Favorite European Push Pull Tube amps of all Time

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
When you need more Power Lumley Reference 120 , 44kg hard Iron
120Watt RMS at that time we measured significantly more 155 watts at 8 ohms.
A real power horse. 4x 6550 or KT 88 sounds great with Apogee Speakers.
Unfortunately, this company no longer exists since 1999. all lumley amps sound good even the smaller ones. Difficult to find who owns it no longer gives it up voluntarily.
View attachment 75136
P.S. on Ebay:D not me
Hello DasguteOhr,
I was the NZ importer of Lumley Reference starting back in 1990.
The Lumley 120 monos were a lovely amp and had 4Ohm taps on the rear ,but always sounded best from the 8 Ohm tap no matter the load.
The big brother the 250 mono amps were considerably more capable with 8 x 6550's per channel and a valve regulated power supply ,mine were destroyed when a large series of earthquakes hit Christchurch in 2011 with one large loudspeaker landing on top of them, and I do miss them.
The man that brought these amps to the market was John Jeffries who had a very extensive career in importing and manufacturing product in the UK .
John still has a web site called The Sussex Music Studio where he has some of his latest Turntable designs available along with top gear from Ypsilon ,CAT ,Audiopax etc.
John is a very friendly gent so if you wanted to know about the amps I am sure he would tell you ,saying that he also is into shotgun design and custom fitting of these bespoke shot guns on another web site called John Jeffries Custom Guns .
I hope that helps you find out more about these wonderful old amps.
regards
Russell Roberts

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks, for your contribution and information, I didn't know.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: Tubeman66

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing