Greta Thunberg loses out on Nobel Peace Prize. How could so many be wrong?

Did the Nobel Judges get it right by not awarding Greta Thunberg the Novel Peace Prize

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Me I think she's right to speak with that tone to many world leaders, some close to us ...
She's 100% better than them. She's in my good book ...
Nothing is going to take that away ... no fake video, no suggestive photo, nothing.
I'm looking @ our many leaders right now and they are a total disgrace.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Me I think she's right to speak with that tone to many world leaders, some close to us ...
Nothing is going to take that away ... no fake video, no suggestive photo, nothing.
I agree.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
You must have read the short article. :)

I read the article in the Economist. Is there a longer article that I should have read that can tell me the same thing? Has an environmentalist won the Peace prize before? No.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

She has a right to speak as we all do, but Nobel Peace Prize...not even on the same sheet of paper.

Now if she had made a raft out of organic materials, tied logs together and sailed across the ocean that would be one thing but making the journey on a 100% petroleum based product and then flying her return trip crew on a jet to sail it back. Hardly a green statement.

Kind of like protesting petroleum in petroleum based everything.

Houston we have a problem
Cannibalism to save the earth and whats worse is people that are easily influenced taking it to heart.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/swedish-scientist-eating-humans-climate-change

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think Nobel Peace Prize lost any relevance when Obama won it in 2009.

That I agree with. Even though I like Obama, and I would take him back in a heartbeat over what we have now. He got the prize for what he allegedly was, not for what he had done, which is preposterous.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
From the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4e6efc-eba4-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

Henrik Urdal, head of the Peace Research Institute Oslo, omitted Thunberg from the Nobel Peace Prize shortlist he publishes.

He explained his decision to The Washington Post, saying there “isn’t scientific consensus that there is a linear relationship between climate change — or resource scarcity, more broadly — and armed conflict.

I like Greta, but nothing to do with peace efforts in her campaign, so far.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4e6efc-eba4-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

Henrik Urdal, head of the Peace Research Institute Oslo, omitted Thunberg from the Nobel Peace Prize shortlist he publishes.

He explained his decision to The Washington Post, saying there “isn’t scientific consensus that there is a linear relationship between climate change — or resource scarcity, more broadly — and armed conflict.

I like Greta, but nothing to do with peace efforts in her campaign, so far.
Let’s put it this way..., she’s not Malala Yousafzai

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

That wasn't good... But at least he was a SOMEONE, that could directly do something, not a girl picked by back channel parties to get on TV because she wanted to show off what she learned in acting class; and looks like she's 12 instead of 16. People act like she's the only young person that would get up in front of a camera, she's not.

Reactions: djsina2

djsina2

May 30, 2019
That wasn't good... But at least he was a SOMEONE, that could directly do something, not a girl picked by back channel parties to get on TV because she wanted to show off what she learned in acting class; and looks like she's 12 instead of 16. People act like she's the only young person that would get up in front of a camera, she's not.

I give her and her handlers credit. She’s going to make a lot of money off this show of hers.

Reactions: analogsa

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
FWIW, I would not pound on a child trying to make a change for the better, whatever that is. I know she tries more than I at least do. In the end, she did not nominate herself, unlike, say, others much less intelligent somewhere around this country attempted to do.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
She's still going to look back on this in ten years and be like, "oh god, that was me..."

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As with all things the answer is in the middle and no one will admit to it and put forth the effort to do just that. Its the basis of our political system.

On the left you have anyone that disagrees with them are labeled as "crazy for having such a thought"
On the right you have anyone that disagrees with them are labeled as " crazy for having such a thought"

We are an industrial world and always will be.

The USA and others want all the products and luxuries of an industrial nation and petroleum products but we just don't want the byproducts produced on our shores, pretty arrogant to expect another country to pollute the world for our comfort.

That being said as a result in comparison to other countries the USA is one of the cleanest nations in the world, kind of sort of, as all our products are being produced in these "dirty" nations. Our tailpipe so to speak is over seas.

The left needs to understand everything about their every day life is petroleum based in one way or another.

The right needs to understand without question we can do better.

Sit down at the table and have a conversation already.

Reactions: Al M.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The African leader that got the Nobel peace prize deserved it.

Reactions: howiebrou

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

I don't know why Obama got it, but if it was because of the Iranian nuclear deal, he deserved it. Now look at where we are at without it.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I give her and her handlers credit. She’s going to make a lot of money off this show of hers.

You think whe is in it for the money? Are you daft?

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
That being said as a result in comparison to other countries the USA is one of the cleanest nations in the world, kind of sort of, as all our products are being produced in these "dirty" nations. Our tailpipe so to speak is over seas.

That's right, blame it on somebody else. Stick your head in the sand. We are only the second largest emitter in the world anyway. We used the be the world leader on these types of things. We could influence other nations. Now we just reneg on and back out of agreements and betray our allies. Punish other nations for not buying enough of our products. Shameful behavior and I'm not proud to be an American anymore. None of us should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing