Grimm MU-1 server review - A new force in digital source?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
When hearing the AES output from the MU-1, I would disconnect the USB output to the DAC, just in case there is some clock signal from the USB overriding/interfering with the AES signal.
Do give it a couple of weeks without any disconnecting of the AES cable.

Sep 10, 2022
Has anyone compared the grimm to any of the other top servers from antipodes , taiko , etc care to comment on the sonic differences?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Has anyone compared the grimm to any of the other top servers from antipodes , taiko , etc care to comment on the sonic differences?
Some comparisons you find here:

In a post here on WBF the reviewer admitted that the Taiko is superior to K50 and MU1.
I am not aware of any comparison Oladra vs. Taiko.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
If budget is a factor: Grimm MU1 with 2 TB storage = $12,000. Taiko and Oladra are twice the price.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Looking for aes cable for Grimm. Thinking of jorma. Any other recommendations from fellow Grimm owners?

Reactions: aangen

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Looking for aes cable for Grimm. Thinking of jorma. Any other recommendations from fellow Grimm owners?
Kubala-Sosna AES works well for me. As we know, one's setup and preferences very much influence cable selection.

Reactions: richard_crl032

Apollo

Sep 4, 2022
Bay Area, California
I recently purchased the Mogami 3080 AES/EBU (per HFA's recommendation), and found it (in my room, on my system, to my ears...) spectacular relative to the DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU I was using before : greater dynamic range, tighter bass, airier. Simply amazing and engaging. Cable cost was €35... Bought direct from enoaudio in Berlin, Germany. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I recently purchased the Mogami 3080 AES/EBU (per HFA's recommendation), and found it (in my room, on my system, to my ears...) spectacular relative to the DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU I was using before : greater dynamic range, tighter bass, airier. Simply amazing and engaging. Cable cost was €35... Bought direct from enoaudio in Berlin, Germany. Highly recommended.
A good reason for a cable demo. I started with the Mogami and it is a very good cable (great flexibility too). Amazing for the price. But the Kubala-Sosna in my setup (and joining the rest of the KS family already implemented) was more to my liking. The price difference, however, was very considerable. All in all, I don't think the MU1 is fussy about cables, including the power cable.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I just used the Grimm TPR cable which is what they use in the studio's and found that to be tonally right.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
An interesting review here: https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2022/07/24/the-grimm-mu1-review-the-magic-audiophile-streamer/

From the review: "The way the Grimm does what it does is rather amazing as the result is a sound so refined, so beautiful, so complete…it’s indescribable. I mean, I can not really describe what I hear as it is well above the usual intimate and emotional sound I am used to in this room. I will try to describe what I hear though as it is extremely rich, grand, alive, exciting and the scale is massive with the Fleetwood Deville SQ Speakers. It has that human touch and there is absolutely zero indications that I am listening to digital music when the Grimm is serving up the sounds."

That is how I hear it too. The music "breathes."

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
I use a Stealth Audio Helios, it would be hard to find better.

Reactions: amadeus

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Thanks all for the suggestion. I intended to get an AES cable which is as neutral and transparent as possible. And more importantly won’t break my account. Eventually decided on Jorma digital cable

7152A16C-F4CC-4E0E-AD24-1EB6F0B85385.jpeg

Low325

May 2, 2021
Hi,
Acquired a MU1…does this unit ever go to sleep? Is there a setting to allow it to automatically go into standby mode? The browser settings look simple enough but I dont think I see one?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Hi,
Acquired a MU1…does this unit ever go to sleep? Is there a setting to allow it to automatically go into standby mode? The browser settings look simple enough but I dont think I see one?
I never use the standby option, but I believe that the only way to put it into standby is via the main knob control as explained in the software manual.

From what I've been told, the only energy savings is small since only the screen is turned off in standby. I don't use the screen, so have set the "display auto dim" in the browser and have the brightness at the minimum setting.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Also, Eelco Grimm wrote the following in the MU1 thread on Audiophile Style: "The next firmware update will indeed add a 'go into standby' function from within the GRUI [web interface]. It is not possible to wake the MU1 from standby however, you will still need to turn or click the big knob."

Low325

May 2, 2021
@PYP thanks for confirming. It’s a nice elegant unit. Enjoying the tactile adjustments with the wheel.
I’ve a Tambaqui coming in for demo. I see you have the same duo? Looking forward to this….

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
@PYP thanks for confirming. It’s a nice elegant unit. Enjoying the tactile adjustments with the wheel.
I’ve a Tambaqui coming in for demo. I see you have the same duo? Looking forward to this….
Very nice combo indeed. For my demo, I followed the suggestion to leave the DAC on all the time. It takes a while to warm up.

I tried both the SPDIF and AES outputs on the MU1 to connect to the Tambaqui. Using the Tambaqui's convenient cell app makes switching simple (can also control volume if going straight to an amp). I suspect that any difference in presentation will be the result of the cable used. Have fun!

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Hi,
the MU1 draws very little power and I recommend leaving it on to all my customers. As PYP says, it takes a while for the MU1 to warm to operating temperature so just leave it on. You can turn the display off from the Web app.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Four weeks ago, or so, I had a brand new MU1 in house for audition. I broke the seal on the box. That's how new it was.

Roon would play about 8 seconds (never hearing it through the system), and then skip ahead to the next track, where the process repeated infinitum. After several power downs and resets, the situation would not correct. The MU1 had the most recent Roon software, as did the Roon app I was using.

Taking a feed from the MU1's USB port worked fine. The digital outputs from the MU1 processor was where the problem occurred.

My other Roon enabled streamer and DACs worked perfectly using the same LAN feed.

It was quite disappointing. I returned the MU1 to the retailer the next day, with a request that when they solved the problem to please contact me because I'd still be interested in the audition.

I never heard anything back from the retailer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing