Flow...continuity

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
why would you listen to anything on a Samsung phone?
Because Samsung S10 has a really good pair of speakers. I actually enjoy listening to it more than many systems I have heard.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You know damn well a statement like that isn't all inclusive. There's no reason to pepper the whole thread before you even ask a question.

Your comment was totally out of whack that the reason for the sound is simply belt.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This is not a loaded question: is your thread's intention to offer examples of 'flow' and 'continuity' in music performance primarily, or is it about equipment character, or both? Could you find a symphonic example?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is not a loaded question: is your thread's intention to offer examples of 'flow' and 'continuity' in music performance primarily, or is it about equipment character, or both? Could you find a symphonic example?

Symphonic is tougher to gauge through a video and has attributes required other than flow. For example separation, dynamics, and frequency extensions. That first speaker might not be able to do many concertos, let alone symphonies, for example. But it rules flow.

It was about flow and continuity in equipment. It already exists in the music. Only the equipment can stop it from coming out

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Your comment was totally out of whack that the reason for the sound is simply belt.

I never said simply belt. You're confusing that I said the thread could simply be retitled with being about belt sound. Since when is anything THAT simple in audio? Give me some credit, don't blow a gasket.

Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The first video, the speaker is the king of tone and flow. It is known to be a famous performance because it as not performed well, but it does not take away the flow character.

Also, it is a single speaker in the General's kitchen.

I have seen flow taken out of a system by changing amps and phono. Speakers matter.

In Tang's system, I don't remember any lack of flow or timing in music when he moved to EMT. Loss of nuance and detail, yes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
De Vito Bach sounded great on headphones. What is the amp with the 833 tube? Does not look exactly like the big Wavac.

Audio music 833. Too much power for the speaker actually.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mono, not stereo :)

Will stereo recording played through a single speaker be mono or stereo

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Sirs,

The Giaconda recording was embedded into a listing(now banned)for the bidders benefit.
The amps are Audio Music 833.

The Milstein performance is superb,ASD 429 is not.

The Mobley is an ED1 47 west 63rd no inc no r,equally superb.

Those that cannot surpass ego cannot fathom the point, as such the punters now outshine the pundits.

Kindest regards,G.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why are you listening through your Samsung? Listen with headphones from your laptop or stream from phone to small speakers

That's what I did, listen with headphones from laptop. The sound still sucks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

In your case it is not the ears, but space between them that is the issue

If you want to learn instead of argue, you can

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
In your case it is not the ears, but space between them that is the issue

If you want to learn instead of argue, you can

I will not stoop down to your level and dignify this with a reply.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
De Vito Bach sounded great on headphones. What is the amp with the 833 tube? Does not look exactly like the big Wavac.

Audio Music

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think idlers tend to flow more so than belts as a whole. Possibly their known drive that assists with this.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think idlers tend to flow more so than belts as a whole. Possibly their known drive that assists with this.

I had heard amazing flow on the direct drive at Mike's, I felt like I should keep spinning LPs. It is just good set up and I am sure most belt fans think direct drives are the antithesis. There are also many belts which are stop start.

The above systems also have some of the most high efficiency easy to drive drivers

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

I am not sure what these videos demonstrate in terms of "flow" either - the sound is really mediocre

Reactions: asiufy and Al M.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I had heard amazing flow on the direct drive at Mike's, I felt like I should keep spinning LPs. It is just good set up and I am sure most belt fans think direct drives are the antithesis. There are also many belts which are stop start.

The above systems also have some of the most high efficiency easy to drive drivers

Will be interesting to see how Mike gets on with his idler versus his DD on flow.

Reactions: bonzo75

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Why are people so defensive and insulting. Flow, continuity? Don't know what that is. All I know is that I enjoy the music when I listen to my humble system.

Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing