Genesis Advanced Technologies SuperSub Subwoofer

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
What does this number mean to you? “Peak” output power at what duration of peak? A few nanoseconds?

I think this is a spurious figure. 21,200 watts at 120 volts implies 177 amps. I don’t think so.

Jeremy, what say you?
i can only use my version as an example as Nathan hasn't pub;ished all the figures for the 18.2

my 18.0LX has an RMS output of 4400 and peak 10400. The 18.2 uses an outboard amp with 2 connected power cables. The driver motor unit is all about heat dissipation. They are very very serious units.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What does this number mean to you? “Peak” output power at what duration of peak? A few nanoseconds?

I think this is a spurious figure. 21,200 watts at 120 volts implies 177 amps. I don’t think so.

Jeremy, what say you?
I think amps with 'peak' capability of 100amperes is not that unusual. I am no techie, but the Torus 16amp has peak of at least 20x that or something as I recall. This enables instantenous peaks not to be blunted by lack of headroom.

That said, the main standing steady constant amperage is probably a more meaningful stat (as stats go as meaningful in the first place!)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The funk 18.2 has a peak output power of 21200 watts. If you had 2 of them that’s 40kw

I have the model below which is rated at 10400 watts peak. I’m not sure your comparing apples with apples when u compare an 18.2 to any sort of Rel. let alone 2 x 18.2. Also, with the model below the 18.2 you are only looking at $8700 not close to $20k each.
I would worry less about total output power and cone area and more about tuneability (DEQ) and ultimately sound quality. My 2 cents FWIW.

Reactions: dbeau

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Jeremy, what say you?

Well 177amps won't be drawn from the wall so it'd have to be related to what's onboard the amplifier. I haven't seen the amps but that does seem really high for usable power.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Yes, that is where I copied Gary's quote from!

Lloyd, it is interesting that in this configuration Gary has the SuperSubs firing side-to-side rather than front-to-back. Hopefully he can tell us his thinking behind that
Gary Koh, founder and CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies, has been working on a new subwoofer, the SuperSub, consisting of two 8" drivers and two 12" drivers and two 15" drivers in one box. Gary's servo control system for the drivers is implemented here.

In Gary's words: “It’s not a 3-way crossover, it’s not that that 15s get the lowest frequency. Instead – I managed to integrate all of this to make each of the drivers (15,12,8) move the same amount of air. The excursion is proportional to the area of the cone. It is the most awesome bass I have ever heard. I was nicely surprised.”

It looks like the SuperSub was designed for the Genesis Quartet (successor to the Genesis 200 and 2.2), but it will be interesting to learn if Gary intends this subwoofer to be usable with any full-range loudspeaker.

The SuperSub can be stacked, apparently, to provide four 8" drivers and four 12" drivers and four 15" drivers per side. That would be a whole lot of woofing going on!

Interestingly, I think Gary is using a high-level signal, tapping the main speaker amplifier's output, to drive the SuperSub's amplifier and servo controllers

Please tell us more about this new product, Gary!

What is your design thinking behind this subwoofer, Gary?

Will the different driver sizes permit smoother integration with full-range speakers?

How, mechanically, would two SuperSubs be stacked?

Is the SuperSub intended for use only with Genesis loudspeakers, or is it designed to be able to be integrated with any full-range speaker?

View attachment 67788

View attachment 67789
Whaaoo ?!!!
How cool ain’t that?!Gary Koh is best successor ever to Arnie Nudell.

Well side to side fireing is the thing.
Here is my right Martin Logan BF-210 sub-tower… a great thing to have when you hate to vaccum clean… … just turn up the volyme control a few p

/ Jk
163F92F3-BCD0-4BA6-9C9A-718BEFB13C1B.jpeg

Reactions: garylkoh and sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing