First trials of active horn speaker

but I think the 18 sound horns are very competently designed and I don’t think it’s profile, which is very sophisticated to avoid resonance but I think the material is kind of thin plastic that probably causes it. I might damp them and see again.
I suspect that you are on the right track there , the results should prove interesting.

There was some nasality with the 18 sound horns with some vocals that is totally absent with the wood horns. Is it the wood ? The shape? Hard to say but I think the 18 sound horns are very competently designed and I don’t think it’s profile, which is very sophisticated to avoid resonance but I think the material is kind of thin plastic that probably causes it. I might damp them and see again.
Nasality can come from the throat. Both horns are same cut off?

Last edited:
There was some nasality with the 18 sound horns with some vocals that is totally absent with the wood horns. Is it the wood ? The shape? Hard to say but I think the 18 sound horns are very competently designed and I don’t think it’s profile, which is very sophisticated to avoid resonance but I think the material is kind of thin plastic that probably causes it. I might damp them and see again.

Did you take any measurements?? Could also be differences with your crossover points. You went lower could be a peak in the "woofer" hard to say either way unless you know what the response is for each individual driver.

Rob :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
That would have been my guess too. Let us know if you isolate the issue ! :)

And yes those very small interface differences at the throat can be huge re sonics ....

Reactions: bonzo75
Not unlike port matching intake manifolds on a high output engine haha

Super linear, good beam angle 18 soundEighteensound-XT1464-14inch-Horn-2-172044.png
Put the horn in a sand filled wood chamber.

Reactions: Audiohertz2
Hello,

Thanks for posting and I’m trying to understand your graph , it appears to me that this is a very “Beamy” graph , is this a good thing ..?

Would this make the speaker sound hot when on axis ..?

Regards

That is just a normalized curve of just the horn. You can throw that out an octave above the crossover and lower. I tells you nothing of what the system look like. That's a tight beam depends on how it's integrated in the system. If you have it flat on axis as you move off you will hear the highs drop off. The overall power response may suffer.

Rob :)

What causes them to sound shouty ..?
Higher order modes from deficient profiles is the classical reason. Nowadays, in most profiles diffraction from the horn mouth is the typical culprit if no major frequency response issues are present. A slight phase mismatch in the crossover region can also be the reason, but it’s typically more noticed as a nasally reproduction.
Just listing the canonical reasons, nothing pointing this is the case here, don’t see anything jumping out.
Really cool looking project @morricab!

Super linear, good beam angle 18 soundView attachment 113316
Put the horn in a sand filled wood chamber.
Yes, haven’t given up on it yet because there is a lot to like in the sound. They said the wooden Tractrix is really a good match with the Beyma driver.

Higher order modes from deficient profiles is the classical reason. Nowadays, in most profiles diffraction from the horn mouth is the typical culprit if no major frequency response issues are present. A slight phase mismatch in the crossover region can also be the reason, but it’s typically more noticed as a nasally reproduction.
Just listing the canonical reasons, nothing pointing this is the case here, don’t see anything jumping out.
Really cool looking project @morricab!
The 18 sound horn uses their computer modelled ellipsoidal profile that was designed to eliminate HOMs and be constant directivity. It has a larger sweet spot than the wooden Tractrix. It also doesn’t have diffraction issues…I just think the material and thickness let it down a bit.

Hello,

Thanks for posting and I’m trying to understand your graph , it appears to me that this is a very “Beamy” graph , is this a good thing ..?

Would this make the speaker sound hot when on axis ..?

Regards
The constant directivity means that the beam is not narrowing significantly at the higher frequencies. A non CD horn will narrow much more.

Reactions: RCanelas
I still need to go back to try the Iwata horn with Beyma CP350TI driver. At 800hz it might be a bit too low.

The 18 sound horn uses their computer modelled ellipsoidal profile that was designed to eliminate HOMs and be constant directivity. It has a larger sweet spot than the wooden Tractrix. It also doesn’t have diffraction issues…I just think the material and thickness let it down a bit.

What are the cut offs of both horns

I still need to go back to try the Iwata horn with Beyma CP350TI driver. At 800hz it might be a bit too low.
I took a look at the driver. you use set amp for this speaker? then you need to flatten the impedance spike if you want to use it below 2khz. this is done with the help of a suction circuit .without that could lead to problems discoloration or shouty.Screenshot_20230715-225001_Write on PDF.jpg

If there is a constant load, e.g. 4 ohms, for which the transformer is intended, the frequency response is linear.
The tube always "sees" the same working resistance.
(e.g. with 300b single-ended )
If the load resistance now increases at a certain frequency (e.g. 2kHz), the tube "sees" a lower load and the output voltage increases.
This increases the volume of the range.
A speaker that has greater impedance fluctuations will not always be linear on a tube amp.

P.S maybe that's the problem and not the horn.

I took a look at the driver. you use set amp for this speaker? then you need to flatten the impedance spike if you want to use it below 2khz. this is done with the help of a suction circuit .without that could lead to problems discoloration or shouty.View attachment 113319

If there is a constant load, e.g. 4 ohms, for which the transformer is intended, the frequency response is linear.
The tube always "sees" the same working resistance.
(e.g. with 300b single-ended )
If the load resistance now increases at a certain frequency (e.g. 2kHz), the tube "sees" a lower load and the output voltage increases.
This increases the volume of the range.
A speaker that has greater impedance fluctuations will not always be linear on a tube amp.

P.S maybe that's the problem and not the horn.
This is not the driver on the 18 sound horn. On the 18 sound horn or wooden Tractrix I use the Beyma CP755TI.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing