Final proof that lp is better than cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one

FWIW i just got back from the California Audio Show. Not bad for a first attempt. When all was said and done for my ears the best sounding rooms were those playing vinyl or tape.

Now that's a real shocker Steve. What tapes did you hear?

Hah! Peter Gabriel, Neil Young and...........Michael Fremer can't be wrong!

So much for Nyquist.:p

RUR-That was a great video. I have never seen that before. I can't wait for the digital heathens to pipe up and say their sampled waveforms don't really look like that. My video was meant as a joke but this video wasn't joking. Pretty cool.

Always looking around the next corner for it, Steve.

Time to go sit down with Boz Skaggs in the studio. ;-)

I recently visited a fellow who had a $150k Audio Note system. He had their best digital, and a big platter record player. We heard the same music twice once on vinyl, the other digital. I know you guys want me to say, that the record sounded so much better. In fact, the two were extremely similar.

Of course, both players were feeding a preamp to amp to speakers with tubes galore. So many tubes do have a way of blending many layers of, "Good," distortion.

My DAC does have 4 tubes. I know I can change the sound some by changing the tubes. I don't, because to my ear, the sound is just where I want it.... It raises the hair on my neck. Still, I am dying to know what a NOS DAC with no tubes sound like.

I can't wait for the digital heathens to pipe up and say their sampled waveforms don't really look like that.

Heathens? No wonder we refer to these as these religious beliefs. :D

Regardless, sampled waveforms do not look like that. So that entire presentation is pointless. I could say this random image shows what you get from vinyl:

servos2.jpg

Does that prove that vinyl is missing detail?

--Ethan

I recently visited a fellow who had a $150k Audio Note system. He had their best digital, and a big platter record player. We heard the same music twice once on vinyl, the other digital. I know you guys want me to say, that the record sounded so much better. In fact, the two were extremely similar.

Of course, both players were feeding a preamp to amp to speakers with tubes galore. So many tubes do have a way of blending many layers of, "Good," distortion.

My DAC does have 4 tubes. I know I can change the sound some by changing the tubes. I don't, because to my ear, the sound is just where I want it.... It raises the hair on my neck. Still, I am dying to know what a NOS DAC with no tubes sound like.
It will sound like a NOS DAC with no tubes.

I know that video is dated, but I still think what Neil Young said rings true. Digital gave muscians control over the music, but they lost the music in the process. Neil referred to digital as sensory deprivation which I totally agree with. So much information is lost that your brain has to scramble to fill in the blanks. The other thing Neil said was that people "think" they are getting it all with digital, but they are not. That last statement that Neil made is damn sure true as every digital zealot will tell you by god, they are hearing it all. If truth be known, I am sure the vast majority of all digital lovers either never had an LP playback system other than a Kenner Close and Play when they were a child or the system they had was a piece of junk that either couldn't be set up correctly or never was set up correctly. So when those people heard digital for the first time, they thought they had entered the promised land and I get that. There is an old saying that ignorance is bliss and I believe that. And I truely believe there are a lot of blissfully ignorant people in the digital world who are clueless about how good analog really sounds and they puff their chest outs with their measurements and proclaim to be king of the hill and think they have it all. They do have all that digital is capable of giving them, but it is not everything that is really there to be heard. So go take your measurements, sit down and listen to your digital music, and congratulate yourself for having such a superior method of playing back music and keep convincing yourself that you are hearing it all.

I know that video is dated, but I still think what Neil Young said rings true. Digital gave muscians control over the music, but they lost the music in the process. Neil referred to digital as sensory deprivation which I totally agree with. So much information is lost that your brain has to scramble to fill in the blanks. The other thing Neil said was that people "think" they are getting it all with digital, but they are not. That last statement that Neil made is damn sure true as every digital zealot will tell you by god, they are hearing it all. If truth be known, I am sure the vast majority of all digital lovers either never had an LP playback system other than a Kenner Close and Play when they were a child or the system they had was a piece of junk that either couldn't be set up correctly or never was set up correctly. So when those people heard digital for the first time, they thought they had entered the promised land and I get that. There is an old saying that ignorance is bliss and I believe that. And I truely believe there are a lot of blissfully ignorant people in the digital world who are clueless about how good analog really sounds and they puff their chest outs with their measurements and proclaim to be king of the hill and think they have it all. They do have all that digital is capable of giving them, but it is not everything that is really there to be heard. So go take your measurements, sit down and listen to your digital music, and congratulate yourself for having such a superior method of playing back music and keep convincing yourself that you are hearing it all.

I thought moderators were supposed to be, well, moderate?

IF you want to partake in a thread (and for sure, why not, it is after all supposed to be a topic you are in love with) then maybe, especially with such a condescending post as this, somehow the software should be able to remove the moderator tag from your by line?? (and of course, ONCE involved in a thread you are no longer able to 'police' it)

Neil Young, I can well imagine HIS ears are able to pick up the full nuances of a high end system...not.

I've heard a few high end vinyl systems, very nice. However, I simply do not get the idea that one is necessarily better than the other, at most, simply different. So rather than feeding tired old cliches, maybe it is OK if we are different?

I'm pretty sure I have seen that video yonks ago, I spose it shows a stepped digital waveform? Yep, that's exactly the shape of the signal the speaker is fed, sigh. (if not, then ignore)

I find a very interesting phenomenon when people listen to my system (note, please don't think this is just bragging or similar crap, try and get the point I'm alluding to). Well, for starters, to set the stage *most* say it is the best they have heard. (well, a lot. I admit that it does sound arrogant) yada yada, not bragging, but that IS the background for the following HUMAN observation.

The valve guy says 'gee, I wonder how good it would sound with valves?'

The vinyl guy says 'gee, I wonder how good it would sound with vinyl?'

The cable guy says....need I amplify further?

Me? I say why don't you just enjoy it and stop analysing it or wondering?

we are all 'victims' (if you will) of our deeply held thoughts and certanties.

So much information is lost [with digital] that your brain has to scramble to fill in the blanks ... it is not everything that is really there to be heard.

As soon as people who hold this opinion can actually show what is missing with digital recording, I'll gladly consider taking such claims seriously.

--Ethan

I cannot get to the second page of this thread, keep seeing a message saying;

501 Not Implemented

EDIT: After posting I can now read page two.

I think it is fair to say the two formats are different, and leave it at that.

MEP made some good points and I tend to agree with him on almost all of it.

First impressions are lasting ones, and if your first exposure to vinyl LP was a SCRATCH AND PLAY el-cheapo record player, then you can only undo the mind set with effort. An effort most people are unwilling or unable to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing