WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My top five favorite tweaks - price independent:
-Townshend Seismic Sink (last generation of the air bladder platform) - best isolation I've found for my cd/sacd player-in use for more than a decade.
-Quantum Physics Noise Disruptor - best EMI absorber - on top of my player and power conditioner and under my amp.
-IsoAcoustis Gaia loudspeaker isolation feet - better than any spiked solution I've tried.
-ASI Top Line feet - extraordinary resonance tuning used in combination with the Seismic Sink and other isolation platforms.
-Nordost QRT QV2 and QK1 plug-ins used together (four QV2 with two QK1) - banished sibilance, expanded soundstage, improved tone and timbre - a great value. Modwright Marantz SA8500.jpg IMG_0370-1.jpg IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0381.jpg IMG_6259.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen and Rocoa

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Perhaps my favourite tweaks at this moment:

1.- Nordost QKore

5.jpg

2.- Acoustic Revive, Ultra Low-frequency Pulse Generator R-777

1.jpg

3.- Nordost QV, QK and QX

4.jpg 2.jpg

4.- Taiko Audio Daiza platforms and Stillpoints

8.jpg 3.jpg

5.- Furutech NCF Booster and NCF Booster Signal

6.jpg

6.- Nordost Q Point

7.jpg

8.- Synergistic Research UEF Performance cable elevators

x.png

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Stacore Advanced isolation platform under tt.
Arya Audio Revopods footers under spkrs.
Tubulus Argentus DB-25 cbls from preamp <> preamp psu.
Townshend Maximum supertweeters.

...and last but very much not least, mere £50 spend on 12 cub ft Acoustic Rockwool in hatch void connecting my room to bigger space below. The bang for buck rating on this change trumps everything.

Reactions: Forte

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Roccca
Me thinks your list warrants a more detailed description of what they are what they do. Please? I am most interested in the Nordost Q-point (resonance synchronizer}.

Last edited:

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Gregadd,

I think all these adjustments have been addressed in this forum except perhaps the Nordost Q Point.
I am very happy with the performance of this device at the power stage.
So much so that I'm going to add two more to the system.
Its effect produces fluidity and coherence in the musical message in a somewhat surprising way, both at the darTZeel and Jeff Rowland 625 S2 I own.

It is worth giving it a try and experiencing it in a well-configured system since the effects are very pleasant.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
My tweaks are a lot cheaper and more mechanically inclined.
1) A rigid, rock solid rack system (I use Mapleshade Samsons)
2) Mass loading on the top of each component. (20-40 lbs of lead)
3) Vibration control internally and externally using Noico car damping sheets.
4) Judicious use of Stillpoints ERS Paper.
5) A combination of brass cones to control lateral movement and soft Sorbothane/Navcom to dampen box vibrations.

For a more complete discussion:

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
1- Dalby feet
2- Shun Mook Giant feet
3-Furutech NCF iec's on equipment
4-Audio Magic fuses
5- tube rolling all gear to your ears

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
One of the best "tweaks" I found was to get one of these for more accurate measurements on speaker placement. There are many models of these things and I would guess most would work just fine.

Bosch Laser Tape Measure

Room treatments are definitely # 2, using a live end - dead end method. I built my own diffusers using wooden dowels and bought GIK panels for the absorption.

#3 Experimentation with different equipment footers is needed. Not all components react the same to any one type of footer. Some liked squishy, some wood, some rollerblocks, some rubber things. It's definitely a trial and error process.

#4 For record enthusiasts there is nothing so important as proper setup and isolation of that mechanical spinning device. On that note, getting a record cleaning machine was a vast improvement over dirty vinyl, even new records benefit from a cleaning.

#5 is easy and I know you all do it already. Enjoy a beverage or smoke of your choice.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I would say the Shun Mook's calm things down in such a musical way that they tend to make a system sound more like live music. The Dalby's also take a giant step toward live music in my system, yet they are so visceral and still allow the music to retain that wonderful attack and decay! I have also heard that the newer Dalby's ( mine are the originals) are even better.

Reactions: emoonie and bonzo75

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
1- Dalby feet
2- Shun Mook Giant feet
3-Furutech NCF iec's on equipment
4-Audio Magic fuses
5- tube rolling all gear to your ears
hi5harry,
Which series Audio Magic fuses do you use?
Can you give me a brief description of how they sound?
I'm thinking of using one in my phono preamp once I get it completed.
Thanks!
Scott

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Hi Scott. I don't want to de rail a great thread and sure don't consider myself an expert. I will PM you and give you my and some friends thoughts. Thanks

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My top five favorite tweaks - price independent:
-Townshend Seismic Sink (last generation of the air bladder platform) - best isolation I've found for my cd/sacd player-in use for more than a decade.
-Quantum Physics Noise Disruptor - best EMI absorber - on top of my player and power conditioner and under my amp.
-IsoAcoustis Gaia loudspeaker isolation feet - better than any spiked solution I've tried.
-ASI Top Line feet - extraordinary resonance tuning used in combination with the Seismic Sink and other isolation platforms.
-Nordost QRT QV2 and QK1 plug-ins used together (four QV2 with two QK1) - banished sibilance, expanded soundstage, improved tone and timbre - a great value. View attachment 72961 View attachment 72962 View attachment 72963 View attachment 72964 View attachment 72965
Update - Dalby Lignum Vitae feet have replaced the ASI under my player and on my list of "Top Five" tweaks. Lessloss Firewall CMARC 640X Entropic replaces Quantum Physics Noise Disruptor on my "Top Five" list.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 50

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My absolutely favourite tweak, which happens to also be free, is to throw a blanket on your TV if you have one between your speakers.
Besides that vibration control and noise/EMI rejection is king. Of course, we have a selection of active filters, isolators and reclockers. What I want to share are cheap and easy things we can do.
The separation of audio and non-audio electronics can yield surprising results. It can be caused by direct interference of basic SMPS power supplies and EMI radiated by them. Physical distance and using separate power outlets are key.
Eliminating vibrations as much as possible. You can use wooden cutting boards of suitable shape and size as simple platforms to put your gear on. Many CD players benefit from damping the top cover. We can do that with a heavy book. Rubber circles used for damping AGD vibration are decent entry-level stuff as well. you can find them in your nearest hardware shop.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Seeing how it's tweaks, read up on the Q45T solution. I heard from a buddy with a great ear and a fantastic system saying he was blown away by just trying it in a couple places. I did the same 2 days ago and was very impressed. I think speaker cables are a perfect place to start because it could be easily wiped off, but that won't happen!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Seeing how it's tweaks, read up on the Q45T solution. I heard from a buddy with a great ear and a fantastic system saying he was blown away by just trying it in a couple places. I did the same 2 days ago and was very impressed. I think speaker cables are a perfect place to start because it could be easily wiped off, but that won't happen!
I have never heard of the Q45T solution, however, I did some reasearch and it seems interesting. Will definetly be looking into it. We have heard of other contact solutions but we have never tried them before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing