For what it's Worth-Tesla

Totally agree with your take, Dave. They do talk like religious zealots sometimes, and without data to back up their exaggerated claims.

As I said before, I have decided that for me personally the best and most environmentally friendly solution is to drive my very full-efficient little ICE (2015 Nissan Versa; gets about 250 miles out of 8.8 gallons) until it's dead. And I also have solar panels on my house for environmental impact.
Cmon Al. Really. You do what you feel best for yourself and I say all the best to you. However when someone talks something but what you believe you’re all over their backs. Everyone makes decisions a propos to their life’s desires and goals. Quit being so narrow sighted. You do what is good for you and we will do what’s good for us. Or do you see a problem in this It’s simple as I see it. My energy costs are zero. That makes me very happy when the cost of all forms of energy is rising. I won’t ever go back to an ICE car. If that makes me a zealot “ mea culpa”

Cmon Al. Really. You do what you feel best for yourself and I say all the best to you. However when someone talks something but what you believe you’re all over their backs. Everyone makes decisions a propos to their life’s desires and goals. Quit being so narrow sighted. You do what is good for you and we will do what’s good for us. Or do you see a problem in this It’s simple as I see it. My energy costs are zero. That makes me very happy when the cost of all forms of energy is rising. I won’t ever go back to an ICE car. If that makes me a zealot “ mea culpa”

Steve, I was not arguing against EVs per se (they will have to be the future eventually), and if I understand you correctly, you bought your EV primarily for cost reasons.

I was arguing against the over-promising and over-advocating by some zealots on what EVs (currently) can do for the environment. That does not seem to include you. So I don't see why you should feel offended by my post in any way.

Reactions: steve williams
I find this confusing. Replacing a Tesla battery after 6 years for $2200. That sounds doubtful
Could be the 12v accessories battery.

Ours required replacement in year two (or perhaps it was early in year three).

Steve, I was not arguing against EVs per se (they will have to be the future eventually), and if I understand you correctly, you bought your EV primarily for cost reasons.

I was arguing against the over-promising and over-advocating by some zealots on what EVs (currently) can do for the environment. That does not seem to include you. So I don't see why you should feel offended by my post in any way.
I’m not the least bit offended. To me we are all adults and at the end of the day we make decisions that favor our life goals so thank you for explaining. I appreciate that Al. Where I am in my life I made the decision to go this route because I felt it would make things easier as I am retired and in a fixed income. The investment tax credits being offered were also a big help for me so at the end of the day I made my decision as it suited me. As they say YMMV

Reactions: Al M.
Could be the 12v accessories battery.

Ours required replacement in year two (or perhaps it was early in year three).
Where I live it seems that our community has gone solar and EV. I would say that easily 1in 3 homeowners have panels on the roofs and easily 1 in 10 cars I see are Tesla. Hard to believe but it’s fact. On my street which is small, I can count 9-10 Teslas Finally here in California the number of Teslas seen on the roads is staggering when I compare to other states I’ve visited recently So agsin, different strokes for different folks. I still know of no one who had to replace their battery in or out of warranty.

I still know of no one who had to replace their battery in or out of warranty.
Well count me as one.

2019 Tesla Model 3. The 12V battery was not under warranty. As I recall it was at the end of year two or early year three. It died and the car was not drivable. Required towing to a service center.

If that's the battery referenced by @Gregadd that was replaced along with a brakes and alternator, then $2200 seems possible.

Well count me as one.

2019 Tesla Model 3. The 12V battery was not under warranty. As I recall it was at the end of year two or early year three. It died and the car was not drivable. Required towing to a service center.

If that's the battery referenced by @Gregadd that was replaced along with a brakes and alternator, then $2200 seems possible.
I’m not talking a 12v battery. I’m talking the $22K Tesla battery pack. All 12v batteries die.

I’m not talking a 12v battery. I’m talking the $22K Tesla battery pack. All 12v batteries die.
Right. That's what I assumed you were referring to.

However, @Gregadd did not specifywhich battery was replaced in the post you quoted where you expressed doubt.

Since I have experience with Tesla replacing a 12v battery, I thought I would offer an data point to offer an explanation for which battery @Gregadd's niece might have had replaced in the $2200 service, since the total cost seems in the ballpark considering brakes and alternator.

I'm not looking to get into a debate. I was simply offering some possible insight.

Have a good evening.

Last edited:
This is why the Prius Prime gets my attention. Plug-in hybrid with EV range rated up to 44 miles (let's say 25 miles real-world in the city), then the ICE motor kicks in.

To provide background...we own a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor. Rarely does it get used more than 25 miles per day. We charge it at the slow rate of 4-5 miles per hour on household 110V, and that's sufficed over four years of ownership.

I agree, the new Prius looks really nice. Of course now that it's nice, it's also more expensive, but they do offer AWD which I need living in Colorado. I'd have to look at the '24s, but I don't think you can get it as a plug-in hybrid and have AWD at the same time unfortunately.

I think plug-in hybrids make the most sense for the most people, and for most use cases end up being the most environmentally friendly option too. This is why Toyota isn't going all-in on EVs. No huge batteries, ICE convenience and range when you need it. I'd consider one. Right now I think GM, Ford and Tesla are panicking as EV prices and sales fall, the thought that we can transition to all EV so quickly was never going to happen unless the US gov't invested a couple trillion in infrastructure. Musk recently said we need 2-3x the electricity production we have now to support both EVs as well as buildings moving to electric heat pumps... that's going to take some time. Hopefully battery tech will improve in the meantime, Toyota's solid state battery looks promising, but it seems like a new battery has been just around the corner for decades now, kind of like fusion power generation. Coming from Toyota I have hopes it may be real.

Reactions: christoph
Right. That's what I assumed you were referring to.

However, @Gregadd did not specify in the post you quoted which battery was replaced.

Since I have experience with Tesla replacing a 12v battery, I thought I would offer an data point to offer an explanation for which battery @Gregadd's niece might have had replaced in the $2200 service, since the total cost seems in the ballpark considering brakes and alternator.

I'm not looking to get into a debate. I was simply offering some possible insight.

Have a good evening.
From.everything I’ve read the 12v battery failures occurred because people werent driving their cars long enough for the battery pack to charge the 12 v battery

in talking the main battery pack for the car that has to be replaced in or out of warranty

almost all 12v failures were due to lack of driving the car and thus the 12 volt battery wasn’t being charged adequately

I don't think you can get it as a plug-in hybrid and have AWD at the same time unfortunately.
Correct. Prius Prime does not offer AWD.

In fact, Toyota's Prius website shows a dashed line next to AWD, so I'm not sure it's available on Prius models either. Maybe forthcoming?

Correct. Prius Prime does not offer AWD.

In fact, Toyota's Prius website shows a dashed line next to AWD, so I'm not sure it's available on Prius models either. Maybe forthcoming?

You can get AWD with the other Prius models. I have no idea why Toyota can't offer both AWD and plug-in at the same time. With plug-in and a 44 mile range I wouldn't be using much gas, but I do want AWD.

Why all this complaining in the thread , look at the positive aspects

In a sunny environment like where steve lives its a no brainer .
If you like speed buy a Plaid ( hypercar performance with no fuel costs .)

Thats what i call a good deal . :cool:

Ps apart from all the green discussions electric cars are here to stay as the driving expirience is more quit / more instant torque / more modern futuristique driving experience

Reactions: steve williams
You can get AWD with the other Prius models. I have no idea why Toyota can't offer both AWD and plug-in at the same time. With plug-in and a 44 mile range I wouldn't be using much gas, but I do want AWD.
Toyota makes a plug-in AWD RAV4.

Reactions: Gjo
That's a benefit of Tesla.

Never. Not after what Musk has said and done in the last few years. The last one is really hard to forgive for me.

Never. Not after what Musk has said and done in the last few years. The last one is really hard to forgive for me.
KIA EV6, Hyundai IONIQ 5 and IONIQ 6, Genesis GV70 and Electrified G80 all have AWD (or available AWD).

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu