? Failing valves

opus10no12

Jul 19, 2021
Hi All,
New to forum but 2 posts in 10 minutes.
Prior to my Audio Research 75SE failing, when listening to vinyl ( Kiseki Purple Heart 100 hrs ) and Icon Audio PS 3 phono stage ( 2000 hrs ) via Audio Research amps, I started getting a tapping noise ( mainly L channel ) very clearly through Martin Logan Expression 13A’s. (Imagine gently tapping a half full glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc with a teaspoon and that is the noise exactly)
Tapping the valves directly had no effect and it only happened when a record was being played and signal being sent , not when the arm was raised. It did not happen with cd’s i.e. with the pre- amp set to cd, not phono.
I have had the Icon Audio revalved and also the LS26 ( 3000+ Hours)
I am waiting for a loan power amp but does this ring a bell with anyone?
The sound was fine, just the tapping that didn’t keep time with the music!
BW
Opus10no12

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If it did not happen when the arm was raised I would think it is probably mechanical noise from the turntable being picked by the stylus.

However sometimes signals can trigger strange behavior in equipment - can you reverse the left and right cables of the RIAA to preamplier and see it the noise moves to the R channel?

opus10no12

Jul 19, 2021
Thanks
I hope it’s not from the turntable -SME 15.
I can’t imagine it being the cartridge.
I’m just waiting to get a loam power amp and see how the valve change has gone. Hopefully cured but I’ll try changing the leads around. I’ll keep posting till it’s sorted out. May help someone else
BW
Opus10no12

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I would think if this tapping noise did not occur with any other input the amp is not the issue.

Reactions: Another Johnson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing