gryphon .vs. luxman .vs. pilium

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
My source is all digital/streaming, speakers are Wilson Sasha DAW, DAC right now is dCS Bartok (will prolly go Rossini + clock) and intent
is to go from DAC to amp direct.

I have 4 amp choices and am trying to decide which way to go :

• Gryphon Antileon EVO
  • Gryphon Essence Monoblocks
  • Pilium Iasonas Stereo
  • Luxman m900u monoblocks

Wondering what folks here think. I have been hiding under a rock for many years with respect to gear and have not kept up like i
once did. as an audiophile since the early 90s am into music more once gear synergy is had. Have owned many a vtl, cary, wilson,
dCS, krell etc.,

Thanks.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello Alvin, I am sure you will get plenty of replies and thoughts on this subject. First let me state that I have never heard Pilium so I can't comment on it at all.

I am a Gryphon owner and very much like what that amplifier does. Given the choice between a pair of Essence mono's and a Antilieon EVO driving the Sasha DAW I would easily choose the Antileon EVO. Even though the Essence is mono it is still "only" 50 watts. Granted a very powerful 50 watts. In the recent Stereophile review of the Essence the reviewed made some notes that would lead one to believe it was that the edge of driving his Alexia2's. The 150W of the Antileon EVO will be more than enough.

The luxman sound will be very different than Gryphon. you really wont' know which you prefer unless you listen to them. It is also a 150W stereo amp which bridged I think is 600W. However, the way the luxman is bridged will double the distortion and double the output impedance. This will mean less bass control. If I was going to do the M900u then, personally, I would only consider the stereo version for this reason. As a note when the Gryphon goes mono they keep the same output power so the distortion gets cut in half as does the output impedance giving even more bass control. Of course a single M900u is less than 1/2 the cost of an Antileon EVO. A better comparison between luxman and Gryphon would be between the Essence stereo and M900u stereo.

I recently ran across this youtube channel that you might find interesting for another point of view on the subject as he has had, in his room, Sasha DAW's, Alexia 2's and Alexx. He has also had the luxman M900u, the Gryphon colloseum and the Mephisto. search for Jay's audio lab.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Interesting your choices don't seem to be converging sonically. What made you short list these four? With the Stern as your pre, I'm also surprised the Heisenbergs aren't on your list.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
He does’t have a preamp. He is going direct from dcs..

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
No worries. I have had tons of people ask why I don't have Heisenbergs. Easy answer is 2X the cost of the Gryphon.

Reactions: Scott W

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hopefully you can audition all your choices in your system. There's only one person who's opinion matters and can determine which is the best option.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Hopefully you can audition all your choices in your system. There's only one person who's opinion matters and can determine which is the best option.
My source is all digital/streaming, speakers are Wilson Sasha DAW, DAC right now is dCS Bartok (will prolly go Rossini + clock) and intent
is to go from DAC to amp direct.

I have 4 amp choices and am trying to decide which way to go :

• Gryphon Antileon EVO
  • Gryphon Essence Monoblocks
  • Pilium Iasonas Stereo
  • Luxman m900u monoblocks

Wondering what folks here think. I have been hiding under a rock for many years with respect to gear and have not kept up like i
once did. as an audiophile since the early 90s am into music more once gear synergy is had. Have owned many a vtl, cary, wilson,
dCS, krell etc.,

Thanks.
What a fantastic shortlist. I have not heard the others so can’t comment other than to say the Antileon EVO is amazing. I would guess that it will be better than the Essence monos. But I don’t know. One thing about the AE - it is very warm and rich, and IMO doesn’t play hard rock/grunge as well as other amps. For all other genres, it is fantastic. IMO because of the warmth and richness, Gryphon is best paired with neutral speakers.

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
I’ve gone in a very different (and far better sonically, albeit more $) direction on this adventure.....will share soon...

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
When you decide to buy a car (or spend car type money on an amp) you want to test drive it at least. The biggest issue with Gryphon gear is that dealers do not have an Antelion EVO to listen to. That rules out Gryphon Antelion EVO for me as I don't buy gear based on reviews - I've to live with what I purchase, after all. I checked off the Luxman, too....for technical reasons....That leaves me with Pilium Iasonas and two new entrants : Boulder 2160 and Constellation Centaur II 500 Stereo for amps. For speakers, I'm going with Magico I think. Let's see.....

geopolitis

Apr 6, 2016
It’s going to be a tough task for Boulder 2160 and Constellation Centaur to compete with the Pilium Iasonas. I am really curious about your final decision...

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
i have spoken to bob about going over to rhapsody and listening to ‘em. have not set up time....

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
When you decide to buy a car (or spend car type money on an amp) you want to test drive it at least. The biggest issue with Gryphon gear is that dealers do not have an Antelion EVO to listen to. That rules out Gryphon Antelion EVO for me as I don't buy gear based on reviews - I've to live with what I purchase, after all. I checked off the Luxman, too....for technical reasons....That leaves me with Pilium Iasonas and two new entrants : Boulder 2160 and Constellation Centaur II 500 Stereo for amps. For speakers, I'm going with Magico I think. Let's see.....
Very interested to know what’s your final thought as we are on the same path.

Reactions: alvinjamur

Datka

May 21, 2021
For years I've been running Dac direct from Cord Dave to Luxman m900 , only to realize how much more music is enjoyable one proper preamp is added , was lucky to get Luxman cl1000 tube pre , for me it was a game changer

Reactions: Katzky and econom

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
I have been thinking of getting the Pilium Audio Theseus to replace my Soulution setup by driving the amp dcs/MSB (still thinking if I should get them). Thought about the Pilium Audio integrateds briefly as well.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I have been thinking of getting the Pilium Audio Theseus to replace my Soulution setup by driving the amp dcs/MSB (still thinking if I should get them). Thought about the Pilium Audio integrateds briefly as well.
You will be pretty happy with Pilium than soulution.

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
You will be pretty happy with Pilium than soulution.
How do you like yours? See you drive thhe Magicos. I heard the Ares/Achilles amp drive Kharmas (that video on YouTube) and like what I heard. In a way it is clean and crisp sound similar to Soulution.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
How do you like yours? See you drive thhe Magicos. I heard the Ares/Achilles amp drive Kharmas (that video on YouTube) and like what I heard. In a way it is clean and crisp sound similar to Soulution.
Yeah I’m very happy it still excites me and surprise me from time to time.

Reactions: bob82

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing