EVOLUTION Acoustics/BOULDER System

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
The tweaking and dialing in of the MBL101E speakers and System continues.....

- Added some Evolution Acoustics Triple Run speaker cables, in place of the Transparent Audio Reference XL (for sale).

- Installed Marigo Audio Mystery Feet between the speakers and the Symposium Reference platforms for the MBL's and the REL subwoofer.

- Pulled the speakers further into the room which opened up the amazing imaging even more!

- Installed an Audioquest Dragon HC power cord to the EMM Labs DV2 DA/Preamp

- Added a Shunyata Everest power conditioner powered by a Shunyata Omega XC power cord

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting! Thank you for reporting on these developments!

Purely out of curiosity what is your sonic objective with regard to these tweaks? Is there a particular set of sonic attributes you are targeting with these changes, and hoping to achieve?

Putting the same question differently, what was it about the sound of the speakers originally that you found less than ideal and which launched you on this path of these tweaks?

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Ron -
The MBL speakers are not your typical speaker as you are aware.
Removing a lot of the room acoustic treatments and pulling the speakers far from the front wall helped a lot.
The Marigo Mystery feet under the speakers and sub really tightened up the imaging and low end. Dead center vocals and no smearing.
The goal is to allow the speakers to "disappear". I may be at that point currently.
Thanks again,
Gregg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron -
Removing a lot of the room acoustic treatments and pulling the speakers far from the front wall helped a lot.
The Marigo Mystery feet under the speakers and sub really tightened up the imaging and low end. Dead center vocals and no smearing.
The goal is to allow the speakers to "disappear". I may be at that point currently.
Thanks again,
Gregg

Thank you for your detailed explanation, Gregg! I appreciate it. I understand on all points! I actually think that the 101E Mk. II does some of the best disappearing in all of audio land!

I like that you were able to pull the speakers away from the front wall!

Reactions: gfroman

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Ron -
Thanks again,
Gregg
WOW! All silver bullets with no trade-offs. Very interesting but typical of audiophiles. Best of luck with your tweaking.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Why buy concert tickets, when I can have Sarah McLachlan in my A/V Room singing "Wintersong" 6ft in front of me.
Close your eyes and the speakers disappear!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
if that is your car in the avatar, you might want to take every opportunity to drive it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing