For what it's Worth-Tesla

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
I'm skipping to the end of this thread, but there's probably an unspoken element to acknowledge about electric/battery cars. The heavier your foot, the shorter your range. A service person got to my house before our agreed on time, so I pushed hard on the "gas" [to arrive early] and started getting notes, "drive 55mph to reach your destination" (with the battery charge), then "drive 50mph" till I got the connection between speed and battery storage. Maybe the Taycan is the car you drive fast to the grocery store and back, but not for any side trips!

[edit for clarity]

Reactions: Steve Williams

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is a great car. Very fast and fun roller coaster like stop start driving in city. So good I decide to buy an electric car but a Tesla for me. Performance is the reason not economic.

Reactions: christoph

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It is a great car. Very fast and fun roller coaster like stop start driving in city. So good I decide to buy an electric car but a Tesla for me. Performance is the reason not economic.
Please add your cars to your signature!

• Haha

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
  • Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I just saw an announcement that the base model Taycan will be $80K.
Still $10k more than a Model S long-range, with half the range and slower as well, although that $10k difference might disappear with tax and other credits

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Still $10k more than a Model S long-range, with half the range and slower as well, although that $10k difference might disappear with tax and other credits
the tax credits in California are all but gone. IIRC the tax credit now is only $1500. When started they were as high as $7500

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
the tax credits in California are all but gone. IIRC the tax credit now is only $1500. When started they were as high as $7500
No tax credits on Tesla (which is probably why all models have had such significant price drops), which was the point of my comment on tax credits. The VW group has sold very few electric vehicles in the US. I confess I am not up on all the tax ramifications in the different states, but it appears that Porsche will qualify for a $7500 Federal Tax Credit at least, in addition to possible state credits.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The tax credit regime will be extended this year with the new administration. The fact that Tesla will have an operating factory this year in Texas will help get votes that the bill otherwise might not get. As for range, the warnings only come into play when the car determines that you won’t have the power to get to your intended destination with how you are driving. That is what the ever expanding supercharger network is for. As for the Taycan, nice car but too uncomfortable for me to sit in. Not my thing.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The tax credit regime will be extended this year with the new administration. The fact that Tesla will have an operating factory this year in Texas will help get votes that the bill otherwise might not get. As for range, the warnings only come into play when the car determines that you won’t have the power to get to your intended destination with how you are driving. That is what the ever expanding supercharger network is for. As for the Taycan, nice car but too uncomfortable for me to sit in. Not my thing.
totally agree

I'm still not sure about the Federal tax credit of $7500

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I just saw an announcement that the base model Taycan will be $80K
I just ordered a Model X after sitting on the sideline for years watching the electric car game evolve. I like the Taycan from afar, but I've daily driven an SUV (except in summer) for 15 years or so. I know the X looks kinda like an egg ....

BTW Car and Driver only found a 10 mile real-world range difference between the Taycan Turbo S and the Tesla Model S:

"More surprisingly, the Porsche held its own in our 75-mph range test. While the EPA says there's a 134-mile difference in the range between the two, extrapolating from our 100-mile run, the real-world difference amounts to 10 miles in the Tesla's favor."

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
totally agree

I'm still not sure about the Federal tax credit of $7500
Definitely present for the tax year 2020 for all manufacturers except Tesla and (for a reason unknown to me) GM.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I got both a state and federal tax credit ($2500 + $7500) back in 2013 when I bought my Tesla Model S (one of the first 5000 produced). The federal rule was the that their tax credit was phased out when the brand sold 200,000 BEV cars. Only Tesla and Chevy have exceeded the 200,000 number. Since Porsche is a low volume brand, it will take a long time to hit 200,000 BEV cars in the US. Will be interesting to see the Biden proposal for extending/expanding tax credits. Certainly Tesla has continued to do very well after their credits expired and they have a $7500 competitive disadvantage to all but Chevy in the US, and Chevy has yet to release a new model after the Bolt (they discontinued the hybrid Volt).

I think the competition between or among BEV cars is not the proper comparison. It is between BEV cars and ICE cars. I am guessing that Porsche Taycan buyers are deciding between the comparable Porsche ICE models and the Taycan, not between the Taycan and Tesla. They like or love their Porsches, but also want a BEV. So instead of buying another Porsche ICE car, they buy a Taycan. I read that comparable Porsche ICE car sales have decreased while Taycan sales have jumped.

The ICE manufacturers have the big issue of stranded assets (like plants that make engines) and supply chains as they try to move BEV production. Also many dealers make a lot of their profits from service and repairs, which are much lower in BEVs.

Larry

Reactions: ack

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
As of today Tesla stock is now over $500/share and is worth more than both Ford and GM combined
Steve, it is one year later. Tesla stock just closed at $880.80. Not bad for one year. Oops. forgot it split five for one this summer. Make that $4404 presplit today.

Larry

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It will be tough politically to not extend the federal tax credit back to the two US companies who sold over 200,000 cars but keep it in place for non US manufacturers. Therefore, I fully expect that change in any upcoming bill to restore the $7,500 credit for Tesla and GM.

Reactions: Steve Williams

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think the competition between or among BEV cars is not the proper comparison. It is between BEV cars and ICE cars.

Larry
You are overlooking the fact that it will become increasingly difficult to sell ICE cars in the EU and perhaps even in China. All the major European auto companies have committed to have at least 50% of their new vehicle output be electric by 2030. And the US automakers (except for Tesla, Honda and Toyota) are devoted to selling trucks and SUV's and phasing out cars entirely

Reactions: astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
You are overlooking the fact that it will become increasingly difficult to sell ICE cars in the EU and perhaps even in China. All the major European auto companies have committed to have at least 50% of their new vehicle output be electric by 2030. And the US automakers (except for Tesla, Honda and Toyota) are devoted to selling trucks and SUV's and phasing out cars entirely
Agreed. Some states in the US are also starting to ban the sales of new ICE cars after 2030 and even Japan is looking to do the same by the mid '30s.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing