Glorious integrated revolution - Genus from Aries Cerat

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
Can anyone tell me anything about the "lifetime" of the Elrog 845 tubes in Genus?

I am aware that it depends maybe on the bias setting and care in handling. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know what follow-up costs can be expected over the years.

Thanks and best regards

AnalogTom

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
Hello!

You are right it depends a lot on the bias setting, if you turn on and off frequently per day or not and if you swap tubes often or leave them alone. Therefore a lifetime number does not tell anything. And besides in order to be realistic it would need many years of experience of the tube in this amp.

All I can say is that since we are supplying Aries Cerat with ER845 we did not have any warranty case and I did not hear of a tube reaching end of life yet.

Best regards

Thomas

Reactions: christoph

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
Dear friends,

I have been doing some research on the "entry level" devices from Aries Cerat. I was able to find out that there are several variants of the Genus:

1) Genus 845 = integrated amplifier with Elrog 845 tubes.
2) Genus 813 = integrated amplifier with NOS 813 tubes
3) Genus 813P = power amplifier with NOS 813 tubes

The Genus 845 has replaced the Genus 813, because the 813 tubes are getting rar. So the newer model uses Elrog 845 from current production. The 845 tubes can not be used in the old Genus 813!

But there are not a lot of information about the 813P (power amplifier). The device does not appear with the older devices on the homepage. My question is, if there is anyody out there who has some experience with the 813P?

In addition, I would be interested to know if there is also a Genus 845P power amplifier?

Thanks for the clarification!

AnalogTom

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello AnalogTom

The "P" or power amp versions of the amp, is available for both 813 and 845 versions.
They do have the same technical spec,but lack the volume and source select section.

Practically , the integrated amp can work as power amp(in HT mode).When used in this way, the integrated (as power amp) and power amp versions sound identical.

Best
Stavros

Reactions: christoph

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
Dear Stavros,

Thanks a lot for the answer. Is their a passive preamp in the Integrated?

Best Analogtom

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Dear Stavros,

Thanks a lot for the answer. Is their a passive preamp in the Integrated?

Best Analogtom
Dear AnalogTom

A passive preamp usually means a signal attenuator (either resistor or transformer) without an active stage ,before or after.
So by definition, the attenuator, in any integrated amplifier, cannot be classified as passive.

Best Regards
S

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hello!

I’ll have an opportunity to try Genus amplifier with my WA Sasha DAW. I understand it may not drive the speakers to a sufficient level, but this is the only model of Aries Cerat amp currently available for a home audition, and I want to try it in my system to have a taste of what an AC amp may sound like.
Are there any cases of pairing AC amps with WA? What specific settings, if any, would you recommend when pairing Genus with Sashas? Can I use it as a power amp with my CH Precision L1 preamp?

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
When I try lower sensitivity speakers, will advise the result.
So?
Which low sensitivity speakers did you try, if any?
Thanks.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
Can anyone tell me anything about the "lifetime" of the Elrog 845 tubes in Genus?

I am aware that it depends maybe on the bias setting and care in handling. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know what follow-up costs can be expected over the years.
Indeed. I am interesting in that kind of information too.

Additionally,
- What are the sonic differences between the (discontinued) Genus 813 version vs present Genus 845 Elrod versions?
- What is the gain of the Genus 845? High gain, I presume. With volume control on '1', how much dB do you get? (important question for those living in a condo, with neighbors).

Thanks

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
Hey Guys,

has anyone ever replaced the E280F in the Genus with an E810F or D3A? Should this be done at all?

Best regards

Tom

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hey Guys,

has anyone ever replaced the E280F in the Genus with an E810F or D3A? Should this be done at all?

Best regards

Tom
Hello Tom

Yes you can try the above, also try the 6J11p-e .
Of course you will need to rebias these using the bias monitors.

Best
Stavros

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
Dear Stavros,

thanks a lot. Do i need a "matched" pair of tubes? What do you think?

Kindly regards

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing