bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As compared to this for instance

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
This Shostakovic is without a system. Does it flow?

actually this is not the jazz suite it’s the Suite for variety orchestra often miss aligned with the long missing second jazz suite

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

i find the lollie wrapper crinkling spoils the flow Ked lol !

but great music

love the exponential mid bass horn how low does it go

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah the 8th quartet

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Horrible flow, totally smeared. But then, this is a bad iPhone recording, I presume. I hope that the system sounds nothing like this in real life.

This Shostakovic is without a system. Does it flow?

MUCH better. But still, a great stereo should have better flow than this YouTube compressed digital. Not to speak of actual live music.

Reactions: ack

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hmm

it’s an intersting point this flow

it needs to be in the music

clearly waltz especially ones you can actually dance to helps

a lot of classical music is based on dance forms
the unaccompanied Bach cello suites in the main dance forms bourse, courante , allemande etc

the second movement of Symphony 1 by Mahler is a land which is a folk dance
in the performance
in the recording
and in the playback

and you need to be in the right mood

its a lot that has to come together

i suppose the question is do you really loose that flow with a low hi system

ok maybe it’s less enjoyable

but I suspect the Shostakovich waltz mentioned above will have flow on most systems, as will the Mahler landler

i suppose the question is in music with less clear flow, embedded in the music will the recording or playback disrupt it?

obviously the performance can

i once heard a live performance of third mvmt of Buckner 8 th which I adore completely ruined the flow by the conductor tempi and rests

Reactions: Andrew S.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hmm

it’s an intersting point this flow

it needs to be in the music

clearly waltz especially ones you can actually dance to helps

a lot of classical music is based on dance forms
the unaccompanied Bach cello suites in the main dance forms bourse, courante , allemande etc

the second movement of Symphony 1 by Mahler is a land which is a folk dance
in the performance
in the recording
and in the playback

and you need to be in the right mood

its a lot that has to come together

i suppose the question is do you really loose that flow with a low hi system

ok maybe it’s less enjoyable

but I suspect the Shostakovich waltz mentioned above will have flow on most systems, as will the Mahler landler

i suppose the question is in music with less clear flow, embedded in the music will the recording or playback disrupt it?

obviously the performance can

i once heard a live performance of third mvmt of Buckner 8 th which I adore completely ruined the flow by the conductor tempi and rests

Yes, a system can ruin flow. In classical music this is less of an issue. Yet it still can happen by smearing, or conversely, unnatural 'spikes' in the sound. It can also happen by a general homogenizing of sound.

The underlying rhythm overall though is a bit less vulnerable to distortion in classical, but in jazz and rock a system can completely destroy rhythm.

One of the strengths of my system is rhythm & timing. When I compare rock on my system with my car stereo, I discover how actually bad the rhythm is on the latter, even though with uncritical listening you can still do plenty of headbanging.

Yet on many high end systems it is the other way around: their rhythm is worse than a car radio. It's embarrassing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
i once heard a live performance of third mvmt of Bruckner 8 th which I adore completely ruined the flow by the conductor tempi and rests

I can easily imagine how a performance of this beautiful, majestic slow movement can ruin the flow. That's a tough one to pull off well, the breathing of the music needs to be right.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes, a system can ruin flow. In classical music this is less of an issue. Yet it still can happen by smearing, or conversely, unnatural 'spikes' in the sound. It can also happen by a general homogenizing of sound.

The underlying rhythm overall though is a bit less vulnerable to distortion in classical, but in jazz and rock a system can completely destroy rhythm.

One of the strengths of my system is rhythm & timing. When I compare rock on my system with my car stereo, I discover how actually bad the rhythm is on the latter, even though with uncritical listening you can still do plenty of headbanging.

Yet on many high end systems it is the other way around: their rhythm is worse than a car radio. It's embarrassing.

interesting Al, I get what your saying I know nothing about rock but jazz I understand

Joe Morello’s genius on time out take five is much more obvious with a high end system and appreciate that track much more than I used to in the old days, but I guess there was still flow then....

Reactions: jeff1225 and Al M.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

my emphasis

There's your ticket... the conductor, the orchestra's clock.
Try Peter Maag with The Hebrides.

If one feels flow must have to do with equipment, it's more about the source.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Coincidentally enough, Fremer in the November issue while reviewing the budget phono from Boulder mentions that aside from transparency and tonal neutrality the greatest thing of this phono is its ability to allow Musical Flow

He also mentions the recording he used was Haitink at 90 conducting Bruckner 7 with Berliner. Interestingly Haitink at 86 or 87 conducting the same with LSO was brilliant and then the following year I went to watch him conduct it at concertgebouw.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
In the first video the speaker is the Loth minstrel.

I thought that was a Stamm driver.

I really enjoyed the sound of this system. Thank you for posting the video.

A good friend of mine had a pair of Troubadours, before he passed away last year. I loved them with his A09 300B. He used a Bardo/3012/Koestu SPU's.

De Vito Bach sounded great on headphones.

Didn't she though! And the LSO under Kubelik. Superb.

Her complete works are available on PrimePhonic to stream, should anyone be interested (gosh I plug PrimePhonic alot....no affliation - I just love it.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought that was a Stamm driver.

I really enjoyed the sound of this system. Thank you for posting the video.

A good friend of mine had a pair of Troubadours, before he passed away last year. I loved them with his A09 300B. He used a Bardo/3012/Koestu SPU's.

Didn't she though! And the LSO under Kubelik. Superb.

Her complete works are available on PrimePhonic to stream, should anyone be interested (gosh I plug PrimePhonic alot....no affliation - I just love it.)

Hi yes, you are impressive if you know the Stamm.

What did you think of the tune audio Anima and the AG trios?

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
What did you think of the tune audio Anima and the AG trios?
Ahhh - never got to hear the Anima's. Would love to. I only heard the Prime (awful) and the Marvel (better). The latter suffered I thought - like the Cessaro Chopin - from having the horn tweeter quite high. You need to be a fair way back from them to have them get coherent.

But you know - its always been in someone else's place, or a dealers, and I've never owned any. So it is always hard to be too critical.

I've never managed to enjoy any Avantgardes, including the Trios, regardless of electronics. The integration with their sub isn't right to my ears, and I always feel they keep shouting at me. It has never a relaxing experience for me.

They do have a big, extremely dynamic, impressive and immersive sound - but one I tire of very quickly.

But I am sure many other folk have and love them, and I can certainly see their appeal.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
He also mentions the recording he used was Haitink at 90 conducting Bruckner 7 with Berliner. Interestingly Haitink at 86 or 87 conducting the same with LSO was brilliant and then the following year I went to watch him conduct it at concertgebouw.

Wow. Kudos. The RCO is one of my absolutely favourite orchestras. How absolutely marvellous.

I'll now bid eveyone a good night, or good day, as the case may be. Late here, and De Vito has captured my attention...

Reactions: Mikem53

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ahhh - never got to hear the Anima's. Would love to. I only heard the Prime (awful) and the Marvel (better). The latter suffered I thought - like the Cessaro Chopin - from having the horn tweeter quite high. You need to be a fair way back from them to have them get coherent.

But you know - its always been in someone else's place, or a dealers, and I've never owned any. So it is always hard to be too critical.

I've never managed to enjoy any Avantgardes, including the Trios, regardless of electronics. The integration with their sub isn't right to my ears, and I always feel they keep shouting at me. It has never a relaxing experience for me.

They do have a big, extremely dynamic, impressive and immersive sound - but one I tire of very quickly.

But I am sure many other folk have and love them, and I can certainly see their appeal.

The Marvel and prime are that way. The Anima is much different from them and quite superior so you cannot extrapolate experience from them to the Anima. You may or may not like the Anima but that's a different discussion.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In De Vito video, the surface noise disrupt all the flow...continuity. I have a few De Vito's but surface noise ruins the mood too. These records are too old to get any good condition.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think Gioconda De Vito absolutely butchered that Bach. Sounded like she had had a few cheeky ones before she played that :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing