Graham 2.2 with Denon ML-160

ironcloudz

Feb 1, 2021
Greetings:

I recently mounted a Denon ML-160 ontoa Graham 2.2 arm to replace a Vdh Grasshopper 3 out for repair.

However it is so plasticky light (4.8 g) that even pushing the counterweight all the way towards the front yields a max of .8 VTF which unsurprisingly has the stylus bouncing in the groove.

My brilliant solution was to put a wee bit of cardboard on top which brings it up to 1.3, only a bit under its stated minimum of 1.5.

As a basis for comparison my Vdh Grasshopper weight is 12.2 g.

The manual for the arm states that the standard counterweight will balance carts between 4-7 grams which is in the low range for the Denon. I emailed Bob Graham via his website and see what he has to say but no response yet.

Maybe I had to do something to the counterweight to get it to work with the heavy Vdh which I need to undo. Memory fails.

Anyone have a Graham arm and/or have advice?

Much Thanks,

-stu

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Greetings:

I recently mounted a Denon ML-160 ontoa Graham 2.2 arm to replace a Vdh Grasshopper 3 out for repair.

However it is so plasticky light (4.8 g) that even pushing the counterweight all the way towards the front yields a max of .8 VTF which unsurprisingly has the stylus bouncing in the groove.

My brilliant solution was to put a wee bit of cardboard on top which brings it up to 1.3, only a bit under its stated minimum of 1.5.

As a basis for comparison my Vdh Grasshopper weight is 12.2 g.

The manual for the arm states that the standard counterweight will balance carts between 4-7 grams which is in the low range for the Denon. I emailed Bob Graham via his website and see what he has to say but no response yet.

Maybe I had to do something to the counterweight to get it to work with the heavy Vdh which I need to undo. Memory fails.

Anyone have a Graham arm and/or have advice?

Much Thanks,

-stu
There have been issues with Graham arm and light cartridges, AFAIK there isn't a lighter counterweight for the tonearm. My solution is a little blue tack on the head.

david

ironcloudz

Feb 1, 2021
There have been issues with Graham arm and light cartridges, AFAIK there isn't a lighter counterweight for the tonearm. My solution is a little blue tack on the head.

david
Thanks. I guess that is why Mr Graham has not responded to my emailed request for assistance.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Something I've done in this situation is to blutak a brass crown nut to the headshell...the blutak stays hidden underneath.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing