Full Limited Edition Aries Cerat System Build and World Exclusive LEGEND Series!

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The Vyger is definitely out. Billy has his heart set on the AS if he can get one.

Alternative option being a Transrotor man for two of his systems is the Artus

02-artus-turntable.jpg.34ecf44dec02f28ea1582db172cdc598.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have always found the top two or three Transrotor designs fascinating-looking. But it almost seems as though the designer is more interested in audio design and artistry than in selling turntables.

For example, what are the pros and cons of each of the top three elaborate and expensive models? How do the various suspensions in these models work?

Why would an audiophile choose one of these top Transrotor models over one of the other top Transrotor models?

Are these very different designs intended to sound different?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Considered the A.J.Conti Transcendence?
I haven't heard it but damn it looks like a wonderful piece. And made in the US

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not sure why Vyger not on the list
I believe all the AS2000s accounted for

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I have always found the top two or three Transrotor designs fascinating-looking. But it almost seems as though the designer is more interested in audio design and artistry than in selling turntables.

For example, what are the pros and cons of each of the top three elaborate and expensive models? How do the various suspensions in these models work?

Why would an audiophile choose one of these top Transrotor models over one of the other top Transrotor models?

Are these very different designs intended to sound different?

I have found with most of the top models like Transrotor and Clearaudio is that there isn't any major changes or advancements in the design. Ultimately you are getting just a ton a extra mass and that is certainly something that can be addressed without going to a top model. So outside of all of the mass and isolation in the flagship design it is really just a case of aesthetics and much more so in the case of Transrotor.

But you have to admit it is a looker

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
What Plinth are you planning to use for this?

Hoping he doesn't opt for this and goes with something else I have in mind

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Considered the A.J.Conti Transcendence?
I haven't heard it but damn it looks like a wonderful piece. And made in the US

There are many turntables that one would consider top tier, but he is looking for a truly one of a kind table to go with a truly one of a kind system

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The plinth was a joke. That crazy build doesn't need one

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Not sure why Vyger not on the list
I believe all the AS2000s accounted for

Some feedback on its long term performance eliminated it from the list.

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Tango Wisno Astrostar and Spirit of Music
I have been thinking exactly along those lines that Tango suggests. I am eager to hear if the AS-200 trumps AF1 Premium with SAT arm. An audiophile named Luis who may be on this forum swears by that setup with VAC phonopreamp. I love Lumen White speakers but have not heard their table. I know the Aires-Cerat gear has been demonstrated with Vyger Atlantis(?)but I haven’t heard it. Maybe Joshua could comment on that sound? They are seriously large tts that are less expensive than comparably priced monster Transrotors like the Cosmopolitan- a table I hope to hear in Munich.

Even though the master himself comes down for three days to assemble the Apolyte it does seem a great production. And it’s platfor is in another league of massive. As my Legend amps are going to be 5 feet tall and weigh 600lbs, space is at a bit of a premium.
There have been some events recently that may shape my choice. For now I am sworn to silence.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.:)

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Yes, I have definitely thought about the Transcendence. I just haven’t heard it. I did hear a Continuum Caliburn the other day from a WBF member and thought it sounded fantastic. I can see why they were top of the heap for a while. The actual Transrotor I was considering was the cosmopolitan. It’s a work of art and an homage to super low tolerance German machining. Unfortunately, I can’t answer Rons specific questions but I will ask the distributor.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Yes, I have definitely thought about the Transcendence. I just haven’t heard it. I did hear a Continuum Caliburn the other day from a WBF member and thought it sounded fantastic. I can see why they were top of the heap for a while. The actual Transrotor I was considering was the cosmopolitan. It’s a work of art and an homage to super low tolerance German machining. Unfortunately, I can’t answer Rons specific questions but I will ask the distributor.

Billy, what is your floor in your den? If it is timber, you will need some serious thought into avoiding vibrations. IMO that is where the AF1 majors. Many other TTs are huge construction, and more mass is good, but any solid material of one construction will absorb vibrations which have to be got rid of to avoid interference with the tone arm. Does the AS-200 have an advanced suspension system? If that TT sounds good on a concrete floor, it may sound very different on timber. Just throwing it out there to consider....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Tango Wisno Astrostar and Spirit of Music
I have been thinking exactly along those lines that Tango suggests. I am eager to hear if the AS-200 trumps AF1 Premium with SAT arm. An audiophile named Luis who may be on this forum swears by that setup with VAC phonopreamp. I love Lumen White speakers but have not heard their table. I know the Aires-Cerat gear has been demonstrated with Vyger Atlantis(?)but I haven’t heard it. Maybe Joshua could comment on that sound? They are seriously large tts that are less expensive than comparably priced monster Transrotors like the Cosmopolitan- a table I hope to hear in Munich.

Even though the master himself comes down for three days to assemble the Apolyte it does seem a great production. And it’s platfor is in another league of massive. As my Legend amps are going to be 5 feet tall and weigh 600lbs, space is at a bit of a premium.
There have been some events recently that may shape my choice. For now I am sworn to silence.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.:)
The Mystere is an all out SoTA design effort. The compressor can spin a sedan 360 degrees and stop within 1mm precision. Used for molecular reseach at the Zurich Teh Institute, I was told. You owe it to yourself to try it, given that you have budget and extremely high analog ambitions. Read the 8-page pdf on their website.
M-Y-S-T-E-R-E-2010-G-S.jpg

mystere_compressor_full.jpg

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hmm, looks kinda basic, crude even. Were's the vibration control on the deck? I haven't read the manual so going from that photo only. Having read the TechDAS website and their obsession with vibration and damping, mass and composite materials, the disc clamp (suction) I can get all that, and understand how it can work.

Are most of the ultra TTs with huge mass using a vibration control system as well, or simply relying on mass (weight) and vibration absorption. Vibration as energy has to be dissipated and also avoided. Imagine a super sensitive microphone lying on your rack, and then walk around or play some music loud, or both, then throw a large electric motor into the mix... plus we have a phono stage with huge gain which further magnifies these effects.

That is my understanding of the challenges of a top TT, and those need to be resolved in the deck and transport system.

Sometimes I still miss my LP12.... but that was so simply built, not in this league, no where near.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hey Stavros
Thank you for the addition of photos for each component. Hard to convey the exceptional art your components render-like describing a Bugatti Chiron. Words don’t work. I hope you make it to Austin or even better if I can come to Greece.
Tango, glad you are around. I consider you an excellent resource in the search for the right turntable. While I can’t possibly afford to simply buy an Apolyt, an Air Force One, an AS-2000, a Kronos and an EMT, hopefully you and others can guide the best choice for a single table to match my system. Again, thanks to everyone for the shared enthusiasm.

Hello Bill

Really looking forward meeting up in ATX when the amplifiers are delivered.
Working on the special finish we developed just for your pair of Symphonias ,makes me wonder how we can go better than this kind of Liquid Supercopper.
Guess our Contendo speakers will have to "borrow" this finish as they got jealous:)

Hope to see you in CY or Gr when you travel to this part of the world

Best
Stavros

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Hello Bill

Really looking forward meeting up in ATX when the amplifiers are delivered.
Working on the special finish we developed just for your pair of Symphonias ,makes me wonder how we can go better than this kind of Liquid Supercopper.
Guess our Contendo speakers will have to "borrow" this finish as they got jealous:)

Hope to see you in CY or Gr when you travel to this part of the world

Best
Stavros

That liquid super copper finish is a thing of beauty, I can´t stop looking at it!

Stavros, speaking about the Contendo speakers, any news regarding the development of the Contendo Reference II? Will they be available this year? TIA.

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Delayed response

As an old person(Ludditesque), it took a while for me to figure out how to post photos. If there is anyone still following the buildout thread, I have posted 2 photos of the room progress. Please note the components will be moving to the side of the room. I also posted a pic of my home system referenced on the first page and a photo of my girlfriend and I at Axpona last year as requested. Thankyou for the turntable suggestions. I will post soon which turntable I have chosen or more accurately chose me. Stavros-cant wait.

IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing