finally updated my system page......

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
with new gear list and pictures.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

slow sports week so i figured might as well get this done before Football starts again. put it off way too long and it got so i could not refer people there to see what is going on since it was so out of date. sorry it took so long.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I like that Tosca!

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Gasp!
Each time I take a look to Mike's system ... I 'm dyin' of envy... any detail of the chain is superbly treated.
never seen before an Equi-tech panel... is devoted to clean the AC energy of the room?
Marco

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, are you breeding Herzans now?

yes.....

here is a WBF thread describing my final 5th 'Herzan' active platform addition. i had been very curious for a long while what might happen if the whole signal path was treated by active isolation, particularly by the Taiko Tana level of active.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...na-herzan-ts-140-active-isolation-unit.27685/

of course, 'Herzan' is really just the North American distributor for Table Stable, a Swiss company.

Hi Mike.
What is that? A new Taiko component?
Thanks.

yes, it's a linear power supply with a panzerholtz case and Daiza platform. there are 5 of those in my system, one for each active TS platform.

sorry i have not yet had a chance to add the picture descriptions to my new pictures on the Audiogon system page. the picture you posted is one of the 5 linear power supplies for the Taiko Tana 'Herzan' platforms. getting rid of the SMPS's and then adding this highly optimized LPS made a significant difference in the degree of musical nuance brought by the active isolation.

Reactions: Folsom

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Gasp!
Each time I take a look to Mike's system ... I 'm dyin' of envy... any detail of the chain is superbly treated.
never seen before an Equi-tech panel... is devoted to clean the AC energy of the room?
Marco

Marco,

thank you for the kind words. yes, the Equi=tech 10WQ panel is a 10kva isolation transformer (with 70 amp service and it's own grounding rod) which re-generates clean A/C power for my system. i have 10 clean power outlets in my room, along with dirty ones too to be able to easily compare the performance effect.

i'm very satisfied with the result.

http://www.equitech.com/products/wall/wall.html

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Great job on your system thread Mike. The crisp, high res photos you posted show a phenomenal level of attention to detail and tweaking, as well as the thought and planning that went into the room itself. I also like the separate room for your RCM & AR RL-30 Mk3, and both at optimal height for ease of use. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Nice updates Mike! Have you documented on WBF the upgrade to the new tonearm and how it is an improvement over your last model?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Nice updates Mike! Have you documented on WBF the upgrade to the new tonearm and how it is an improvement over your last model?

Jeff, thanks.

i've posted briefly about the Durand Tosca so far, and am totally in love with it. likely all the changes in my digital, which as things go for me many times, happened at the same exact time i received the Tosca, has distracted me from more detailed feedback about the Tosca so far.

my digital changes have calmed considerably now, look for more from me on the the Tosca.

Reactions: jazdoc

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great. I've seen this arm twice at shows and it really fascinates me. Very cool design and the fit and finish is wonderful. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Mike,
Thanks for doing that. And I really appreciate you being a real MENSCH and a TRUE LEADER in this hobby. Wish there were more folks like you..

Quick question: for your digital setup, do you stream 100% or do you use a CD transport? Have you ever tried a reference-level transport? The reason I ask, is that I enjoy streaming Tidal and ripped vinyl, but a good transport always beats the pants of any streaming solution I have experienced...so much more realism.

Appreciate you sharing the experiences

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,
Thanks for doing that. And I really appreciate you being a real MENSCH and a TRUE LEADER in this hobby. Wish there were more folks like you..

Quick question: for your digital setup, do you stream 100% or do you use a CD transport? Have you ever tried a reference-level transport? The reason I ask, is that I enjoy streaming Tidal and ripped vinyl, but a good transport always beats the pants of any streaming solution I have experienced...so much more realism.

Appreciate you sharing the experiences

thank you for the humbling kind words.

i have not used a digital transport for 4 years now, since i got rid of my Playback Designs MPS-5, with the brief 3 month exception of the Aqua La Diva a couple of years ago. i do have an unused Oppo BDP-103 (replaced by an Oppo UDP-203 in my home theater) sitting in the other room i can always bring into the room if i did want to play discs. but so far i've not done that.

when you use the term 'streaming' it seems like you include files + Tidal or Qoduz services. in my case i prefer my files to the streaming services. and with new the Extreme server and PCIe local files i suspect that my files are superior to any digital transport....in the realism realm you mention. and obviously files include lots of high rez which a transport is limited to offer.

it's possible at some point that MSB might send me one of their top level transport's to try in my system. until that happens my mind is open to any possibility.

you may be right about a transport. but we disagree at this point.

caesar

May 30, 2010
thank you for the humbling kind words.

i have not used a digital transport for 4 years now, since i got rid of my Playback Designs MPS-5, with the brief 3 month exception of the Aqua La Diva a couple of years ago. i do have an unused Oppo BDP-103 (replaced by an Oppo UDP-203 in my home theater) sitting in the other room i can always bring into the room if i did want to play discs. but so far i've not done that.

when you use the term 'streaming' it seems like you include files + Tidal or Qoduz services. in my case i prefer my files to the streaming services. and with new the Extreme server and PCIe local files i suspect that my files are superior to any digital transport....in the realism realm you mention. and obviously files include lots of high rez which a transport is limited to offer.

it's possible at some point that MSB might send me one of their top level transport's to try in my system. until that happens my mind is open to any possibility.

you may be right about a transport. but we disagree at this point.

Thanks. I agree with you that files are better than streaming in every instance that I have heard.

But I still have not heard a digital setup that plays ripped files as well as the original redbook CD they were ripped from. If you are ever in the mood to get a reference transport, please let us know. Thanks

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks. I agree with you that files are better than streaming in every instance that I have heard.

But I still have not heard a digital setup that plays ripped files as well as the original redbook CD they were ripped from. If you are ever in the mood to get a reference transport, please let us know. Thanks

this can get confusing and if we are talking transports and files and CD's and ripping then you have to be specific.

my point would be that it is my opinion that 100% of the time a native digital source file will surpass a disc when played on my digital system.

OTOH when you start to change that source file then all bets are off. every case is different.

ripping is an imperfect situation too. and most CD's are not sourced from a 16/44 'native' file.

we should compare the source digital file to the disc playing. that's the question. these days most times one can acquire that native file. and it does not matter the resolution of the native file. native is best.

i do expect that the rips of my CD's do sound better than my discs based on my memory. but it's too confused to hang your hat on. i would need a current SOTA transport and fresh rips to even get close to an answer.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
this can get confusing and if we are talking transports and files and CD's and ripping then you have to be specific.

my point would be that it is my opinion that 100% of the time a native digital source file will surpass a disc when played on my digital system.

OTOH when you start to change that source file then all bets are off. every case is different.

ripping is an imperfect situation too. and most CD's are not sourced from a 16/44 'native' file.

we should compare the source digital file to the disc playing. that's the question. these days most times one can acquire that native file. and it does not matter the resolution of the native file. native is best.

i do expect that the rips of my CD's do sound better than my discs based on my memory. but it's too confused to hang your hat on. i would need a current SOTA transport and fresh rips to even get close to an answer.

Thanks, Mike. Anxiously waiting for you to get a reference level transport to know for sure. :)

Cheers!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, the room looks great and the pictures are wonderful.

I am sure it brings you loads of enjoyment.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, Mike. Anxiously waiting for you to get a reference level transport to know for sure. :)

Cheers!

fair enough.

be warned that i'm not likely to pursue having the MSB transport land here in my room, as i'm all-in with files and streaming. so don't hold your breath. but MSB might, at some point, ship one to me to see what i think. i do still have 3k-4k CD's and over 1k SACD's. if it happens i'll share my thoughts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing