For what it's Worth-Tesla

As a huge EV fan we need to stop this. ALL cars have a need to be serviced as there is plenty of things that needs attention. I assume your car have brakes which take brake fluid. How about A/C and lube for parts/joints, etc.

No matter how much you use your brakes, you still need to change the fluid after a certain amount of time. Now you don't have to but it is recommended. Tire wear is usually a result of how much you drive.

Maintenance on EV cars are different but is required/needed.

This isn't to take aways from EVs in any way. But this idea that the car doesn't require anything but electricity is a bit much. If this was the case, EV makers wouldn't have a recommended service schedule.
I thought the brake fluid required replacement by now but I guess the the regen braking extends the time between services. Yes, EVs need servicing, but it’s less than for ICE vehicles.

As a huge EV fan we need to stop this. ALL cars have a need to be serviced as there is plenty of things that needs attention. I assume your car have brakes which take brake fluid. How about A/C and lube for parts/joints, etc.

No matter how much you use your brakes, you still need to change the fluid after a certain amount of time. Now you don't have to but it is recommended. Tire wear is usually a result of how much you drive.

Maintenance on EV cars are different but is required/needed.

This isn't to take aways from EVs in any way. But this idea that the car doesn't require anything but electricity is a bit much. If this was the case, EV makers wouldn't have a recommended service schedule.
Ok so I thought you’d find this interesting. Maintenance is virtually non existent on a Tesla save for tires brakes and Hepa filters IMG_3369.jpeg

As stated my sons Tesla is over 5 years old. Brake pads are the same. Tires changed once Only thing I see of note is checking brake fluid every 2 years should be checked. If you call this maintenance like an ICE I’d beg to differ

Reactions: andromedaaudio
Ok so I thought you’d find this interesting. Maintenance is virtually non existent on a Tesla save for tires brakes and Hepa filters View attachment 120268

As stated my sons Tesla is over 5 years old. Brake pads are the same. Tires changed once Only thing I see of note is checking brake fluid every 2 years should be checked. If you call this maintenance like an ICE I’d beg to differ
My experience when I take either my S or my wife’s 3 in it’s always for warranty work. In fact almost all cars I see there are in for warranty work. I find the QC at Tesla with cars coming off the production line is not the best but they go the longest mile with warranty work to make the car right

Ok so I thought you’d find this interesting. Maintenance is virtually non existent on a Tesla save for tires brakes and Hepa filters View attachment 120268

You previous post is quoted below:

"The only thing wet In a Tesla is the windshield wiper fluid. My son has owned his for the past 5 years and has never had to change the brakes and the tire only once very recently. Short of that there is no maintenance as a matter of routine. Regenerative braking is a wonder. I rarely if ever use my brakes."

This is what you wrote. As I stated all cars need maintenance. I responded to your quoted post.

My experience when I take either my S or my wife’s 3 in it’s always for warranty work. In fact almost all cars I see there are in for warranty work.
That is great. No one said anything about warranty work.

I find the QC at Tesla with cars coming off the production line is not the best
Totally agree. This is why I didn't purchase one when I was in the car market years ago.

You previous post is quoted below:

"The only thing wet In a Tesla is the windshield wiper fluid. My son has owned his for the past 5 years and has never had to change the brakes and the tire only once very recently. Short of that there is no maintenance as a matter of routine. Regenerative braking is a wonder. I rarely if ever use my brakes."

This is what you wrote. As I stated all cars need maintenance. I responded to your quoted post.
well my reply shows the maintenance requirements are minor and infrequent. Does that make you feel better. The only thing I missed was the Hepa filters and brake fluid or is there something else that you feel necessary. Bottom lie is maintenance is trivial compared to ICE cars

That is great. No one said anything about warranty work.

Totally agree. This is why I didn't purchase one when I was in the car market years ago.
so you are adverse to the car....tha's OK I understand. I was too but at this time in my life this is permanent. All of my electricity is solar generated so I am a happy camper. I had some warranty issues which were fixed and returned in a very timely fashion. My point that I think you missed my meaning is that at the Tesla shops almost all cars were in for warranty work not maintenance.

Reactions: Gardener
so you are adverse to the car....tha's OK I understand. I was too but at this time in my life this is permanent. All of my electricity is solar generated so I am a happy camper. I had some warranty issues which were fixed and returned in a very timely fashion. My point that I think you missed my meaning is that at the Tesla shops almost all cars were in for warranty work not maintenance.
As I stated before, never said anything about warranty work.

well my reply shows the maintenance requirements are minor and infrequent. Does that make you feel better. The only thing I missed was the Hepa filters and brake fluid or is there something else that you feel necessary. Bottom lie is maintenance is trivial compared to ICE cars
Your comments haven't changed my feeling toward EV cars. I have been a fan and will own one in the future.

Your comment "The only thing wet In a Tesla is the windshield wiper fluid" just isn't true. No one is saying EV cars require the same or more maintenance than ICE cars.

The maintenance thing is a non-issue. Modern ICE use synthetic oils that require yearly oil changes. $50/year and maybe 30 min of my time if I'm taking it easy. Most other fluids are filters have even longer intervals.

EV folks are not helping their own POV when they make exaggerated claims about how much better their vehicles are. It's like listening to a born-again Christian.

I'm all for EVs and have considered buying one myself, but I can't find a simple and inexpensive "city car" that fits my use case, and my home is old and has a 100A service which would need to be upgraded. So I have an ebike instead. It can't replace a small car for everything but it helps. Unfortunately I've had some major reliability issues, but I blame a clueless tech at the local shop. Specialized is buying back my bike and replacing it with a new one.

I really don't know why all EVs need to have such long ranges, it destroys any environmental cred they might have otherwise had. With a 2+ ton machine, huge batteries and motors, it's just not the environmentally friendly solution to transport so many think it is. Many will disagree with this, but the truth is IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION AND HOW THE GRID IS POWERED. Buying solar panels does not mean your car is being charged with solar panels if it's part of the grid, but you have made a nice contribution to the grid being powered by something other than fossil fuels. A Hummer EV will never be as environmentally friendly as a small ICE vehicle, never. A small city EV, which nobody even makes, would be a far better solution.

But it's not about that really, is it? It's too personal. Cars are so emotional that it's often impossible to overcome bias. I've sold cars in the distant past, the experience was eye-opening. You literally can't sell cars on providing facts and info for people to make educated decisions, it just doesn't work that way... at all. As a salesperson, if you provide a fact that contradicts a prospective buyer's emotion, you just lost the sale. It was really disheartening in a lot of ways. Before that I was one of the nation's top sales people at a large electronics chain, so it's not like I can't sell. Cars just require a totally different strategy. This is reflected in how people look at the EV vs ICE question, and it is an issue on both sides. There's also a lot of unfounded and emotional dislike for EVs that makes no sense.

• Love
Reactions: Al M. and jeff1225
The maintenance thing is a non-issue. Modern ICE use synthetic oils that require yearly oil changes. $50/year and maybe 30 min of my time if I'm taking it easy. Most other fluids are filters have even longer intervals.

EV folks are not helping their own POV when they make exaggerated claims about how much better their vehicles are. It's like listening to a born-again Christian.

I'm all for EVs and have considered buying one myself, but I can't find a simple and inexpensive "city car" that fits my use case, and my home is old and has a 100A service which would need to be upgraded. So I have an ebike instead. It can't replace a small car for everything but it helps. Unfortunately I've had some major reliability issues, but I blame a clueless tech at the local shop. Specialized is buying back my bike and replacing it with a new one.

I really don't know why all EVs need to have such long ranges, it destroys any environmental cred they might have otherwise had. With a 2+ ton machine, huge batteries and motors, it's just not the environmentally friendly solution to transport so many think it is. Many will disagree with this, but the truth is IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION AND HOW THE GRID IS POWERED. Buying solar panels does not mean your car is being charged with solar panels if it's part of the grid, but you have made a nice contribution to the grid being powered by something other than fossil fuels. A Hummer EV will never be as environmentally friendly as a small ICE vehicle, never. A small city EV, which nobody even makes, would be a far better solution.

But it's not about that really, is it? It's too personal. Cars are so emotional that it's often impossible to overcome bias. I've sold cars in the distant past, the experience was eye-opening. You literally can't sell cars on providing facts and info for people to make educated decisions, it just doesn't work that way... at all. As a salesperson, if you provide a fact that contradicts a prospective buyer's emotion, you just lost the sale. It was really disheartening in a lot of ways. Before that I was one of the nation's top sales people at a large electronics chain, so it's not like I can't sell. Cars just require a totally different strategy. This is reflected in how people look at the EV vs ICE question, and it is an issue on both sides. There's also a lot of unfounded and emotional dislike for EVs that makes no sense.
Agreed about the city car. The closest things out there right now that qualify as are the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt (which the company axed and then unaxed due to customer revolt) but new, they aren’t cheap either. The best way to go is to buy an “old” beater EV where the battery holds enough charge for city use but that’s it.

Reactions: DaveC
Ten worst used cars/\

Any Tesla​

Teslas aren't inherently bad cars. After all, they're quick, good for the environment, don't have an engine to maintain, and are jam-packed and full of technology. That said, Teslas suffer from miserable build quality ranging from mismatched paint panels, inconsistent panel gaps, and a flimsy assembly process. But that's not even the worst part...

Teslas feature lithium batteries. Although lithium batteries have an excellent life span and can generate a ton of power, these lithium batteries are nearly impossible to repair. Earlier this year, J.D. Power claimed that Tesla batteries lose about 1% of range per year, and a replacement battery costs between $13,000 and $20,000.

Ten worst used cars/\

Any Tesla​

Teslas aren't inherently bad cars. After all, they're quick, good for the environment, don't have an engine to maintain, and are jam-packed and full of technology. That said, Teslas suffer from miserable build quality ranging from mismatched paint panels, inconsistent panel gaps, and a flimsy assembly process. But that's not even the worst part...

Teslas feature lithium batteries. Although lithium batteries have an excellent life span and can generate a ton of power, these lithium batteries are nearly impossible to repair. Earlier this year, J.D. Power claimed that Tesla batteries lose about 1% of range per year, and a replacement battery costs between $13,000 and $20,000.
Ten worst used cars/\

Any Tesla​

Since you forgot the link I thought I’d help you out:

Virtually every car on the list is a luxury vehicle. Of course luxury vehicles are more expensive to service. And the Tesla remarks are ridiculous from the cost of running a used car. Why are panel gaps even mentioned? Is someone going to have them fixed after purchasing the car used?

As for Tesla’s battery warranty, I’d suggest the company has high confidence its product. Eight years or 100,000-150,000 miles, depending on model.

Reactions: Gregadd and DaveC

Virtually every car on the list is a luxury vehicle. Of course luxury vehicles are more expensive to service. And the Tesla remarks are ridiculous from the cost of running a used car. Why are panel gaps even mentioned? Is someone going to have them fixed after purchasing the car used?

As for Tesla’s battery warranty, I’d suggest the company has high confidence its product. Eight years or 100,000-150,000 miles, depending on model.

I agree, that article was not good. I disagree that Teslas are going to cost too much to maintain or that their batteries are an issue. I have a few friends who have owned Teslas for over 3 years and have had few issues. Techs have came out to their homes to do some things, no other car company will do that, so if you get a good service guy it seems like you'll be taken care of.

They also have the Porsche 911 on the list, one of the most reliable sports cars ever built that's suitable for track use out of the box.

To be candid I don't see ev faults as disqualifying per se. My Neice just replaced the battery, brakes and alternator at a cost $ 2.2k/ after 6 years. I hust think you should make an informed decision.​

Totally agree with your take, Dave. They do talk like religious zealots sometimes, and without data to back up their exaggerated claims.

As I said before, I have decided that for me personally the best and most environmentally friendly solution is to drive my very full-efficient little ICE (2015 Nissan Versa; gets about 250 miles out of 8.8 gallons) until it's dead. And I also have solar panels on my house for environmental impact.

I really don't know why all EVs need to have such long ranges, it destroys any environmental cred they might have otherwise had. With a 2+ ton machine, huge batteries and motors, it's just not the environmentally friendly solution to transport so many think it is.
This is why the Prius Prime gets my attention. Plug-in hybrid with EV range rated up to 44 miles (let's say 25 miles real-world in the city), then the ICE motor kicks in.

To provide background...we own a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor. Rarely does it get used more than 25 miles per day. We charge it at the slow rate of 4-5 miles per hour on household 110V, and that's sufficed over four years of ownership.

To be candid I don't see ev faults as disqualifying per se. My Neice just replaced the battery, brakes and alternator at a cost $ 2.2k/ after 6 years. I hust think you should make an informed decision.​

I find this confusing. Replacing a Tesla battery after 6 years for $2200. That sounds doubtful

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu