finally updated my system pictures; new racks, tone arm, cartridge, change in turntables, added digital pieces

Durand Tosca Limited Edition tone arm upgrade.

background.....a few months ago I reluctantly sold my Wave Kinetics NVS turntable for a number of system development reasons, which freed up my Taiko Tana active platform which I had under the NVS, for duty under the Esoteric T1 turntable. I had been skeptical it would be a positive there, but it was most definitely that. it raised the performance of all three arms. but it clearly boosted the Primary Control Field Coil arm more than my standard Durand Tosca Gimbal bearing arm. and therefore changed the hierarchy of my tonearm/cartridge combo's. the FCL/Etsuro Gold combo moved clearly ahead of the Tosca/DaVa combo.

I had been dragging my feet on the Tosca Limited Edition upgrade for a year, after hearing it at the 23' California Audio Show. but now it's potential was more needed to compliment the new higher performance of the Esoteric. unfortunately to keep the wifey happy something would have to be sold to assist the upgrade kitty, and that ended up being my 2nd Etsuro Gold which had been on the CS Port. it sold quickly without advertising it (the new owner is thrilled), and I dropped off my Tosca at Joel Durand's home two weeks ago. yesterday Joel came over to install it. on the way to my place, he stopped at my friend Andrey Kosobutsky's home (ATR Service INC) to get the DaVa power supply wire installed inside the arm wand so it would no longer need to wrap around the arm wand, attached by thin strips of tape:(.

I already knew somewhat how it would sound, but I am very happy with having this upgrade. I can hear a higher level of everything from the DaVa Reference cartridge. lower noise, faster, more textures, greater ease, more solid and authoritative. the musical connection is more real, alive and immersive. I could not stop listening last night. not done any compares yet, but plenty of time for that. my opinion is that this Limited Edition Durand Tosca plays with the very big boys in tone arm performance.

a new standard Tosca retails for $18k, the Limited Edition retails for $34k.

I think it's a good thing that Tosca owners have an upgrade path to clearly more performance. if you upgrade a tt, or cartridge, or phono pre you can also upgrade the arm to raise everything more.

I do not know all the differences between the two levels, but what I do know and can see that is obviously new are the (1) counter weights, which are made of the unobtainium metal used for the special weights from the Telos Sapphire tone arm, and each counter weight has a sapphire sleeve. and (2) the bearing is new and made of the same unobtainium metal as the counterweights. in the picture below of the bearing you can see how the color of the bearing metal is different than the stainless steel outer housing.

View attachment 133498View attachment 133499View attachment 133500View attachment 133501View attachment 133502
A nice write up...and great pictures! Time to win the lottery, lol.

Sorry Mike, you seem to have skipped one point. What is the on the CS port, or what is coming there?

For sure you have a beautiful system but your avatar picture. Incredible beautiful. Both house and background..The mountains...I have difficult to see that beaten.
i love the beautiful setting in your avatar picture too, it looks like heaven. :) i am a big Tour de France fan and look forward to watching it every day. the scenery, people and feel of the place is always uplifting.

Reactions: dcathro
Durand Tosca Limited Edition tone arm upgrade.

background.....a few months ago I reluctantly sold my Wave Kinetics NVS turntable for a number of system development reasons, which freed up my Taiko Tana active platform which I had under the NVS, for duty under the Esoteric T1 turntable. I had been skeptical it would be a positive there, but it was most definitely that. it raised the performance of all three arms. but it clearly boosted the Primary Control Field Coil arm more than my standard Durand Tosca Gimbal bearing arm. and therefore changed the hierarchy of my tonearm/cartridge combo's. the FCL/Etsuro Gold combo moved clearly ahead of the Tosca/DaVa combo.

I had been dragging my feet on the Tosca Limited Edition upgrade for a year, after hearing it at the 23' California Audio Show. but now it's potential was more needed to compliment the new higher performance of the Esoteric. unfortunately to keep the wifey happy something would have to be sold to assist the upgrade kitty, and that ended up being my 2nd Etsuro Gold which had been on the CS Port. it sold quickly without advertising it (the new owner is thrilled), and I dropped off my Tosca at Joel Durand's home two weeks ago. yesterday Joel came over to install it. on the way to my place, he stopped at my friend Andrey Kosobutsky's home (ATR Service INC) to get the DaVa power supply wire installed inside the arm wand so it would no longer need to wrap around the arm wand, attached by thin strips of tape:(.

I already knew somewhat how it would sound, but I am very happy with having this upgrade. I can hear a higher level of everything from the DaVa Reference cartridge. lower noise, faster, more textures, greater ease, more solid and authoritative. the musical connection is more real, alive and immersive. I could not stop listening last night. not done any compares yet, but plenty of time for that. my opinion is that this Limited Edition Durand Tosca plays with the very big boys in tone arm performance.

a new standard Tosca retails for $18k, the Limited Edition retails for $34k.

I think it's a good thing that Tosca owners have an upgrade path to clearly more performance. if you upgrade a tt, or cartridge, or phono pre you can also upgrade the arm to raise everything more.

I do not know all the differences between the two levels, but what I do know and can see that is obviously new are the (1) counter weights, which are made of the unobtainium metal used for the special weights from the Telos Sapphire tone arm, and each counter weight has a sapphire sleeve. and (2) the bearing is new and made of the same unobtainium metal as the counterweights. in the picture below of the bearing you can see how the color of the bearing metal is different than the stainless steel outer housing.

View attachment 133498View attachment 133499View attachment 133500View attachment 133501View attachment 133502
A truly amazing upgrade , had to hear it to believe it . Congrats

Hi Mike, I have registered DartZeel for sale on classifieds. What is happening?

Hi Mike, I have registered DartZeel for sale on classifieds. What is happening?
i've had a few dozen inquiries on my darTZeel ads, all of them asking me what i'm doing next. not one interested in a purchase. and many back channel asks too. sigh. so they may never sell. which is the reason i'm not talking about what i may do next if they sell.......until they sell. talking about it will only reduce the odds of them selling. and if they don't sell i don't want to have that follow me forever.

and honestly i'm on the fence whether i want them to sell. but i will give it a little longer. i've priced them very fair. but takes two to tango.

20 years with darTZeel is a long time with any brand. we all see the the grass is greener from time to time (whether it is or not). i'm not entirely immune. a natural process.

Last edited:
Sorry Mike, *why* are you selling (apologies if you've explained before)?

Reactions: bonzo75 and sujay
I'm feeling so left out LOL no one asks me when I am selling stuff what I am doing next!
Isn't trying new things and trying to make your system something that many of us want to do. The Audio Industry is always trying , sometimes successfully, to make better sounding products, so why not be an explorer and an adventurer.
What if no one did that in other fields. Well the world is flat Columbus you will just fall off the end of it !

i've had a few dozens of inquiries on my darTZeel ads, all of them asking me what i'm doing next. not one interested in a purchase. and many back channel asks too. sigh. so they may never sell. which is the reason i'm not talking about what i may do next if they sell.......until they sell. talking about it will only reduce the odds of them selling. and if they don't sell i don't want to have that follow me forever.

and honestly i'm on the fence whether i want them to sell. but i will give it a little longer. i've priced them very fair. but takes two to tango.

20 years with darTZeel is a long time with any brand. we all see the the grass is greener from time to time (whether it is or not). i'm not entirely immune. a natural process.
Ralph's new class D amps ? ;)

Well, we know Mike isn't going to tubes. And to switch from SS that he's never for one moment relayed to us anything other than total satisfaction, to other SS, seems unlikely.
But we know he loves the Trios G3/SpaceHorns, and the active iTron amps are synergistically an essential part of the design.
Selling the Dartzeels neatly finances half of the whole package.
Selling the MM7s neatly finances the other half.
Most critically, Ked is due another visit, lol.

Last edited:
Most critically, Ked is due another visit, lol.
Last time I visited him I put horn powder in his coffee.

But you are right. Maybe listening to the Cessaro videos drove him over?

In the solid-state realm I'm guessing Robert Koda.
Interesting. Always heard the lower watt one was better than the higher powered Kodas, and on Sigma MAAT Vector the Kondo was quite better than the Koda.

Guys, Mike said it is not the time for speculation. Can't we respect his wishes? He is trying to sell something and all of this chatter is a distraction. Let's move it over to Ron's thread and speculate about his four towers or Zero Distortion about if or when there will ever be distortion, and what kind.

Good luck with the sale, Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: hogen and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu