Harbeth Monitor 40.2

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
Even the cornwalls the bass was good but not great.

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
to me it needs to reach around 30hz as well.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Here are two more pictures of my current listening room showing the missing view of the other rear side of the room, plus the view of the ceiling. I could only attach five photos to my original post.

The ceiling photo is looking up at the ceiling from behind my listening seat. It shows two 2-foot by 2-foot sections of 4"-thick Sonex balanced atop the fan blades. These pieces of Sonex were placed so as to absorb the ceiling reflection of the speakers as seen from the listening position.

I obviously can't use the fan like this. I had every intention of permanently attaching the Sonex to the ceiling, but this arrangement worked so well sonically, and stapling that Sonex to the ceiling while holding it above my head and avoiding the fan blades seems like such a daunting task, that for now I've decided to leave it just like it is and forego use of the fan. The several inches between the back side of the Sonex and the ceiling surface may actually make the Sonex more effective in terms of absorption at lower frequencies.

View attachment 39873
Very nice.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
playing around with a pair of Harbeth 40.2 in beautiful eucalyptus veneer.

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg IMG_7852.jpg IMG_7849.jpg IMG_7851.jpg

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Tom - Your initial post on this thread raves about the big Harbeth stand-mount and you list earlier speakers in your system. Correctly if I'm wrong but I seem to remember numerous long posts from you raving about the Dutch & Dutch 8c speakers that I believe you owned.

Why have these D&Ds fallen from your affections so dramatically that they don't get a mention in your OP here? Having said that, I'm with you about the big Harbeths. Although I've not spent time listening to them at a showroom, let along having them in my home, so I'm basing my approval solely on my visit to a hi-fi show in UK 4 or so years ago when these Harbeths were playing almost as background music in a spacious room. I mentally chose them as my "best in show" sound, although admittedly it wasn't the highest of high end shows, but nevertheless I was most impressed by their relaxed rendition of music, particularly the excellent bass from their big woofers. This was in contrast to the more conspicuous (and more costly) systems that use typically 2 or 3 smaller woofers (6 or 7") for bass that always sounds like they are straining to provide good and realistic bass. Give me a decent 12" over 6, 7 or 8" drivers any day.

The Harbeth isn't a speaker for me as I don't like the look of them (too 1960s BBC monitor in appearance) and I don't like stand-mounts, but I have to admit they sound terrific. It's just a shame that your room doesn't allow them more space between each other or their distance from your chair. A bit more breathing space and they'd be even more impressive.

Whatever happened to the D&Ds? Peter

PS - Have you considered using a less "bland" amplifier than the Benchmarks. Of the dozen amps I bought or bollowed to home audition in my system, the AHB2s were just about the biggest disappointement of the lot. Such a shame because they have some great features and are truly excellent on paper.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Definitely put the grilles back on and try more absorption on the floor in front of the speakers.
they do play with the grilles on, but on pictures they look better without them :)

Reactions: dan31

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I am still soldiering on with the Harbeth M40.1. Still a very easy speaker to listen to for long sessions. Not the best at any one thing, but maybe that’s just what I need. I do use Spectral electronics.

Reactions: pdreher

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
If I understand you correctly, Peter, you're wondering why my original post in the Harbeth thread doesn't mention the Dutch & Dutch 8c's which I've raved about. The simple answer is the timeline.

As best I can recall, the time order of main speakers I've had in my current stereo room is:

Stirling LS3/6 (first without, and then with AudioKinesis Swarm subwoofers)
Janszen Valentina Active
Harbeth M40.2
Gradient 1.4
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Sanders 10e

You can check this by looking at the date of my original posts in my threads about each of these speakers. Thus, currently, I'm mostly writing about my Sanders experiences, although I do occasionally add posts to prior threads about speakers and other equipment I've owned or currently own.

Just before I responded to your post, I did in fact add an update on the D&D speakers here:

I still have the D&Ds, but am not currently using them. I sold the Harbeth M40.2 when I acquired the Gradient 1.4. I still greatly admire the Harbeth sound, however, and would not be averse to acquiring a pair of the new M40.3 if I had a bit larger room for them. I did not keep the M40.2s because the later M40.2 Anniversary model was already out and I knew before I sold my M40.2 that Alan Shaw would be updating to a new M40.3 model.

The Sanders happen to work extremely well in my small room because of their very narrow high-frequency dispersion. They also don't give me claustrophobia listened to at close range since the electrostatic panels are transparent.

The Harbeths are not about looks. Maybe that's why you have the grilles off, to show more of the fine wood finish. But, honestly, the Harbeths sound better with the grilles on.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Those Avalons are gorgeous! I wonder if the M40.2’s would open up more if they had free space to the outside? No way I would move the Avalons so let it be.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
If I understand you correctly, Peter, you're wondering why my original post in the Harbeth thread doesn't mention the Dutch & Dutch 8c's which I've raved about. The simple answer is the timeline.

As best I can recall, the time order of main speakers I've had in my current stereo room is:

Stirling LS3/6 (first without, and then with AudioKinesis Swarm subwoofers)
Janszen Valentina Active
Harbeth M40.2
Gradient 1.4
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Sanders 10e

You can check this by looking at the date of my original posts in my threads about each of these speakers. Thus, currently, I'm mostly writing about my Sanders experiences, although I do occasionally add posts to prior threads about speakers and other equipment I've owned or currently own.

Just before I responded to your post, I did in fact add an update on the D&D speakers here:

I still have the D&Ds, but am not currently using them. I sold the Harbeth M40.2 when I acquired the Gradient 1.4. I still greatly admire the Harbeth sound, however, and would not be averse to acquiring a pair of the new M40.3 if I had a bit larger room for them. I did not keep the M40.2s because the later M40.2 Anniversary model was already out and I knew before I sold my M40.2 that Alan Shaw would be updating to a new M40.3 model.

The Sanders happen to work extremely well in my small room because of their very narrow high-frequency dispersion. They also don't give me claustrophobia listened to at close range since the electrostatic panels are transparent.

The Harbeths are not about looks. Maybe that's why you have the grilles off, to show more of the fine wood finish. But, honestly, the Harbeths sound better with the grilles on.
Sorry, I'd not noticed the date this thread was started - it just popped up when I clicked my usual start point on this forum, New Posts. As I said, I liked the relaxed way the Harbeths sounded, but it isn't me who has the pair without grills - I've never owned Harneths. I spoke with the UK distributor about D&Ds in my own room and they suggested against me getting them. Martin Logans sounded unhappy in my room (probably for much the same reason that D&D might), so I've stuck with Avantgarde horns, though recently upgraded twice - from Unos (bought new in 2002) to 2006 Duos bought 2 years ago to new Duo XDs.

Mhswitzer

Aug 18, 2022
I am looking to purchase Harbeth speakers which would work well in my large living room which is 14‘ deep and 37‘ wide. I will be sitting 10 to 12 feet from the speakers and do not need the sound to fill up the rest of the room. Woils the original SHL5 work there and could you recommend any other models that would work well in that space?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing