EVOLUTION Acoustics/BOULDER System

prerich

May 21, 2012
Sitting with my mouth on the floor......gasp!!!!! Some of the systems here are unbelievable - yours is one of them!

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
New System Changes -

OPPO 105 Universal Transport/Streamer with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
ESOTERIC D-02 - DA/Preamp with Marigo Labs RHX Feet
PASS Labs XA160.5 mono amps
Evolution Acoustics MM3 - Speakers
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY XLR Interconnects
Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY Digital XLR Interconnect
Purist Audio Design - CANORUS power cords (amps)
AudioQuest - EVEREST speaker cables
Synergistic Research Tesla Copper Tungsten, Tesla Hologram D & Hologram A, T3-SE - power cords
Billy Baggs PRO Rack & Amp Stands
Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell 10SE MkIII + (4) Galileo MPC Power Supplies
Tuning and Tweaks
GIK Acoustic Panels. Tube Traps, Marigo Labs RHX Mystery Feet.
4 Dedicated Lines with 10ga. Cryo-treated Romex, Synergistic Research Tesla-Plex Cryoed Outlets.
Pioneer ELITE Kuro PFD151 60" plasma with Premier Articulating Arm

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Actually the Pass amps sound similar to the Boulder 1060.
These new amps do seem to flesh out more subtleties in the music.
Still have a nice solid bottom end too!
Thanks

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Added -
Berkeley Alpha Ref II DA/Preamp + Alpha USB
Ayre MXR Twenty mono amps
High Fidelity PRO speaker cables + Pro power cord + Hemisphere
Power Conditioner

Attachments

• ster.jpg
    ster.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: GMKF

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Awaiting my MBL101E II speakers!

IMG_2969.jpg

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Reactions: gfroman

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Awaiting my MBL101E II speakers!

View attachment 70362
Try no absorbers or just diffusers on the front wall. My MBL’s always end up somewhere between 43-59 inches into the room measured from the center of the tweeter for best mid bass response. Don’t over damp the first third of the room, it will rob the speakers of the dynamics they are so capable of. They are not easy speakers to set up, but can sound amazing when they are. Have fun !:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: gfroman

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
As a owner of a pair of EA MM3's I would be shocked to hear that someone would change and leave these great giants; nevertheless I'm not.. since... a few years ago - when I was looking for a definitive speaker for my room - my first look was just to the wonderful MBL 101. Actually MBL's were my first option. Great timbre, superbly balanced, and with an unparalled cinemascope-panoramic stage. They are very difficult to drive with the necessary control; the superb scaling in dynamics is at expense of efficiency and my old power amp was not capable enough.
Final word was sentenced by my girlfriend who find these beauties too much similar to something like cemetery urn.
I pleased her to take a look to my old Kharma Grand Ceramique and their coffin's style but she was adamant...
fortunatly a few weeks later I found a used pair of EA MM3'S at a reasonable price and the story goes in a different route...
Good luck and let us know - if you want - your impressions.
my best
Marco

Reactions: Lagonda

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Gonna take a while to get these guys up to my 3rd floor A/V Room....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Exciting!

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Here are a few updated pics of my system.
Still trying to get the speakers positioned properly.
I removed the corner tube traps, per MBL's suggestion.
Added the Symposium Ultra platforms. Audioquest William Tell Zero/Bass BiWire cables.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
System looks beautiful. Enjoy
I know it's old fashioned but do you have a frequency response of the system you can show? Pretty easy to do these days with an iPhone, a $15 app like Spectrum Analyzer from onyx3, and any pink noise track (of which there are many that can be streamed i.e, Stereophile Test CD). Seems that it would be helpful positioning the speakers (you don't necessarily know what you want unless you know what you have!).

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have to say that the Rowland/MBL combo must be a match made in heaven.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing