Gold Note Phonostage PH1000 + Power Supply

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Earlier this year I bought a Luxman EQ500 phonostage which I upgraded with Telefunken Nos valves.
Not a success. The sound quality was very good, but just not enough gain for my system.
It was a choice of adding a step up transformer or trying something new and I opted for the latter.
So about six months go I auditioned a Gold Note PH 1000. Very well reviewed, versatile and good build quality. It proved a big improvement on the Luxman and was quickly added to my system. Well reviewed by Michael Fremer for Stereophile whose conclusions match my own experience.
Last week I got the opportunity to try the matching power supply which has now been in the system for the last few days and has prompted me to play a lot of discs which I have not played for a while.
From the word go the improvements were clearly audible. Greater delicacy to the sound, better bass, dynamics and timing with greater separation of the different instruments within the sound stage. Background which was already very quiet is even more silent.
I have had a long session this evening with mainly classical music including Murray Perahai's Columbia recording of Chopin's Nocturnes 2 & 3 and Narciso Yepes DG recording of Bach, Scarlatti et al classical guitar recordings. A real treat!

There is an excellent synergy with the Vitus SIA 030, Sikora TT and the YG speakers which give me a genuinely neutral sound. The cartridge is
the Gold Note Machiavelli Gold Mk II which has a touch of warmth, but no more than that and balances the sound ideall for my tastes.
In short ,the PSU will be staying in my system and I can confidently recommend this combination of the phonostage and PSU.
The retail price of the phonostage here in theUK is just under £10k and the matching PSU adds another £6k so not a cheap option, but very good value IMHO.

Reactions: GuyB and XV-1

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I have been eying this piece for a while, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price point especially given the dearth of reviews. Do you mind talking a bit more of how it compares to other phono stages you have experienced. I also tried the Luxman EQ500 and was not impressed it by it all; my lowly PS Audio Stellar ran circles around it. Thanks.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have been eying this piece for a while, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price point especially given the dearth of reviews. Do you mind talking a bit more of how it compares to other phono stages you have experienced. I also tried the Luxman EQ500 and was not impressed it by it all; my lowly PS Audio Stellar ran circles around it. Thanks.
Thanks lightmentat.
Yes very happy to do so.
I had a Luxman EQ500 immediately prior to the Goldnote PH 1000 which I had revalved with Nos Telefunken valves after reading a very good review of one so equipped on the Luxman USA site. As so upgraded the sound quality was top class, but, and a big but, there was simply not enough gain in the design. The choice was to add a step up transformer, or go to a different phonostage,
Prior to the Luxman I had a Goldnote PH10 plus the PSU which at its price point is very good so I decided to audition the PH1000.The PSU 1000 was added later.
I am impressed by the build quality. It has all the loading etc options anybody is ever likely to need, a good legible screen and excellent user friendliness.
All pluses, but obviously secondary to the quality and character of the sound. It is being fed by the excellent J Sikora Standad Line turntable fitted with the KV12 carbon fibreetone arm and a Goldnote Machiavelli Mark II cartridge which ,as you would expect, has the right synergy with the phonostage. The amp is a Vitus SIA 030 and the speakers are YG Acoustics Kipod Signature Passives which are very neutral sounding and always reproduce the characteristics of all the different sources from which I have fed them over the last 10 or so years.
Firstly, and perhaps not the most informative comment, I get a really lovely musical sound. It's the sort of sound you can immediately recognise when it is done well. Sounds right, sounds natural. Leading edges have the right impact without being exaggerated or harsh.
Wide and deep soundstage, but again not exaggerated, excellent imaging and channel separation. Plenty of bass. I have heard deeper, but the quality has rarely been better and then only in much more expensive systems.
My musical tastes are pretty catholic ranging over most classical, rock and pop and some jazz, particularly Patricia Barber. The cello concertos of Haydyn and Elgar from Du Pre, Barbirolli and Barenboim sound absolutely delightful. And, as I type, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Free Falling" has all the emotion you could expect. The Ryan Adams "Live at Carnegie Hall" is a real treat to listen to with its subtle and not so subtle, expressionism communicated so well.
Now that is with the benefit of the PH1000 psu which definitely lifts the performance of the phono stage significantly and notably in respect of the articulation of the vocals. That said, even without the PSU the PH1000 is a very good phonostage at its price point and is very competitive with other models sound wise,
and with the bonus of top class versatilty and build quality which are not guaranteed with other makes.
With the PSU the price is clearly in the top end of phono stages, it is in no way inferior to them and the PSU can always be added at a later stage.
I have had no regrets at all with the Goldnote, without and with the PSU.I will not be replacing it. I can very honestly recommend it very highly both for sound quality and value for money.
I hope that is helpful to you, but do feel free to come back to me if I can be of further assistance.
Kind regards.
Barry

Reactions: audio.bill

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Barry, thanks for your comprehensive response. It certainly keeps my interest in this piece alive especially if "even without the PSU the PH1000 is a very good phonostage at its price point and is very competitive with other models sound wise". I'm currently running running a PS Audio Stellar and I'm really enjoying what it does; I just wish it was a touch warmer and musical. I know PS Audio is working on a higher end range; so I intend to make upgrade around its release, I will choose between the Gold Note and PS Audio based on listening. Again thanks for your feedback.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for getting back to me.
I am glad my experience was helpful.
Do let me know what you decide once you have had the opportunity to audition the contenders.

Reactions: lightmentat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing