For what it's Worth-Tesla

My son has a standard range M3. 77,000 miles. Little to no battery loss.
my son has had his model 3 since the car came to market. He has close to 90,000 miles and only a 5% battery loss. He'll never sell the car as he got free lifetime Tesla Super Charger

My son has a standard range M3. 77,000 miles. Little to no battery loss.
Good for him. Not even Tesla makes that claim. Let's just call it a lucky coin.

My son got his car in early 2020 so no free supercharging. My wife’s S has it and a sun roof so we are keeping that. My son is trading in his 3 for a new Y.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I love my 3 but for the Florida carriage house we got a Y. My wife went down to take delivery. I gave yet to see it. It will be easier to get two golf bags in it.

I love my 3 but for the Florida carriage house we got a Y. My wife went down to take delivery. I gave yet to see it.
FWIW all model Y's come with rear side windows tinted.

I think the warranty is better than I imagined assuming that it is replace4d at no cost. Rarely is that the case. Most are pro rata.
But to suggest there is little or no degradation in range is not accurate. Even supporters acknowledge an initial decrease in range followed by a slower decline. The warranty does not kick in until it dips below 70% of its range when new. With an initial range of 300 mile a 30%decrease would be significant. Add that to a recommendation of charging only to 70%.
But the proof is in the pudding. If you are getting good results, no worries.

I think the warranty is better than I imagined assuming that it is replace4d at no cost. Rarely is that the case. Most are pro rata.
But to suggest there is little or no degradation in range is not accurate. Even supporters acknowledge an initial decrease in range followed by a slower decline. The warranty does not kick in until it dips below 70% of its range when new. With an initial range of 300 mile a 30%decrease would be significant. Add that to a recommendation of charging only to 70%.
But the proof is in the pudding. If you are getting good results, no worries.
recommended charging is and always has been 80-90% AFAIK . On rare occasions charging to 100% is allowed provided you drive off immediately after full charge.

Some of the videos are dated. You should follow the manufacturers' instructions to avoid voiding your warranty. It would seem 100% charge be reserved for long trips.

Some of the videos are dated. You should follow the manufacturers' instructions to avoid voiding your warranty. It would seem 100% charge be reserved for long trips.
yup. you're correct. I would personally never charge mine to 100%

The average horsepower of our four cars is 390hp. So our gasoline bills in Los Angeles are very high!

You might want to use online calcs if you are trying to save by changing a vehicle. It almost never saves you money; unless you were making the same payments and owe the same amount on whatever you swap.

I am with you that Vroom is fun. I couldn't really care less if Steve is at his finish line waiting. There's always something faster out there.

I like " speed " , i used to have a Ducati streetfighter 1098 / kawasaki racer and i did several trackdays .
Currently i have a " slow " touring motor bike (still 3,1 sec / 100 hundred km/h)
Especially the L twin DUC pulled like crazy

Nothing wrong with eletric car acceleration i like it . :)
I was skeptical as well , but both the bmw and the tesla were a lot of fun.
Its not the top speed what makes it exciting , its the acceleration

Last edited:
Also, if you have grid connected solar, I think it's a nice contribution to the community but you could also do that and not have an EV.

That's what I have. Grid connected solar on my roof and not an EV. I have solar for environmental responsibility, and since 2016 I drive a small and light ICE car (Nissan Versa SE) with great gas mileage, also for reasons of environmental responsibility -- and wow, is it fun to drive!

At this point I don't think it makes sense to me to switch to EV based on environmental considerations, for all the reasons you have mentioned.

Making the new car costs tremendous energy, and I'll drive mine until it's dead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing