Ford v Ferrari | New Movie / Trailer \ With Matt Damon & Christian Bale

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
David

if anyone wants to know the feeling of driving at LeMans they need to get into your car and have you drive them along the backroads of Utah. I will never forget my visit to you several years ago when you took me to Bryce Canyon . All I remember is taking curves at speeds between 105-110 mph. I thought that was my last day on earth. While I was hyperventilating and praying in the front I recall your wife and daughters in the back seat happily carrying on a conversation like it was no big deal and they were used to it

Ha, I feel ya! The Ferrari Club of America just had one of their annual meets here in Scottsdale which included 2 days of track time at APEX Motorsport Park (a pristine track). They had professional instructors on staff to ride along and instruct the Ferrari owners on how to get around the track. I got to do a 20 minute session as a passenger in a C7 Corvette (his personal track car) with a guy that has untold amount of miles around that track. The dude scared the shit out of me, made me sick to my stomach not having control of the car and being tossed around like that, but what a frickin blast!

We hit a buck 30 down the back straight with my eyes WFO wondering when he was going to brake for the bus stop. Waiting, nothing, waiting, nothing, waiting then braking so hard my feet planted, death grip on the door handle and center console and I am still uncontrollably thrown against the seat belt harness.

There is a set of left sweepers that end in a decreasing radius corner and the first time we went through I thought we were going to go off track. You enter that corner about 95-100 mph and you go in super deep and bang the brakes hard and in less than a second you are going 40, crank the wheel hard left and get on the gas for a series of quick turns then to the floor for some sweepers down the front straight the bang the brakes again hard to set up for the blind altitude changing off camber decreasing radius turn 1!

I had to get a bottle of water and sit still for a bit when it was over, but holy crap it was a blast.

That guy had the track dialed and we passed every one but a Ferrari 458 Speciale and a Porsche GTRS.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Had time to see the movie today. Very enjoyable but not a "great" movie. Some of the driving scenes are good but rather short. This was another of those movies where the cast portrayed these characters as rather pompous and jerks at times.

I loved the sound of Carroll Shelby's (Matt Damon) Cobra in the final scene as he started up that beaut and drive off. Filled the theater.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We really enjoyed the movie. Carroll Shelby was quite a character. I thought an interesting sidelight was seeing the genesis of how the Big 3 went off the rails in the late 1950's and 60's.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just saw the movie. It was fun! I liked it!

I thought the scene in which Henry Ford II cries as Carroll Shelby speeds him around in the car was unnecessary, silly and detracted from the movie.

I have seen at least three essays critiquing the movie on the ground that it celebrates the excessive consumption of gasoline. Really? :rolleyes:

Purely as a car racing movie, I think Rush was a better car racing movie.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I hear Bond drives an electric Aston in the new movie.
w0ke w0ke 7.
Ford v Ferrari wins outright here, seven litres v St. Greta fuelled.

What I love from the trailer is Bale's British (specifically Brummie) accent. He's not far off the expertise of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I liked it as well. One criteria I use is whether I look at my watch to see when the movie is over. If I don't look at all, that's a good sign. For this move, with a run time of 2'32" and no need to look at my watch, that was a very good sign! Very enjoyable film.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Finally got to see it on Thanksgiving.

Wish there were more movies like this that focus on relationships and the pursue of excellent instead of violence.

Reactions: still-one

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw it yesterday.

I gave it a 7/10

Great story but at 2 1/2 hours it was just too long
There have been better car racing movies IMHO. For me it was the entire story that I enjoyed

some have said Bales for Best Supporting but for me Pesci in The Irishman remains my call

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Joe Pesci was dynamite in his supporting actor role.
Brad Pitt (best supporting actor) in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ... I was surprised.

National Board of Review = No DC and Marvel films in the top ten for 2019, none.
I was surprised to not see Joker in there; they must have different views about films.
We all do, that makes life challenging and fun.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
This is the first movie I've gone to see in the last two years, so I can't give it a rating verses other new releases and I really don't care who wins an award.

Since I'm not into violence, I know I won't be watching the The Irishman.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Joe Pesci was dynamite in his supporting actor role.
Brad Pitt (best supporting actor) in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ... I was surprised.

National Board of Review = No DC and Marvel films in the top ten for 2019, none.
I was surprised to not see Joker in there; they must have different views about films.
We all do, that makes life challenging and fun.

You raise an interesting thought....let's not forget Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You raise an interesting thought....let's not forget Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood sure stroke the chords of the National Board of Review (films) more than Joker did, more than Avengers: Endgame did. Best Director, Quentin Tarantino.
And Brad Pitt? Brad made everyone real proud in that flick, he kicked asses with aces.
But was it more for the emotional "feel good" sensation than the true real acting performance?
I let others be judge of that ...

And this year Tarantino is in the running @ the Oscars. And Joker is much much more distant, except for Joaquin Phoenix's performance, and the music score of course (my favorite part). But competing with Joaquin we have Adam Driver (The Report, Marriage Story), and Adam Sandler (Uncut Gems). ...Coincidentally two actors with the same first name.

Ford v Ferrari is also very distant in the race.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

I actually would rather forget "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood". I really want at least two hours of the 2:40 minutes I invested in that movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I went to see Ford vs Ferrari and enjoyed the movie. Matt Damon was good but I thought Christian Bale stole the show.

Reactions: Joe P

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I thought Ford v Ferrari is a good rental

I think that's fair. I watched it tonight at a local theater. It's pretty good but the reason I went to see it in a theater wasn't there... I was hoping for more impressive engine sounds. Even the soundtrack was a little tuned down. It was pretty good for a racing movie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing