yes the SACD/ DSD version will be mighty fine indeed!

Although, it's a bit difficult sometimes to make sense of other SACD's that are supposed to be recorded with higher quality. There are a few I've played before on the Mac, as well as on the Esoteric, especially from Telarc I think it was, the overall presentation wasn't that great. It was fairly lower output as in terms of pick up energy, and I would have to turn up levels to get a decent soundstage. A few others I also tried on Max Jazz and SACD labels displayed this same behaviour. Most of the other ones are superb, like those labels on Chesky, Impex and so on. I guess it also depends on how the original recording was done from the original masters and the entire recording chain... whether that remained faithful or close to the originals all makes a big difference. There have been certain discs where I've found the standard version to have been recorded very well, and they are quite enjoyable. Crystal clear and very dark backgrounds, zero noise that sort of thing.

Speaking of which, I need to head out to ARR (our good mate Charles on Nepean Hwy) and pick up a few new ones. Haven't been that way in ages...

Yes, I did try out the Accuphase digital gear, they were ok but something I really didn't engage with. I preferred the Mac for that comparison and just stuck with it since 2010. I then auditioned the new versions of Accuphase again in 2018 and just last Nov 2020. They were much improved but once again I preferred the Mac, so I kept it. It was only when I ventured towards the Esoteric line up of their much improved XS series, that my interest sparked, and so I made the move. Very very happy with it now but it does take an awful lot of hours to run-in properly. Something I wasn't aware of and didn't know it takes that long... Anyway, I guess patience is a virtue!

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine SACD's.
Nice one, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Ah! Yes the SACD/ DSD version will be mighty fine indeed!

Although, it's a bit difficult sometimes to make sense of other SACD's that are supposed to be recorded with higher quality. There are a few I've played before on the Mac, as well as on the Esoteric, especially from Telarc I think it was, the overall presentation wasn't that great. It was fairly lower output as in terms of pick up energy, and I would have to turn up levels to get a decent soundstage. A few others I also tried on Max Jazz and SACD labels displayed this same behaviour. Most of the other ones are superb, like those labels on Chesky, Impex and so on. I guess it also depends on how the original recording was done from the original masters and the entire recording chain... whether that remained faithful or close to the originals all makes a big difference. There have been certain discs where I've found the standard version to have been recorded very well, and they are quite enjoyable. Crystal clear and very dark backgrounds, zero noise that sort of thing.

Speaking of which, I need to head out to ARR (our good mate Charles on Nepean Hwy) and pick up a few new ones. Haven't been that way in ages...

Yes, I did try out the Accuphase digital gear, they were ok but something I really didn't engage with. I preferred the Mac for that comparison and just stuck with it since 2010. I then auditioned the new versions of Accuphase again in 2018 and just last Nov 2020. They were much improved but once again I preferred the Mac, so I kept it. It was only when I ventured towards the Esoteric line up of their much improved XS series, that my interest sparked, and so I made the move. Very very happy with it now but it does take an awful lot of hours to run-in properly. Something I wasn't aware of and didn't know it takes that long... Anyway, I guess patience is a virtue!

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine SACD's.
Nice one, RJ
Yes I totally understand what you mean And I am glad you love esoteric line up. I to tried lots of different brands over the years but nothin is as good to me as mcintosh. I just like it’s sonic signature and will always own it until the day I die upgrading as new and better models come out.cheers stat man.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Peter and evans were over yesterday at my place for a listen to my 30.7s and they were very impressed. It didn’t take long for evans to hear how much better he liked the 30.7s to his clx art,he told me this and he loved the Maggie’s.he’s clx are now for sale on eBay.peter also was very impressed and he’s now waiting for me to sell the 30.7s. I told him I have changed my mind.than we had a listen to my klipschorns and evans actually liked them better than the Maggie’s. I told him I would never sell my klipsch speakers as there’s nothin like them. The Maggie’s are for a change in sound and for something different.I love both of them. Now evans wants to buy a pair of lascalas once he sells his other speakers. They are coming around for a listen to my stacked horns and the Maggie’s when I get my new audience front row cables.very nice people with excellent hearing.evans said my room is big and the dimensions are good for music.yes I had it build for music and the room is critical to the sound.thanks to both for a nice morning and evening.cheers guys.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Finally managed to get to ARR (audiophile reference recordings) on Sat, it was a fairly decent 1hr drive to the store but on the way back nearly 2hrs! The silly gps took me on a different route back home through the mcg! Richmond was playing so it was a big footy match and the crowd was massive... hence the 2hr drive through.

Anyway, I returned with 10 fine recordings, 6 on LP and 4 on CD. The LPs comprised mostly of Yuko Mabuchi Trio albums vol 2 and vol 1&2 playing tunes from Miles Davis. Accompanied by a young trumpeter name JJ Kirkpatrick or someone.. he's marvellous! Fine recording on Yarlung label 45rpm 180gm, very nice.

Then these particular 3 CDs were a fine pick from Charles himself (ARR store owner). Ultra HD on 32bit masters, and one done on K2 HD 24bit, not only are these CDs fantastic but also the musicians. J Lossiuer (think I spelled it wrong) plays a unique version of Bolero with a jazz twist, superb! Call it classic jazz or jazz classical, it's an unusual experience. Very enjoyable I must say, every single track was an absolute pleasure.

Then on Telarc we have Andre Previn playing with Ray Brown and Joe Pass, two jazz legends! Another superb recording by FIM & Telarc with the expertise of Winston Ma and the Four/five group formed by those three masters, Bishop, Fredrick and Moore. The Happy Coat album is what I'm listening to now whiles typing this, equally superb! I think I'm going to be up for a while, especially after we set the clock back an hour. They usually say that gives us 1 extra hour of sleep since day light saving ends. For me it's rather an extra hour of the finest music!

I highly recommend these labels and of course the high quality recordings on sacd/dsd that are available. I think these FIM labels mastered off 32bit UHD mastering is something extraordinary.
The Esoteric digital gear picks up every detail with the perfect balance, it's a marvellous combination.
I'm sure on any high quality digital playback systems these FIM UHD discs will sound fantastic!

Cheers to FIM!
Big WOOF RJ

Attachments

• 20210405_020249.jpg
    20210405_020249.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Who cares ! I do music is my life and I live for it.if you don’t care I suggest selling what you got and get a coconut tin can buy a little radio and put it in there, the can will act as a horn
IMHO, I find your post to be rude, pretentious and self serving. Who are you to tell anyone how they should enjoy listening to music and it goes, without saying, that all forum members clearly enjoy this activity. It has nothing to do with "caring" or not. I agree with RJ because its all about ones personal choice and priorities. You completely missed the spirit and intent of his post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Yes I totally understand what you mean And I am glad you love esoteric line up. I to tried lots of different brands over the years but nothin is as good to me as mcintosh. I just like it’s sonic signature and will always own it until the day I die upgrading as new and better models come out.cheers stat man.
You could change your name to Addicted to McIntosh!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing