Gryphon Essence

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well and taking care. A few quick updates:

1. The Essence combo is sounding more open and relaxed as it breaks in, as one would expect. The frequency extremes are developing further and the overall sound is extremely natural and continuous. This may seems like a weird compliment, but at the end of a long day I find it extremely easy to relax to music late at night and fall asleep at the sofa - not because the sound is boring, but because the music flows so organically and free of irritating distortions that it's extremely soothing.

2. The Zena DAC module is also continuing to run in and is sounding better. For whatever reason, I'm finding it sounds better with DSD sources than PCM. Also note that I haven't done any optimization of the USB source, which is a Raspberry Pi 4B on an Apple USB-C power supply, running Ropieee and connected via a DH Labs Mirage USB. I'm sure with some effort I could get more out of the DAC.

3. As an aside, I wrote a short piece on the blog talking a bit about Class A operation and the other two amplifiers I had in-house, Pass Labs and Valvet. I only mention the Essence in passing, but it's setting the stage a bit for its own review.

I'm working through my publishing backlog now and the initial Essence review should be coming pretty soon - in the meantime, listening notes are being compiled but I must admit that I continue to find it much less interesting to talk about how it sounds vs. just enjoying the music through it. :)

My experience absolutely matches yours in 1. Sound is just effortless and there is nothing to irritate the deeply relaxing Kharma wrought by suitable music. Will be interesting to hear your final estimation of the DAC module. On Class A - having experienced A, I just can't listen, at any volume, to the A/B option anymore. The greater depth, weight, density, smoothness etc is addictive. I'll check the blog and look forward to the next instalment :)

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
Ok, one more quickie... listening to the Zena DAC more and realizing I seriously underestimated it. Actually starting to wonder if I still need the PS Audio DAC... I'll leave you with that cliffhanger for now. ;)

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Ok, one more quickie... listening to the Zena DAC more and realizing I seriously underestimated it. Actually starting to wonder if I still need the PS Audio DAC... I'll leave you with that cliffhanger for now. ;)

Cliffhanger indeed! Look forward to a summary/conclusion once Zena DAC is run in, then :)

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
So I’ve been using the stock power cable on the Essence amp as none of my others have a 20A IEC. The rest of my system, including the Essence pre, is wired with Furutech DPS-4.1 cable with their top NCF plugs which have really come into their own with the Essence in the system (their transparency tended to reveal a bit of grain in my other amps), so I ordered a DPS-4.1 with 20A plugs on both ends from Scot Markwell of Elite AV (Furutech’s US distributor). I don’t have a 20A circuit yet, but the Furutech power strip I’m using has their superb GTX-D NCF receptacles which are 20A.

I am really not one for hyperbole but vs the stock cord it is literally like a different amp. Of course I was expecting an upgrade over stock, but the amount of resolution it unlocks, listening to just a single track so far, is kind of mind-blowing. I put on a dense orchestral recording, Strauss Don Juan (Pittsburgh Symphony/Honeck/Reference Recordings), that my wife has been studying and I couldn’t believe how much more I could hear in complex passages. I could make out literally every instrument and line in the score, hearing all sorts of little woodwind fluttering figures and bass colors in even the most cacophonous sections, and the soundstage was rock solid behind the plane of the speakers, cavernous and precisely spaced all the way to the back corners of the stage. The bass also came alive, improving one of the only reservations I’ve had about the amp (the bottom end has been a bit polite on my speakers).

The best analogy is honestly being in the concert hall live, where there is just a sea of sound in front of you but you can pick and choose any instrument in the orchestra you want to zero in on and follow it without ever getting lost. The Essence amp with the DPS-4.1 has that sort of transcendental clarity and coherence. My wife commented that the performance of the famous oboe solo in the Strauss “sounded much better now that I can hear all the subtle things she (the principle oboist) is doing, there’s a lot of nuance I can appreciate that I couldn’t hear at all before.” Part of the challenge is that Reference Recording’s production has a very realistic mid-hall perspective that’s quite distant, and the oboe doesn’t benefit from any sort of spot-mic’ing, so you really need a system with tremendous resolution to retrieve all the nuance. The Furutech power cord unlocks this on the Essence in my system. The last time I heard this sort of resolution was at RMAF 2018, in the MSB Technology room with all their reference pieces and Magico M3 speakers. (Coincidentally I think it was also a Reference Recordings track they were playing.)

The DPS-4.1 is unique for a high-end cable in that you can buy it bulk and terminate it yourself, but I really recommend having Scot do it for you for a nominal fee - his terminations look and feel like a million bucks, and the total cost is quite reasonable for this level of performance. (I’m sure one could keep upgrading further but not sure I can convince myself to spend $2k+ on a power cord...)

@eagle3333 I believe you said you’re using Gryphon’s Headline cable which I’m sure is also an appreciable upgrade over stock so I’m probably just now hearing some of the things you’ve been enjoying. I had a sneaking suspicion the stock cord was holding the bass back given you find it even better than the Diablo - the Furutech seems to bring the bass, and so much more. Lots more running in and listening to do, and I have reviews of the Furutech power and speaker cables in the works. At some point I’ll have to try the preamp with a different cord, I’ve always had the Furutech on it... picture below is of that cable (15A plugs).

Attachments

• 1BC555B9-D869-4B39-A417-E15C67478FCB.jpeg
    1BC555B9-D869-4B39-A417-E15C67478FCB.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 24

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
So I’ve been using the stock power cable on the Essence amp as none of my others have a 20A IEC. The rest of my system, including the Essence pre, is wired with Furutech DPS-4.1 cable with their top NCF plugs which have really come into their own with the Essence in the system (their transparency tended to reveal a bit of grain in my other amps), so I ordered a DPS-4.1 with 20A plugs on both ends from Scot Markwell of Elite AV (Furutech’s US distributor). I don’t have a 20A circuit yet, but the Furutech power strip I’m using has their superb GTX-D NCF receptacles which are 20A.

I am really not one for hyperbole but vs the stock cord it is literally like a different amp. Of course I was expecting an upgrade over stock, but the amount of resolution it unlocks, listening to just a single track so far, is kind of mind-blowing. I put on a dense orchestral recording, Strauss Don Juan (Pittsburgh Symphony/Honeck/Reference Recordings), that my wife has been studying and I couldn’t believe how much more I could hear in complex passages. I could make out literally every instrument and line in the score, hearing all sorts of little woodwind fluttering figures and bass colors in even the most cacophonous sections, and the soundstage was rock solid behind the plane of the speakers, cavernous and precisely spaced all the way to the back corners of the stage. The bass also came alive, improving one of the only reservations I’ve had about the amp (the bottom end has been a bit polite on my speakers).

The best analogy is honestly being in the concert hall live, where there is just a sea of sound in front of you but you can pick and choose any instrument in the orchestra you want to zero in on and follow it without ever getting lost. The Essence amp with the DPS-4.1 has that sort of transcendental clarity and coherence. My wife commented that the performance of the famous oboe solo in the Strauss “sounded much better now that I can hear all the subtle things she (the principle oboist) is doing, there’s a lot of nuance I can appreciate that I couldn’t hear at all before.” Part of the challenge is that Reference Recording’s production has a very realistic mid-hall perspective that’s quite distant, and the oboe doesn’t benefit from any sort of spot-mic’ing, so you really need a system with tremendous resolution to retrieve all the nuance. The Furutech power cord unlocks this on the Essence in my system. The last time I heard this sort of resolution was at RMAF 2018, in the MSB Technology room with all their reference pieces and Magico M3 speakers. (Coincidentally I think it was also a Reference Recordings track they were playing.)

The DPS-4.1 is unique for a high-end cable in that you can buy it bulk and terminate it yourself, but I really recommend having Scot do it for you for a nominal fee - his terminations look and feel like a million bucks, and the total cost is quite reasonable for this level of performance. (I’m sure one could keep upgrading further but not sure I can convince myself to spend $2k+ on a power cord...)

@eagle3333 I believe you said you’re using Gryphon’s Headline cable which I’m sure is also an appreciable upgrade over stock so I’m probably just now hearing some of the things you’ve been enjoying. I had a sneaking suspicion the stock cord was holding the bass back given you find it even better than the Diablo - the Furutech seems to bring the bass, and so much more. Lots more running in and listening to do, and I have reviews of the Furutech power and speaker cables in the works. At some point I’ll have to try the preamp with a different cord, I’ve always had the Furutech on it... picture below is of that cable (15A plugs).

Glad the Furutech has taken things to another level :) I never compared the Gryphon Headline with the standard cord but it has to be an improvement. I use AQ NRG-4's throughout, elsewhere - to me, they're more neutral than the higher range AQ's and seem to just get out of the way of the music. Great improvement over stock and, all bought used, they were, therefore, excellent value, too. I'd like to hear one of these Furutech's one day..

Yes the bass is just immense. Over at Audiogon, 'Mike', a dealer, moots that Essence' power is more like 120w as opposed to the official 50w, such is the capability of the amp at driving every speaker he has in the shop. I would absolutely agree that Essence does not perform like an amp with only 16% of the power of the Diablo 300. Would be interesting to measure..?

Reactions: bmarq

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

@eagle3333 @taww Thanks for your informative and detailed reviews!
I have been looking at building a new system from scratch for a while now but having limited auditioning options and obviously travel restrictions due to the current situation I find reviews like yours are very helpful.

I had listened a while back to the Diablo 300 and found it matched my sonic aesthetics tastes.
I thought it was lively, tonally dense, dynamic and natural.
Reading your descriptions of the Essence combo bettering the Diablo, I can only imagine what it sounds like.

I am now considering an Aurender N20 as source feeding the essence pre+dac /amp combo into a paid of Magico A3's.

I actually do not have too large of a room so I cannot physically fit large speakers.

The characteristics I would like to get in my system are the following:
-Very Fast & Dynamic
-Very good 3D and imaging
-Detailed but natural. Not magnified to sound "hifi" - just natural and right
-Tonally dense and thick. I've noticed that very often going up the chain, you gain in depth and width but lose in density.
-Tight, controlled but full and deep bass

I've only auditioned the A3's once and shortly, they have things I like and others a bit less, but I believe they could be a good blank canvas for the essence combo and they would fit my room well aesthetically.

Unfortunately I won't have the chance to audition this combo so I'm gonna have to go ahead a take a punt on it.

Therefore your comments and recommendations are appreciated,

Thanks,

Steph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Tonal density, dynamic and tight, controlled, full and deep bass are all certainly characteristics I associate with Gryphon...and that includes all the through the Antileon, old Colosseum and Mephisto amps...cannot speak to Essence but certainly seems that they too uphold these characteristics.

I would not be surprised if Magico responded well to Gryphons, but I have not tried it myself though have spoken with others who have (not on A-series however).

The one area is speed...personally I find the Mephisto to have great speed...however, sometimes with tonal density particularly in the mids, powerful bass there can be a sense that other amps have more speed. I dont get this sense on Mephisto or the old Colosseum, but I believe others have commented so.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Tonal density, dynamic and tight, controlled, full and deep bass are all certainly characteristics I associate with Gryphon...and that includes all the through the Antileon, old Colosseum and Mephisto amps...cannot speak to Essence but certainly seems that they too uphold these characteristics.

I would not be surprised if Magico responded well to Gryphons, but I have not tried it myself though have spoken with others who have (not on A-series however).

The one area is speed...personally I find the Mephisto to have great speed...however, sometimes with tonal density particularly in the mids, powerful bass there can be a sense that other amps have more speed. I dont get this sense on Mephisto or the old Colosseum, but I believe others have commented so.
Thanks for your answer
Listening to the A3's, they sounded like the cabinet was extremely inert and only the drivers were moving - which makes me think that a combination of high current that will have a very good grip on good drivers would work well.
I also hope the gryphon class A will bring a bit of warmth and life to an otherwise possibly "analytical" cabinet.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your answer
Listening to the A3's, they sounded like the cabinet was extremely inert and only the drivers were moving - which makes me think that a combination of high current that will have a very good grip on good drivers would work well.
I also hope the gryphon class A will bring a bit of warmth and life to an otherwise possibly "analytical" cabinet.
That is helpful insight...my guestimate is that you could be on to a great combination based on your description.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
That is helpful insight...my guestimate is that you could be on to a great combination based on your description.
Thanks, I will let you know how it develops. I'm gonna go and have a second more thorough listen at the A3's as well as the S1MKII

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Any comments on the Zena DAC module are also appreciated. I believe that I will go for it for a few reasons:
One less box & cables
Price is competitive vs higher end dac's
It is designed to work with this combo/setup

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, I will let you know how it develops. I'm gonna go and have a second more thorough listen at the A3's as well as the S1MKII
Great...please do!

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Hi Alchemist, the Essence pair possess the qualities you seek but speakers will have something of a defining effect. For speed you can’t beat AMT tweeters in Gryphon speakers. Likely Audiovector, too - the new R6 looks very interesting. But Youtube has many videos pairing Gryphon and Magico so I assume it works. However, unless you’re rich, at this level a demo should be mandatory. Nothing anyone else says/hears is ultimately relevant to your hearing, sensibilities or room - latter has huge impact. I really would explore every avenue to achieve a demo, even if it’s not at home. My dealer sent my 300 to me to try out before buying.

N.B. Essence is the most transparent amplification I’ve experienced. I sense it neither adds nor detracts anything significant to/from the recording. Anything else in the chain which does will be highlighted in the end result. You’ll likely need transparent (top end) elements throughout to achieve best return and the reverse is true - a poor cable could skew SQ in a ‘less than optimum’ direction. This has been my experience gained over several years of an often fraught and expensive mistakes journey!

But Essence is stunning and final amplification for me - it’s future home is noted in my Will!

Enjoy this exciting moment in your own journey :)

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
...on the DAC - the Zena module I’ve not heard. I totally get the minimising of boxes and pursued same for a while. Almost everything was hidden in a long cabinet. But in the end, excellence prevailed over aesthetics and footprint. The vibration from the cabinet had a significant negative impact and I went back to a good rack. Essence separates took more space but we’re a no-brainer on SQ. A separate DAC has the advantages listed already in this thread. I imagine the module is a good performer and you’d likely be happy. Bear in mind Zena uses 9018 chip. This is ‘old’ tech. My DAC has 9028 chips whilst latest Sabre chips are 9038 - see Ethos, W4S... But it’s a question of when is enough enough and budget..

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi @eagle3333
Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm over the brand and your experience!
If I had more space I would seriously consider your speakers as well since I find them stunning.
I took a look at the audiovector but I'm limited in depth. I can't have them too forward in the room and I don't want to have them too close to the back wall. Hence why I think the magico would work is also because they're quite compact and I assume the closed cabinet might make bass management and placement easier. I will compare them this week to S1 MKII.

I'm with you on the demo but sadly I don't think it can be organized. I would have to see where they have the essence but then again they will probably not have the speakers I'm considering paired with.
So I'm just going from logic. I have listened in the past to the diablo 300 driven by a meitner dac and an aurender as a source and it was working really really well. So I already know I like the diablo sound and thanks to your thorough and detailed review, I'm now convinced I will like the essence even more. I've had the chance to compare an aurender again recently with an auralic and a lumin and the aurender came out on top again. Another source consideration is the Taiko extreme that is getting rave review everywhere and especially on this forum but its significantly more expensive and much more taxing in real estate.
As for the speakers, Ive only listened to them briefly and I'm gonna go and listen to them again this week. So I will have to take a punt by imagining how it would sound together. I know of other A3's owners who paired them with diablo's and seem happy with it.

I'm also with you on effects of cabling and basic audio "hygiene". I'm planning dedicated lines and also network improvements.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
...on the DAC - the Zena module I’ve not heard. I totally get the minimising of boxes and pursued same for a while. Almost everything was hidden in a long cabinet. But in the end, excellence prevailed over aesthetics and footprint. The vibration from the cabinet had a significant negative impact and I went back to a good rack. Essence separates took more space but we’re a no-brainer on SQ. A separate DAC has the advantages listed already in this thread. I imagine the module is a good performer and you’d likely be happy. Bear in mind Zena uses 9018 chip. This is ‘old’ tech. My DAC has 9028 chips whilst latest Sabre chips are 9038 - see Ethos, W4S... But it’s a question of when is enough enough and budget..
Yes, you're spot on on the logic behind it.
The problem that I foresee is that as always in hifi I would have a to spend considerably more for marginal gains.
I will keep on investigating but it's not easy because if you ask 10 people you're going to have 10 answers!
At one point, I'm just gonna have to pull the trigger and see for myself!

Reactions: eagle3333

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Hi @eagle3333
Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm over the brand and your experience!
If I had more space I would seriously consider your speakers as well since I find them stunning.
I took a look at the audiovector but I'm limited in depth. I can't have them too forward in the room and I don't want to have them too close to the back wall. Hence why I think the magico would work is also because they're quite compact and I assume the closed cabinet might make bass management and placement easier. I will compare them this week to S1 MKII.

I'm with you on the demo but sadly I don't think it can be organized. I would have to see where they have the essence but then again they will probably not have the speakers I'm considering paired with.
So I'm just going from logic. I have listened in the past to the diablo 300 driven by a meitner dac and an aurender as a source and it was working really really well. So I already know I like the diablo sound and thanks to your thorough and detailed review, I'm now convinced I will like the essence even more. I've had the chance to compare an aurender again recently with an auralic and a lumin and the aurender came out on top again. Another source consideration is the Taiko extreme that is getting rave review everywhere and especially on this forum but its significantly more expensive and much more taxing in real estate.
As for the speakers, Ive only listened to them briefly and I'm gonna go and listen to them again this week. So I will have to take a punt by imagining how it would sound together. I know of other A3's owners who paired them with diablo's and seem happy with it.

I'm also with you on effects of cabling and basic audio "hygiene". I'm planning dedicated lines and also network improvements.
All sounds very hopeful! Dedicated lines are so cheap compared to everything else and make huge difference. If you know of A3/Diablo owners why not PM them and see if there’s one within a few hours travel distance? Where are you?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
All sounds very hopeful! Dedicated lines are so cheap compared to everything else and make huge difference. If you know of A3/Diablo owners why not PM then and see if there’s one within a few hours travel distance? Where are you?
I've seen one on another forum but he's in the US and I'm in France! I'll write to him
Where I am is a no man's land for hifi!
I usually travel abroad quite a lot for work but I'm kinda stuck at home with all this Covid BS!

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
..oh, and the Mojo S speakers are specifically designed for smaller spaces. They sound like towers and bass is incredible but they control it so effectively there are no boom issues. My gf was delighted when I dumped all the panels and bass traps!

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
I've seen one on another forum but he's in the US and I'm in France! I'll write to him
Where I am is a no man's land for hifi!
I usually travel abroad quite a lot for work but I'm kinda stuck at home with all this Covid BS!
Ah, right. Yes Magico seems to have biggest presence in USA. Quite rare in UK too. I thought about them too but ultimately put off by too many reports of lean sound. Lean speakers would sound hard and thin with Gryphon. Better with McIntosh I’d think. But I only read it; didn’t find any to actually listen to. What about Audiovector SR3? A bit smaller but still the AMT tweeter. European so maybe more distributors in France. Regardless, enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing