Giant Custom Horn Systems - How they sound and issues with sonics

I definitely dream of one day building the ultimate system and room. I see what some of these crazy guys do with truly giant custom horn installations and they make me drool, but (like most of us) I've never had an opportunity to hear one of these crazy systems (see pics).

But I'm guessing at least a few of you have and others probably possess some theoretical engineering knowledge around the issues these giant horn systems might create, but I've never seen a thread that discusses the sonic pro's and con's of these systems.

Would love to hear some thoughts (even if it is just some pontificating on theory) regarding these types of installations. Let's discuss.

I also listened to a 10. K . avantgarde speaker with a Horn and a small woofer, limited bandwidth same story ,
PS and klipsch and some italian design zingali, nothing special

My gut feeling is those superlarge ones are special ,though never had a chance to hear one yet ??

Last edited:
18 Hz. - 6 db haha.
This is a Horn i actually listened to a couple of Times , you mean - 6 db at 60 Hz OR something maybe , Just like most horns ive listened too , a listenable midrange and thats about IT ??

I don't know, for thirty-five thousand US dollars/pair I would love to have bass in the 20Hz region...+/- .5dB

60Hz won't simply cut it; I have too much investment in Jazz and Blues music.
And in Classical Orchestral music. ...Electronic/New Age International.

* I am searching right now for a review with measurements ...

I have a good friend with the latest Tannoy Westminsters. Absolutely fantastic full range sound when you feed them with at least 50 watts.

JA does a nearfield woofer measurement. Like holding a mike right in front of the woofer and then makes a complex sum, its not a accurate measurement , for low freq you need a anechoic chamber.

Measurements are not easy to find for this particular horn speaker, but I'm still searching.

And while I was searching I came across this short interesting article related to our topic discussion:
http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Paradigms_in_Amplifier_Design.php

And this is good too:
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016...minster-royal-se-experience-with-jeff-day-co/
___

If I may; I think that speaker goes lower than 60Hz, it is rated much lower.
It has a 15" driver* after all, and much more.

Cheers,

* 15" times two drivers equals 450 cubic inches of air displacement.

Full range so Lets say 20 Hz - 3 db.
Very few speakers make that despite claims .
The Westminster sounded limited when i heard IT and boxy

I personally would prefer if he would do Just a measurement of the overall response of the speaker at The listening position .
Have you ever looked at my measurement s 1/6 Octave smoothed. That s how a inroom response looks like, anybody can draw a Line.

Best for Electronic/New Age (Vangelis - Chariots of Fire), and Jazz (last tune starting @ 6:26) music reproduction.
...In my listening opinion from the end of my laptop connected to my speakers.

last tune starting @ 6:26 I was sitting in the sweet spot at that time.I have to admit the speakers did not blow me away but when you have to set up for the whole hall to enjoy the music you have to compromize.Put them in you lounge room might be a different story...

last tune starting @ 6:26 I was sitting in the sweet spot at that time.I have to admit the speakers did not blow me away but when you have to set up for the whole hall to enjoy the music you have to compromize.Put them in you lounge room might be a different story...

I agree, and besides, it is not my favorite jazz tune. And it's not my type of listening environment, and it's not the most attractive horn speaker.

Full range so Lets say 20 Hz - 3 db.
Very few speakers make that despite claims .
The Westminster sounded limited when i heard IT and boxy

You are less exigent than me...on the bass's minus three decibels @ 20Hz.

I personally would prefer if he would do Just a measurement of the overall response of the speaker at The listening position .
Have you ever looked at my measurement s 1/6 Octave smoothed. That s how a inroom response looks like, anybody can draw a Line.

Cool, and I found this: http://www.audiotuning.com/images/Tannoy/Tan-WestminsterRoyalGR-Review-HifiWorld-1115.pdf

Thats not a accurate fr measurement, how many point s are measured 15 OR 20 overall?
Looks like its done with a i phone OR something

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing