Furutech project V1

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Here's my theory on the DPS "edge". I have heard other reviews that conclude the cable is "analytical" and using too many of them will make the sound edgy, others that think it's warm.

I think it's the intermediate sheath that's in between the wires and shield, there's this black tube of soft rubbery material that has carbon/graphite and possibly other things added to reduce or absorb noise, Furutech has been offering demag/antistatic devices for cds and lps for a very long time and I think the NCF and GC-303 materials are looking to achieve the same goal, at least in part, they also reduce noise in other ways that are easily measurable with an AC power quality meter. In any case, I've heard other cables that use graphite, claims of graphene, etc and heard some similar things, with the DPS I believe it creates a "bloom" in the upper mids to lower highs that is somewhere in between copper warmth and tube warmth, but depending on other factors I think this same bloom can come off as edge. I've heard it more along the lines of @John T and would agree with "silky smooth" and "refined", imo it comes across as a bit pleasantly colored and warm overall. But AC power can be kind of odd at times and I think there's another factor in the system that may turn that bloom into edge. For the new V1 I think Furutech has likely a new better version of this black carbon impregnated material used in the DPS and the silver plating will make for substantial differences in SQ as well.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
As Dave says "AC Power can be odd at times". Different gear, AC, could result in a different conclusion. Interesting, the intermediate sheath in the DPS, compared to V1, with using perhaps different material. That could explain a few things. The Gryphon Mephisto could be one of the most neutral, transparent amps out there. If the DPS was Edgy, this would be the perfect amp to display that quality. That cat who does all the YouTube Videos, Jay. He loved the AQ Dragon High Current on the Mephisto. I demoed a pair awhile back, you want Edgy, listen to that pairing. I'm not bad mouthing AQ Dragons at all. They definitely have their place with the right amp. (Not the Mephisto) Point being certain components like different power cables. The DPS 4.1 vs S55N on the Mephisto not a huge SQ difference. But no harsh, edgy, presentation with either. Preamp, DAC, I like the DPS 4.1 a lot. My experience has never associated harsh/edgy with Furutech. Moral of the story: As Dave indicated "other factors" Grid, AC that's coming in, proper circuits, receptacles, gear, room, metallurgy, can all contribute to perceived differences...John

Reactions: DaveC

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
"I would consider it a neutral cable, but it has a character that relates more to what I hear in the real world. The only thing that breaks that illusion is the cooler tone".

The ZenWave PSR-14 excels in everything technical....Although not warmblooded enough for my tastes, it’s one of the most impressive cables I’ve come across.

The Audio Bacon assessments are consistent with what I've heard from most silver conductor cables. For me such characteristically silver sounding cables are unlistenable.
If one is familiar with Jay L's reviews on Audiobacon, it's quite easy to identify that he likes warm and colored sound, he pretty much states that preference in every review. A cable not being warmblooded enough for his tastes would not be any kind of demerit in my books. In fact, I can never listen to (more than ever so slightly) warm and colored cables for too long as they are always reminding me they are obscuring the music and editorializing to the point something feels missing.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The final two V1s are in and strutting their stuff. Even though the break-in will take a few months, the first impression alone is enough to state: I AM DONE for years to come :D !

Attachments

• 8573D387-C64F-4F2B-A02E-8E0122F13F0A.jpeg
    8573D387-C64F-4F2B-A02E-8E0122F13F0A.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 64
  • EF677398-4CC3-42E2-96B4-F507EE579089.jpeg
    EF677398-4CC3-42E2-96B4-F507EE579089.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 2B79E5AC-FEDA-4BA9-9BF5-9824D6B3405D.jpeg
    2B79E5AC-FEDA-4BA9-9BF5-9824D6B3405D.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 39912166-7A08-4670-97E1-7B1016B18331.jpeg
    39912166-7A08-4670-97E1-7B1016B18331.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 61

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
nirodha what components are you using each V1 into? Was the 1st V1 the biggest difference? What did each additional V1 bring to the system?

Enjoy
Steve

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
nirodha what components are you using each V1 into? Was the 1st V1 the biggest difference? What did each additional V1 bring to the system?

Enjoy
Steve
Hi Steve,
it is too early to answer all your questions. But… the first V1 has been in my system for almost three months. First from the pure power 6 NCF to the Nagra CD player. It was awesome but the real miracle happened when I placed it from the NCF wall socket to the Pure Power. I had been over the moon for some weeks and thought break-in was done when a week ago another major shift happened: the soundstage opened up even further: I could now hear even DEEPER into the recording than before. Since yesterday the last two V1s are put from the PP to the Humboldt integrated and the Nagra CD player. The sound is hard to describe now: it is not typical solid state nor tube-like. Not digital nor analogue. There is no sharp edge anywhere but at the same time it is certainly not overly polite. When playing softly everything stays intact. It is also possible to play very loud without any stress to the ears. The sound is full blooded and extremely transparant at the same time. There is a real symbioses between the V1s and Elrod Diamond Master interlink and loudspeaker cables. What to say… I really feel I am done. Every cd (remastered / not remastered) is tackled with musicality (yes, I know … it is the most vague term in audio) put first.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOS and Piotr_905

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
Hi Steve,
it is too early to answer all your questions. But… the first V1 has been in my system for almost three months. First from the pure power 6 NCF to the Nagra CD player. It was awesome but the real miracle happened when I placed it from the NCF wall socket to the Pure Power. I had been over the moon for some weeks and thought break-in was done when a week ago another major shift happened: the soundstage opened up even further: I could now hear even DEEPER into the recording than before. Since yesterday the last two V1s are put from the PP to the Humboldt integrated and the Nagra CD player. The sound is hard to describe now: it is not typical solid state nor tube-like. Not digital nor analogue. There is no sharp edge anywhere but at the same time it is certainly not overly polite. When playing softly everything stays intact. It is also possible to play extremely loud without any stress to the ears. The sound is full blooded and extremely transparant at the same time. There is a real symbioses between the V1s and Elrod Diamond Master interlink and loudspeaker cables. What to say… I really feel I am done. Every cd (remastered / not remastered) is tackled with musicality (yes, I know … it is the most vague term in audio) put first.
Thank you, very interesting. I was also wondering how the V1 compares to the previous NCF flagship or even the non-NCF Nanoflux. I was wondering whether the V1 might actually be the power cord combining the best from the two (the non-NCF for some might have the advantage of giving a little more body than the NCF cord, in some systems). Take your time listening, though, no hurry with my questions here :) Anyway, congratualtions, from your reactions, and from the comments of other users, I gather the V1 is quite a marvel. :)

Reactions: nirodha

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thank you, very interesting. I was also wondering how the V1 compares to the previous NCF flagship or even the non-NCF Nanoflux. I was wondering whether the V1 might actually be the power cord combining the best from the two (the non-NCF for some might have the advantage of giving a little more body than the NCF cord, in some systems). Take your time listening, though, no hurry with my questions here :) Anyway, congratualtions, from your reactions, and from the comments of other users, I gather the V1 is quite a marvel. :)
thank you! :)

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
nirodha any update on your own experience with the Project V1's?
Hi there,
update. The first cable was fully broken in which aleviates the breaking in of the final two. What to say… a full loom of V1s increases soundstage projection and transparency even more. To use the old audiophile adage: these cables are REAL components.. It is all about music now, no longer about the set. I am really done now :):p.

Reactions: rpk

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I h
Thank you, very interesting. I was also wondering how the V1 compares to the previous NCF flagship or even the non-NCF Nanoflux.
I have thought about how to answer your question best.… I think this is the best way: I can recommend the (NCF) nanoflux wholeheartedly because it does little to nothing wrong. And I can recommend the V1 because it does everything right:).

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
I h

I have thought about how to answer your question best.… I think this is the best way: I can recommend the (NCF) nanoflux wholeheartedly because it does little to nothing wrong. And I can recommend the V1 because it does everything right:).
A clever answer, thank you! :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

The previous Nanoflux was basically a S55N with UPOCC copper instead of Alpha copper, the new one is basically an improved version of the DPS-4 with the largest differences likely coming from the use of silver-plated conductors where the DPS-4 uses non-plated copper conductors. Also, the new V1 plugs could be a big difference too!

Reactions: Piotr_905

Piotr_905

VIP/Donor
Oct 28, 2020
The previous Nanoflux was basically a S55N with UPOCC copper instead of Alpha copper, the new one is basically an improved version of the DPS-4 with the largest differences likely coming from the use of silver-plated conductors where the DPS-4 uses non-plated copper conductors. Also, the new V1 plugs could be a big difference too!
Thank you, indeed I noticed the V1 resembeles DPS 4 in terms of build, but the conductors must be making a difference, plus the plug I'm sure is an improvement, as is always the case with Furutech. Furutech was the first company to make me realise how important the plug is vs the cable itself.

Reactions: rpk and DaveC

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Agree the plugs make a BIG difference in sound qualit, I've personally heard the same cable with the Furutech FI-50 NCF vs non NCF versions and the NCF version was always cleaner and more detailed with better micro dynamics. So I would think Furutech has once again improved their connectors on the new Project V1 cord.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Agree the plugs make a BIG difference in sound qualit, I've personally heard the same cable with the Furutech FI-50 NCF vs non NCF versions and the NCF version was always cleaner and more detailed with better micro dynamics. So I would think Furutech has once again improved their connectors on the new Project V1 cord.
If I have to believe the Furutech site (and I do not have any reason not to) the V1’s new connector is just one reason why the cable performs like it does.
They went all out on this one.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
nirodha I'm just buying a 2nd Project V1 for my system, will place it on my amp and see what this brings to the system. Don't think I'll ever have 3 in the system as you do but time will tell. All I know is the 1st V1 was replaced with what I had been using and after 3 notes it was obvious much of the music was missing. This isn't a power cord upgrade it's a component upgrade.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
nirodha I'm just buying a 2nd Project V1 for my system, will place it on my amp and see what this brings to the system. Don't think I'll ever have 3 in the system as you do but time will tell. All I know is the 1st V1 was replaced with what I had been using and after 3 notes it was obvious much of the music was missing. This isn't a power cord upgrade it's a component upgrade.
Enjoy! Where did you put the first one? Best for two is: one from the wall to power distributor and the second one on the source component (streamer or CD player). But… best is to try for yourself. Again: enjoy! The V1s are exceptional:D!

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com

Attachments

• 20220719_083734.jpg
    20220719_083734.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220719_083723.jpg
    20220719_083723.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220719_083708.jpg
    20220719_083708.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 42

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing