Follow-up to "On or Off?"

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
A few years ago (2013) I did a poll of listeners here as to whether they listen to music mostly with lights on or off.
-The thread poll is here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11816-On-or-Off

Without doing a poll this time, I'd like to know if you feel the presentation is more realistic with room lighting dimmed or off when compared to being left on.

Additionally, do you as an individual (not in general) feel that you need the lights dimmed, lights off, or your eyes closed in order to get a better facsimile of the presentation desired from your stereo systems?

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like the lights dimmed but not off because when I like what I'm hearing I close my eyes anyway and I get near total darkness. With the lights on bright, the light still get's through my eyelids.

So if I'm in your place and my eyes are closed it means I'm having a good time :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I like the lights dimmed but not off because when I like what I'm hearing I close my eyes anyway and I get near total darkness. With the lights on bright, the light still get's through my eyelids.

So if I'm in your place and my eyes are closed it means I'm having a good time :)

Thanks Jack. If you fall asleep, I've failed miserably!

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nah, it could very well be jet lag! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For me the presentation is more realistic with lights dimmed and I have a tendency shortly thereafter to close my eyes as I progress more into the program. For some odd reason I am just never comfortable with the lights off and sitting in total darkness right from the start.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
For me the presentation is more realistic with lights dimmed and I have a tendency shortly thereafter to close my eyes as I progress more into the program. For some odd reason I am just never comfortable with the lights off and sitting in total darkness right from the start.

I am like this too, but I rarely closed the lids. I love "mood" lighting the room with lights on the art and having two halogens outside to light up the garden. The window is very important to me. I love to look outside of the room as I listen.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Andre-Since my listening room is 9' underground with no windows, I can turn off the lights and make the room black as night and you can tell me which way you like it better next Saturday.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I usually listen alone in the dark.

When you come out and say it, it does seem a bit strange.

LOL! Yes it does!

Now because Steve is a bad influence, I did this for non-serious listening time. The cooling fans of the lasers are pretty noisy.
Sorry for the low res upload.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A few years ago (2013) I did a poll of listeners here as to whether they listen to music mostly with lights on or off.
-The thread poll is here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11816-On-or-Off

Without doing a poll this time, I'd like to know if you feel the presentation is more realistic with room lighting dimmed or off when compared to being left on.

Additionally, do you as an individual (not in general) feel that you need the lights dimmed, lights off, or your eyes closed in order to get a better facsimile of the presentation desired from your stereo systems?
Dre

@ night my lights are always dimmed. ...Listening to music or not. ...And in 3D (movies on Blu-ray), it is total darkness, for best presentation.

Right now I am listening to music (soft Jazz from the ECM music record label - Sunrise) | Masabumi Kikuchi Trio), and I am outside sitting in a very comfy loveseat.
The temperature is warm, very (30° Celsius), and it's a beautiful day with blue sky and faint tracks of white clouds, ...the sun is on my right behind the cedar trees.
And the hummingbirds are just happy humming all along with the music.

Music listening is always happening/playing here, and it don't matter the light, or if it is @ night outside with only the moonlight and the stars in the sky.

I spend more time outside than inside, from Spring to Fall. ...And there are no walls and no ceiling outside. ...And I go with the natural light; sun, moon, stars.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
LOL! Yes it does!]

Now because Steve is a bad influence said:
Yes he is, without a doubt! When he fired up his laser it took me back to the days when I had foil over my bedroom windows and a color organ that I made in Jr. High electronics class.

I love to listen in very dimmed light when it permits, but I am with North on his perspective also. I always have music on all the time. I will not, not listen to music if I cant dim the lights.

My two channel room in Ky had a floor to ceiling window between the speakers that looked out onto the most beautiful country side. My favorite time to listen was at sunset into darkness. Amazing!

My theater in the walkout basement had blackout curtains for total darkness during the day for the projector. MC Dark Side Of The Moon in the dark in the theater was phenomenal!

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Andre-Since my listening room is 9' underground with no windows, I can turn off the lights and make the room black as night and you can tell me which way you like it better next Saturday.

I'm pretty certain my preference would be lights on or slightly dimmed.

I'm looking forward to the visit next weekend.

Dre

BTW: WELCOME BACK to WBF!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm pretty certain my preference would be lights on or slightly dimmed.

I'm looking forward to the visit next weekend.

Dre

BTW: WELCOME BACK to WBF!

9 feet underground, just make sure his favorite movie is not Silence Of The lambs! ;)

“Hello Clarice...”

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I like to listen with ample light, as long as they are not into my eyes.

Whether is it in the day time with lights through the windows, or in the evening, with with lights behind me, I feel more energetic listening with eyes wide open, and I always feel I can enjoy the music better this way.

Listening in the dark, or dimmed light, otoh, makes me drowsy, and that has made me dozed off on many occasions.
Dozing off, head down, reduces oxygen to the brain, so listening this way can make me feel more tired.

:p

The emm lab combo (with manual track cueing methods) and ELP laser player excel in getting transients and timing correct, so I rarely need to devote mental effort nor feel the need to close my eyes, or even listening in the dark in an attempt to "imagerize" the soundstaging in my head.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Thanks John

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Lights are always dimmed (or off) for me but never on

I am like this too, but I rarely closed the lids. I love "mood" lighting the room with lights on the art and having two halogens outside to light up the garden. The window is very important to me. I love to look outside of the room as I listen.

I usually listen alone in the dark.

When you come out and say it, it does seem a bit strange.

Based on your replies, Do you feel that you need the lights dimmed, lights off, or your eyes closed in order to get a better facsimile of the presentation desired from your stereo systems?

Thanks,
Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I like to listen with ample light, as long as they are not into my eyes.

Whether is it in the day time with lights through the windows, or in the evening, with with lights behind me, I feel more energetic listening with eyes wide open, and I always feel I can enjoy the music better this way.

Listening in the dark, or dimmed light, otoh, makes me drowsy, and that has made me dozed off on many occasions.
Dozing off, head down, reduces oxygen to the brain, so listening this way can make me feel more tired.

:p

The emm lab combo (with manual track cueing methods) and ELP laser player excel in getting transients and timing correct, so I rarely need to devote mental effort nor feel the need to close my eyes, or even listening in the dark in an attempt to "imagerize" the soundstaging in my head.

Thanks jeromelang

Dre

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
My system is set up in our townhouse's greatroom, which is a combo kitchen/dining/living room. I prefer to listen at night with a single recessed light turned on in a corner behind me. I find low light to be more relaxing than complete darkness.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Unless I am reading, there are no lights on in the living room. However, a recessed 18" flouresent light in the kitchen provides sufficient light for anything else.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing