FM Acoustics 711 MK 3

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Dear "Folsom"
Can you indicate where this is written, or send a photograph that proves what you say

Looks like I’m wrong. Maybe I am just not current enough on their gear. The 30 uses the super fader but other’s do not.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Looks like I’m wrong. Maybe I am just not current enough on their gear. The 30 uses the super fader but other’s do not.

To the best of my knowledge, there have never been stepped, resistor/relay preamps

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
After in hiatus for last 6-7yrs, this covid thing brought that darn itch back in me. To cut story short, after amp searching for past 6 months or so, decided to stay with FMA..
Amongst others in/around the price range considered were Mephisto Solo, Boulder 3060, Pilium Hercules, Audionet Heisenberg and CH M10. All renowned great amps, more of personal taste.
The 711mkII which was the base of comparisons, was then loaned to me by my good dealer for 3 long months whilst awaiting new 711MKIII ordered.

And now I know..
711 MkII vs MKIII is not merely designation sake bestowed upon their newer model.
Although more of the same (agree with most of the descriptives in a review of the 711 MKII+268C in some hifi mag few years back), there’s real and serious improvements—almost sounded like a different amp, dare I say, in a different league.
My system sounded like a subwoofer or two been added to it, deeper, weightier more controlled bass.. I hear better subsonics, as well as recorded ambiance because of this major (to me) improvement.
Older recordings such as Dean Martin, Elvis, Nina Simone etc that at times hard to listen to, came through with such lifelike presence, sense of vigor/density, analog like ease, and emotion.. Did I say ‘emotion’??—hell yeah Elvis is in the house! These results I suspect are culmination of the aforementioned (bass) quality improvement, plus lower noise floor and also significant uptick in resolution..
So for now, no giant nor multiple boxes for me, this tiny stereo thingy earned quite a rather special place in my heart..
Did peaked my curiosity as to what magic potion was sprinkled in there that made such difference, but FMA anticipated that well, to avoid prying eyes and hands, ‘one’ of the top 8 screws is unique enough that I cannot get a pass through it (yet) at the moment.

Stay safe everyone

First Pic : Dealer loaner 711MKII
18745DDF-0176-42AD-92D4-B6B6EFFF8A82.jpeg 77F048E6-36A5-4DA7-9DBE-AF9AC7A6A59C.jpeg 77689266-507E-4C5E-AB57-8F6C435AE5CF.jpeg EF2A68E6-9729-45EA-8F3D-A008E820ECF5.jpeg 74A62E8B-33B1-407B-9FF8-6D804863DA6A.jpeg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big congrats!!! Wow! Look forward to reading more if you get a chance...did you ever end up hearing the big Boulder, Gryphon?

Reactions: bvdiman

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
After in hiatus for last 6-7yrs, this covid thing brought that darn itch back in me. To cut story short, after amp searching for past 6 months or so, decided to stay with FMA..
Amongst others in/around the price range considered were Mephisto Solo, Boulder 3060, Pilium Hercules, Audionet Heisenberg and CH M10. All renowned great amps, more of personal taste.
The 711mkII which was the base of comparisons, was then loaned to me by my good dealer for 3 long months whilst awaiting new 711MKIII ordered.

And now I know..
711 MkII vs MKIII is not merely designation sake bestowed upon their newer model.
Although more of the same (agree with most of the descriptives in a review of the 711 MKII+268C in some hifi mag few years back), there’s real and serious improvements—almost sounded like a different amp, dare I say, in a different league.
My system sounded like a subwoofer or two been added to it, deeper, weightier more controlled bass.. I hear better subsonics, as well as recorded ambiance because of this major (to me) improvement.
Older recordings such as Dean Martin, Elvis, Nina Simone etc that at times hard to listen to, came through with such lifelike presence, sense of vigor/density, analog like ease, and emotion.. Did I say ‘emotion’??—hell yeah Elvis is in the house! These results I suspect are culmination of the aforementioned (bass) quality improvement, plus lower noise floor and also significant uptick in resolution..
So for now, no giant nor multiple boxes for me, this tiny stereo thingy earned quite a rather special place in my heart..
Did peaked my curiosity as to what magic potion was sprinkled in there that made such difference, but FMA anticipated that well, to avoid prying eyes and hands, ‘one’ of the top 8 screws is unique enough that I cannot get a pass through it (yet) at the moment.

Stay safe everyone

View attachment 73568 View attachment 73586 View attachment 73587 View attachment 73588 View attachment 73589
My FM 611X is over 10 years old but still does a great job driving Wilson Alexandria 2.2. I've thought about trying other amps (such as CH M1.1 Stereo) but your post cooled down the upgrade urge considerably. Granted I have a different amp than the ones you tried in your system, but to my ears, there is a certain "musical rightness" to the FM sound. Which speakers are you using?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard the FM Acoustics FM111 mono with our system in our home. Agree on the musical rightness. This particular set lacked the power I was hoping for...and the mighty Gryphon Mephisto suited my tastes well. However, I have to say the FMA did indeed sound great with the older Wilson X1s we had at that time, and can imagine what more powerful FMA amps would sound like with our XLFs.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I am extremely familiar with Mephisto driving XLFs. A very good friend of mine auditioned many well-known pre/power amp combos with XLF and felt Mephisto monos did the best job overall. I was at many of the auditioning sessions and Mephisto indeed had fantastic bass slam and control. At first I thought the Mephisto monos might sound a bit rough on the edges; they certainly have more than enough power to drive the speakers well but might be lacking in finesse, but it was not the case at all!

In my experience, for most amp brands, the bigger and more powerful amps actually sound worse than the smaller ones. Not FM. More power also meant better sound. Unfortunately FM amps are also not known for dynamic slam, and one of the reasons why I ended up driving my FM amp with a Soulution pre.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Zbub,

Thank you for sharing that...very interesting. I could absolutely imagine what you say about FM, having heard the lower powered version, and then hearing the next level up (monos)...same remarkably beautiful sense of 'real music' but with greater ease.

As for Mephistos & XLF, it is helpful to hear what others have done in their own systems when some of us do not have the ability to hear lots of other options. Do you recall what your friend auditioned with his XLFs before choosing the Mephisto monos?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great report. I love FMA, also love that they still force you to use their own cables and the cords are still not detachable!

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I don't mind the non-detachable power cord. One less variables (and less money) to worry about, and the fact that the power cord cables are hardwired to the amp have sonic benefits as well.

I used to use FM's own speaker cables mostly because the type of super size banana plugs is uncommon. I ended up buying a set of banana plug adaptors from Japan and had better results with another brand of speaker cables.

Reactions: dan31 and ack

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
@zbub,
Am still driving old Tidal Contriva TT fronted by equally ancient Accuphase digital.. No longer interested (nor have the time and funds ;p) in chasing the em go-around sota, goal now is simplifying to less box/cabling compact system wherever possible and just enjoy more music.. Well, ok, perhaps just one last speaker buy, and a digital upgrade and I’m done...for good. :p

@LL21,
Yes did get to hear all the mentioned sota amps. Except M10 (which was not available yet), was in fact closest candidate as I could get it for less money than 711mk3, and its gain adjustability was essential to run with my preamp’s high output. Did only managed to audition the M1.1 monos, in a nutshell, preferred the 711mk2 tonality—or as Zbub puts it—‘musical rightness’ I suppose..
As for the rest of the pack, no gain adjust means needing to change my preamp as well is stopper for me, although each with their respective sound goodness do captivate in certain ways, but after thirty years gotten used to FMA sound, my ears just got numbed~lol, hard to part with its sonics ways.

@zbub,
I had 611 (og compact version of yours) for 20yrs+ and loved them.. However the 115 I had for a while was a different animal dynamic wise (PRAT)—likewise the 711mk2. I initially wanted to get 115 back, but wanted to reduce boxes, and also thought that 711mk3 was FMA’s most recent amp which got updated~2017 I think (711mk2 in 2007–a ten yearly thing?), so went with it and no regret. I heard only minor circuit with some diode changes implemented, but the result~exemplary, imo. This goes to show that their ‘97 design (*711) still stood the test of time even by today’s standard.

In hindsight, my initial v.positive impression of 711mk3 vs 711mk2 leaped in dynamic and resolution above could ‘partly’ be attributable to their new Forceline3 spkr cable that was shipped with 711mk3. It was visually/physically a tad thinner (*see/compare pics above—thought they wrongly shipped the Forceline5 instead until I rechecked its accompanying carry case/cert.), yet somehow feels more solid under the sheathing, and from memory, was a little heavier as well. Dealer did mention that their new most recent cabling (Forceline and PITs) are quieter and more dynamic. Give their new cabling a try if you could. Lookwise, virtually no difference between old/new PIT xlr, but thinner with printing at forceplug ends on their new spkr cable.

*To me, FMA is idealistically designed with its own sonic/sound goal in mind. Break them apart, you’ll then need patching thru cabling as costly tone control as I have ‘not so quickly’ learned. But upon gravitating back as in let their pre+amp work in unity, the less and lesser I find the need of such (quite) expensive cabling.

Reactions: CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff Bvdiman. The FM was a genuinely special sound and shockingly effortless and 'right' once you hear it...and it seems so effortless, it genuinely makes me wonder why more amps seem to 'pitch' the sound so many different ways other than 'right'. Would love to hear the 711Mk3 someday...and until then will continue to enjoy the Gryphon Mephisto. Candidly, I do feel the Gryphon has more 'signature' than the FM I heard...I love its signature which includes massive musical 'solidity' in its presentation which I find irresistible, but it is recognizable and I suppose therefore a signature.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Great stuff Bvdiman. The FM was a genuinely special sound and shockingly effortless and 'right' once you hear it...and it seems so effortless, it genuinely makes me wonder why more amps seem to 'pitch' the sound so many different ways other than 'right'. Would love to hear the 711Mk3 someday...and until then will continue to enjoy the Gryphon Mephisto. Candidly, I do feel the Gryphon has more 'signature' than the FM I heard...I love its signature which includes massive musical 'solidity' in its presentation which I find irresistible, but it is recognizable and I suppose therefore a signature.

Gosh Lloyd..
must’ve been at least fifteen years since we first chat (online)? I recall we both had Strads at some point, you went Wilson whie I trodded the Magico route for a while.

If only the 3060, Mephisto Solo or Heisenberg had gain adjustability, I would’ve probably jumped on anyone of them first lol. coz each is equally tempting as they got differing strength/signatures which I could live with happily as well.
Waiting on an amp for three months while itch is strong is pure torture..
Anyways..savor the journey my friend, keep well!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gosh Lloyd..
must’ve been at least fifteen years since we first chat (online)? I recall we both had Strads at some point, you went Wilson whie I trodded the Magico route for a while.

If only the 3060, Mephisto Solo or Heisenberg had gain adjustability, I would’ve probably jumped on anyone of them first lol. coz each is equally tempting as they got differing strength/signatures which I could live with happily as well.
Waiting on an amp for three months while itch is strong is pure torture..
Anyways..savor the journey my friend, keep well!
Wow...that is incredible. I think you must be right! I do remember that! Personally, I also could easily live with Mephistos...but also intuitively feel highly confident I could go with the bigger FMAs and the 3060. I have never heard the AudioNet stuff but all indications are it is also sensational. But if I had to...i feel confident, I could go big FMA or 3060 without ever having to audition...my limited experiences with both brands has been that good.

As for waiting...yes, I definitely know something of waiting months, and it is torture...and only 'may' make the final arrival that much sweeter. Keep well!

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020

And now I know..

Stay safe everyone

View attachment 73568 View attachment 73586 View attachment 73587 View attachment 73588 View attachment 73589
i think i have a bit for that top screw:) dont see it often but i do have the bit for it:) post some internal pictures if you can:)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
i think i have a bit for that top screw:) dont see it often but i do have the bit for it:) post some internal pictures if you can:)
Yes, this is NOT unsolvable!
;)

77689266-507E-4C5E-AB57-8F6C435AE5CF~2.jpeg

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
@zbub,
Am still driving old Tidal Contriva TT fronted by equally ancient Accuphase digital.. No longer interested (nor have the time and funds ;p) in chasing the em go-around sota, goal now is simplifying to less box/cabling compact system wherever possible and just enjoy more music.. Well, ok, perhaps just one last speaker buy, and a digital upgrade and I’m done...for good. :p

@LL21,
Yes did get to hear all the mentioned sota amps. Except M10 (which was not available yet), was in fact closest candidate as I could get it for less money than 711mk3, and its gain adjustability was essential to run with my preamp’s high output. Did only managed to audition the M1.1 monos, in a nutshell, preferred the 711mk2 tonality—or as Zbub puts it—‘musical rightness’ I suppose..
As for the rest of the pack, no gain adjust means needing to change my preamp as well is stopper for me, although each with their respective sound goodness do captivate in certain ways, but after thirty years gotten used to FMA sound, my ears just got numbed~lol, hard to part with its sonics ways.

@zbub,
I had 611 (og compact version of yours) for 20yrs+ and loved them.. However the 115 I had for a while was a different animal dynamic wise (PRAT)—likewise the 711mk2. I initially wanted to get 115 back, but wanted to reduce boxes, and also thought that 711mk3 was FMA’s most recent amp which got updated~2017 I think (711mk2 in 2007–a ten yearly thing?), so went with it and no regret. I heard only minor circuit with some diode changes implemented, but the result~exemplary, imo. This goes to show that their ‘97 design (*711) still stood the test of time even by today’s standard.

In hindsight, my initial v.positive impression of 711mk3 vs 711mk2 leaped in dynamic and resolution above could ‘partly’ be attributable to their new Forceline3 spkr cable that was shipped with 711mk3. It was visually/physically a tad thinner (*see/compare pics above—thought they wrongly shipped the Forceline5 instead until I rechecked its accompanying carry case/cert.), yet somehow feels more solid under the sheathing, and from memory, was a little heavier as well. Dealer did mention that their new most recent cabling (Forceline and PITs) are quieter and more dynamic. Give their new cabling a try if you could. Lookwise, virtually no difference between old/new PIT xlr, but thinner with printing at forceplug ends on their new spkr cable.

*To me, FMA is idealistically designed with its own sonic/sound goal in mind. Break them apart, you’ll then need patching thru cabling as costly tone control as I have ‘not so quickly’ learned. But upon gravitating back as in let their pre+amp work in unity, the less and lesser I find the need of such (quite) expensive cabling.
It’ll be sweet to be able to audition 115. Years ago I had an opportunity to audition 811 at home but I decided not to, as I was afraid I’ll like it too much but still can’t afford it. I would then be super miserable haha.
Would love to see the inside of your 711 Mk III. From the pictures of 711 Mk I and Mk II online, they look very similar to the 411 I used to own. I was told 711-series use EI transformer.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Standard components nothing special, I've read they match transistors and components very precisely. that is probably the secret of the much praised sound.

P.S a No Go Cable ties around the capacitors are usually only seen as DiY 91ab6a31026663499f8d5f2cf16e9bc7.jpg

Reactions: analogsa

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Oh shoot.. Still empty inside after all these decades?!! Faint* lol
Is offtopic...sorry when you need a good Amp with much Power.
try to buy such a used amp. unfortunately they are no longer produced the best I've ever heard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing