Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

My window based audio pc is actually 5meters away from devialet. I don't have XLR output. TOSLINK or SPDIF actually get poorer sound quality as compared with AIR if run cable more 5 meters. Agree with u. XLR cable is perfect solution. Does extra converter degrade the sound ?

-55 to -61dBm is not very good, the closer to zero the better. It's -20dBm on my Devialet and I no longer have issues since 6.0.7 except for the sudden WiFi drop off problem discussed earlier. I've reported this to Devialet and they have acknowlegded this issue and are now working with the manufacturer of the WiFi modules to get this resolved.

edit: with the current version of AIR it is much more important to have a good WiFi network. This is simply a fact, of course we can complain about it but if no one let's Devialet know they won't do anything. So please let them know. For now all else we can do is optimize both the WiFi network and our playback machines. Besides noting the WiFi strength one should also use the WiFi channel with the least active or better the weakest other accesspoints. Also configure your router to use N-only if possible and a channel width of 20Mhz (not 40) as this is more stable.

edit2: also note that with dBm the scale is logaritmic. A difference of 10dB equals to a factor of 10, 20dB a factor 100 and 40dB 10,000!! So the signal that arrives at my Devialet is around 10,000 times as strong as yours...

Thanks will try some of the stuff you have said, I have a AC router so yes it is N, will try the 20Mhz option.

Can someone please, please help me with this issue of the Devialet stops playing the music suddenly and make this (sssssshhhhhh) noise, it doesn't even drop the music or misses or skip, it just stops playing and outputs this loud hiss from the speakers. I have checked the Wi-Fi signals at the time it does it and its the same strength when its normally playing. I dont know what to do as I changed from 5.9 to 5.8 and still happens, man I cant deal with this anymore. Doesn't seem like a wi-fi issue as I have noticed there is no fluctuation in the signal at the time this happens. I have a headache now...........

I am really wondering what sense it makes to use wireless AIR connection if you have to place your router side-by-side or 1 or 2 meters from the Devialet or having to put a repeater close to the machine to make it work. Wireless 802.11 g/n norms are so prone to interference in crowded environments that you can never expect stable throughput of hirez material. Maybe the new 802.11 ac implementation will bring a workable solution, but before that I'd never try to listen to anything beyond 16/44.1. Devialet's wireless announcements were just a bit overblown and unrealistic imo.

I am also not convinced of the newly available USB option as long as there is the excellent balanced AES/EBU input, which I am using as the default (via Firewire/AES converter): No drop outs, no reduced quality, just pure musical pleasure...

Which converter are you using? Would be interested to hear if anyone has compared the internal USB to an offramp or Berkely alpha USB.

Thanks will try some of the stuff you have said, I have a AC router so yes it is N, will try the 20Mhz option.
Depends on which AC router you have. Most only work on 5 Ghz which isn't compatible with Devialet.

Last edited:
Depends on which AC router you have. Most only work on 5 Ghz which isn't compatible with Devialet.

I have a dual N, tried all the settings degrades signal more, even when I put it to 20Mhz. Leaving it in auto instead of 20MHz for 2.4 N I actually get a better signal. I have written to Devialet about the (ssssshhhh) sound, lets see what they say!

BTW router is Linksys EA6500 their latest and best AC model

I am thinking of getting a server like Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2, Aurender S10 is too expensive. Or wait till I get the 170 and try Ethernet. My idea was to avoid additional another box, really don't want to get a server, as with Ethernet my PS Audio PWD worked perfectly, never tried the PWD wireless though! Would like to keep the D-Premier over the 170 if the dealer gave a very good deal, but no Ethernet so might be a no go!

Any one using the Bryston servers?

CAT 3600,

I also had the same problem with a 240.
It happened when I was playing files of different resolutions, say a 16/44 followed by a 24/192 file.
Far far below that awful noise, a faint musical signal was buried.
I think it has to do with synchronisation of the different formats and the DAC input.
No idea for a solution.
BUT this problem seems to vanish if a 24/192 file is followed by a 16/44 one

Another of a long list of troubles.

Also had that nasty trouble with the remote suddenly stopping and de-pairing from the 240. Changed the batteries, tried to re-pait.
Sometime solved the problem, many times not. So Devialet sent me a replacement remote.

Had no music for 2 weeks...:mad:

CAT 3600,

I also had the same problem with a 240.
It happened when I was playing files of different resolutions, say a 16/44 followed by a 24/192 file.
Far far below that awful noise, a faint musical signal was buried.
I think it has to do with synchronisation of the different formats and the DAC input.
No idea for a solution.
BUT this problem seems to vanish if a 24/192 file is followed by a 16/44 one

Another of a long list of troubles.

Also had that nasty trouble with the remote suddenly stopping and de-pairing from the 240. Changed the batteries, tried to re-pait.
Sometime solved the problem, many times not. So Devialet sent me a replacement remote.

Had no music for 2 weeks...:mad:

Are you using the Ethernet with the 240 or wireless and drop in signal or music while streaming? Just want an idea if Ethernet is better?

Thanks.

Which converter are you using? Would be interested to hear if anyone has compared the internal USB to an offramp or Berkely alpha USB.

Weiss INT203

Devialet recommended the Weiss and EAS from the beginning. In fact, in many audio circles, firewire (400 or 800) is considered much better for audio than USB. This is also the position in the Weiss white paper on digital audio.

It happened when I was playing files of different resolutions, say a 16/44 followed by a 24/192 file. Far far below that awful noise, a faint musical signal was buried. I think it has to do with synchronisation of the different formats and the DAC input. No idea for a solution (...)
Good point and I think you are right. As I mentioned before we had this ugly loud noise during a session with my dealer, when we were listening to different loudspeaker cables and changed the track. It happend quite some times. Changing the track again solved the problem without other steps.

Concerning connection via WiFi, USB and ethernet I got an answer to my mail yesterday from Devialet right away. Summing up I would give the gist of it like that:

When dealing with WiFi, it is a deal with networks. They advise their customers to build their installation around Apple products because they simply work. That's what the guy of Devialet has done at home as well and he said he doesn't have any problem anymore. He can stream 24/192 without a glitch. All their customers who have gone that route are streaming without a problem. They - unfortunately - do not know what type of set-up people have that are still reporting issues. The drops they were facing with AIR 2.0 have been totally eliminated with version 2.1. They say, that their streamer is BY FAR the best solution sonically on the market. Talking about multiple A/B test between AIR and different wired or wireless solutions all beaten by them hands down. The only remaining point they have is that sometimes, after a long period of play (1, 2 or 3h) the link between the Devialet and computer might break. They are working on the issue. Nothing major as they wrote.

With the new models, they have added 2 new inputs (USB & Ethernet) on top of the AIR input. This adds to the flexibility. As they say further: Obviously a wired connection tends to be less subject to drops etc... On the other hand, they still believe that the best cable is no cable. The guy from Devialet wrote, that if one has a Mac Mini next to the Devialet 110/170/240, he should think about going through USB. They say it is very qualitative and one won't have to worry about creating network. It is still possible to lock the Devialet to a network and enjoy the possibility to control it remotely with your iPhone. It is also possible to go through an hybrid solution half Ethernet/half WiFi. Or full Ethernet etc....

What they wanted to tell is, that there is no really one better solution; they are ALL good. Users need to choose the one that suits their usage the best. This is why they don't make statements. They have developed equally beautiful solutions and users just need to pick the one they like best.

After some requests they confirmed again, that the 3 solutions are equally qualitative. They simply involve different usage type. If one connects his Mac via USB to the Devialet (provided that you use a short and genuine 2.0 cable) it will ´knock him off his socks´! His personal favorite still is AIR. Simply because for him the best cable is no cable and that he likes the convenience of not being tied to an equipment by a wire. They usually transmit the audio file from a HDD to the computer via USB and there's no issue. He doesn´t know why this should be any different when connecting the computer and the Devialet with USB. Again, provided using a genuine 2.0 less than 2m cable.

And I may give this information to you: Devialet is planing to publish shortly an information note in their knowledge database on the advantages and disadvantages of a DLNA / UPnP solution compared to their streamer AIR. In short, that they are not optimized to transmit large audio-streams and users are usually confronted with latency issues or general playback-quality problems.

Concerning connection via WiFi, USB and ethernet I got an answer to my mail yesterday from Devialet right away. Summing up I would give the gist of it like that:

When dealing with WiFi, it is a deal with networks. They advise their customers to build their installation around Apple products because they simply work. That's what the guy of Devialet has done at home as well and he said he doesn't have any problem anymore. He can stream 24/192 without a glitch.

Apple routers have never been the best though compared to say ASUS or Linksys and they just came out with their new Tall AC Extreme routers, which hasn't got any stellar reviews either, but for some reason if apple works better than I will go that route.

Thanks for the update. I too got an email from them asking me to build a dedicated net work for the Devialet using AirPort Express or Extreme. This means this dedicated connection LAN wont be connected to the internet, as I can only connect one router to my cable modem and also I will have to buy another dedicated PC or MAC Mini to run the AIR 2.1 software on it. (I think this is what they are talking about) So as far as I understand to create this network I don't need internet access to the outside world??

Last edited:
@cat3600, the computer running AIR2 should ideally be connected to your network using a wired ethernet connection. I don't understand why you have it connected to your network using both ethernet and WiFi. All you should do is create one logical network in which a WiFi accesspoint (or router setup as an accesspoint) is connected to a central switch. To this switch you also connect the PC/Mac running AIR. Place the WiFi router/AP near your Devialet, Remote control it using an iPad and you're really set to go and all devices have Internet access (although the Devialet doesn't need it).

If you have a cable modem that accepts only one ethernet connection replace it or connect it to a second router that has an inbuilt switch and let that router perform MAC masquerading or whatever your cable company requires you to do and connect the router near to the Devialet to the inbuilt ethernet switch of the router near your cable modem.

By the way I can really recommend the Asus RT-N66U, it's one of the best WiFi router/AP's out there and technically much better than the Apple stuff.

@cat3600, the computer running AIR2 should ideally be connected to your network using a wired ethernet connection. I don't understand why you have it connected to your network using both ethernet and WiFi. All you should do is create one logical network in which a WiFi accesspoint (or router setup as an accesspoint) is connected to a central switch. To this switch you also connect the PC/Mac running AIR. Place the WiFi router/AP near your Devialet, Remote control it using an iPad and you're really set to go and all devices have Internet access (although the Devialet doesn't need it).

If you have a cable modem that accepts only one ethernet connection replace it or connect it to a second router that has an inbuilt switch and let that router perform MAC masquerading or whatever your cable company requires you to do and connect the router near to the Devialet to the inbuilt ethernet switch of the router near your cable modem.

By the way I can really recommend the Asus RT-N66U, it's one of the best WiFi router/AP's out there and technically much better than the Apple stuff.

Oh I thought for some reason I had to have a wired Ethernet connection from my router to my PC and as well as have the Wireless on my PC activated as well. I have deactivated it now and only have Ethernet connected. I edited my above post so as not to confuse people like I was.

I have a Linksys EA6500 AC 1750 Dual Band Router its the latest AC router, so it should be good. Your Asus is also good but I believe it has been replaced by a newer AC router, which I don't think matters as the Devialet does not do 5 GHz which can only utilize AC speed.

Since my Wireless Router is upstairs and my Devialet is downstairs, should I get another router and bridge it and place it next to the Devialet downstairs. Since my cable modem and main PC is upstairs for the moment its impossible for me to locate the existing Wi-fi router downstairs. Its a stupid question but if I get a new router and put in Bridge mode, does it have to be connected to the main router via Ethernet or can communicate wirelessly?

Thanks

That is absolutely what I would do and in fact what I have done. My situation is exactly the same as yours: my DSL router/modem with built in switch is upstairs and my Devialet is downstairs. I have placed the Asus router downstairs close to the Devialet (at around 2 meters, in clear line of sight). A long ethernet cable runs through my house (invisible) and ceiling and connects the Asus router to my DSL router using a central gigabit switch also upstears. Of course I could connect the Asus directly to the built in switch (4 ports) of the DSL router but upstairs I require more than four ethernet ports so this explains the separate switch.

Stupid questions don't exist! :) In the end it's best to avoid all WiFi except there where you can't (on the Devialet D-Premier until you upgrade it to a 240! ;)) so this includes the direct connection between the two WiFi routers.

With the Cisco/Linksys routers you should be perfectly OK too.

NB. You're right about the newer Asus AC router (Asus RT-AC66U) but I deliberately chose the N-version at that time because it was longer around and it was reported more stable.

That is absolutely what I would do and in fact what I have done. My situation is exactly the same as yours: my DSL router/modem with built in switch is upstairs and my Devialet is downstairs. I have placed the Asus router downstairs close to the Devialet (at around 2 meters, in clear line of sight). A long ethernet cable runs through my house (invisible) and ceiling and connects the Asus router to my DSL router using a central gigabit switch also upstears. Of course I could connect the Asus directly to the built in switch (4 ports) of the DSL router but upstairs I require more than four ethernet ports so this explains the separate switch.

Stupid questions don't exist! :) In the end it's best to avoid all WiFi except there where you can't (on the Devialet D-Premier until you upgrade it to a 240! ;)) so this includes the direct connection between the two WiFi routers.

With the Cisco/Linksys routers you should be perfectly OK too.

NB. You're right about the newer Asus AC router (Asus RT-AC66U) but I deliberately chose the N-version at that time because it was longer around and it was reported more stable.

Thanks for the tip bud:)

I think I might have figured out why this Pink Noise (ssssshhhhhhh) happens and it seems I am now almost sure:)

I am playing my JRiver software on my PC through the iPad Mini, if I change the the wireless on my iPad Mini to 5 MHz instead of keeping it on 2.4 MHz this happens. Maybe because the Devialet is running on the 2.4 MHz network the JRiver controller on the iPad has to be on the same network too!!

I also had an old Apple AirPort Extreme with me, which I have kept downstairs next to the Devialet and it is wirelessly extended with my main router upstairs, signal so far is - 52 to - 54 dBm and things are looking much better!!

"On paper" is actually doesn't matter which device is on which network, frequency wise, as long as both are "tied up" to the same logical network which they almost always are. However the performance of simultaneous dual band (2.4+5GHz) communications depends on the implementation of the radio's and antenna's inside of your router. I have deliberately turned off 5GHz in my router and like I wrote earlier disabled the old B/G protocols too. Also "enhancements" like beamforming usually don't work or worsen stability especially when multiple devices are active. Since the Devialet is so sensitive for disruptions using Wi-Fi everything you can do to make/keep things as simple/straightforward/efficient as possible helps.

If you have a long cable lying around just plug it in the Airport Express downstairs and in the Linksys upstairs, I'm sure it'll improve even more.

"On paper" is actually doesn't matter which device is on which network, frequency wise, as long as both are "tied up" to the same logical network which they almost always are. However the performance of simultaneous dual band (2.4+5GHz) communications depends on the implementation of the radio's and antenna's inside of your router. I have deliberately turned off 5GHz in my router and like I wrote earlier disabled the old B/G protocols too. Also "enhancements" like beamforming usually don't work or worsen stability especially when multiple devices are active. Since the Devialet is so sensitive for disruptions using Wi-Fi everything you can do to make/keep things as simple/straightforward/efficient as possible helps.

If you have a long cable lying around just plug it in the Airport Express downstairs and in the Linksys upstairs, I'm sure it'll improve even more.

I stand wrong per my previous post, I still got the (sssshhhhh) noise again. As it stands it will play a few song and then it will disconnect, though the (ssssshhhhh) is happening a lot less. I am going out to grab some beers with my friends, this has been one week of torture. On sunday I am going to haul everything downstairs, cable modem, wireless router and computer and hook it up right next to the Devialet. If if works then I need to do something about the network, if it doesnt the 170 is there coming in and can try the Ethernet.

If on Sunday the damn thing dis-connects when I have it set right next to the Devialet, it doesnt work then there is something wrong with my unit. Its best to eliminate one thing at a time, though nothing has been sorted out this whole week............

I dont have such a long cable will invest in it if everything work out on Sunday!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing