Have you got "the" sound, and are stepping off major upgrading?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys and gals, another day, another thread. I'll be discussing this w/my esteemed colleagues RonR and Bonzo75 over a good steak this evening in London, but you're all invited (not to the steak meal, the discussion!).
It's tying together my threads on "spkr/amp synergy" and "equal parts frustration/elation" threads.
The last two weeks in my system have been a true revelation, a lot of disparate good sounds from various components coming together as a whole greater than the sum of it's parts, w/recent tweaks having a disproportionately large influence, to finally produce a sound which is everyday making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, chills on a regular basis, and critically, no desire/need for me to continually tweak w/sub bass settings, vtf etc.
So the amazing synergy of Nat SETs and x/overless and high eff Zu spkrs is maxxed out, w/Lundahl transformers and Duelund caps transforming things, and GIK panels taking the room out of the equation.
This is the VERY first time that I'm reluctant to try components up in the range that I'm currently using ie going to Nat Magnetostat batt pwrd linestage, and possibly Zu Audio Experiences (due to be shown at RMAF next month) spkrs, for fear of disturbing this synergy, and more critically because I REALLY DON'T NEED TO, and as such DONT WANT TO.
This is a weird sensation, because this hobby, like an awful lot of other high worth hobbies that lend themselves to constant experimentation and constant spending, means that the journey is never-ending even when you think it might be at any given upgrade. And for two decades that's very much what I have been doing.
At the start of the hobby in '97, I obv was confident my first choice (all-Roksan) was going to be my last - that feeling lasted all of 48 hrs when the kick to go somewhere else hit, and until the last 2 weeks that kick never ceased.
Now this is not to say that I'm done w/all spending - I have Furutech US sockets on order, and will install these, in due course onto dedicated lines, Spiers And Robertson air table for my tt is needed because I need to resite my tt and I do believe that for reasonable cost this is likely a radical upgrade, and Shun Mook Diamond Resonators under gear totally fascinates me, and I will try further, one component at a time.
Hell, I still like spending a little!
But this is more drip drip than big splurges and 180 turnarounds all the time.
So at the moment I feel the pressure is off re driven desire to go bigger and pricier on components, and other tweaks that I'm happy to leave as is (leaving current Sablon Gran Reserva cables/Entreq grounding and Westwick balanced power as is).
I've NEVER had this feeling where I can say I could genuinely step off now, and be totally content.

Now, this is not meant to be a smug or self satisfied thread that I've 'got' it right, more just casting for views on those who have achieved the same, and what your innermost emotions are like- I am equal part satisfied and elated/equal part confused - how strange!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think being contented and having good sound are two entirely different things. One can have good sound and be discontented, or vice versa. One has to do with the sound, the other with the person's mindset

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have what I consider to be great sound and am very contented. Upgraded my DAC a few weeks ago and am as happy as a clam. Where can you get a great steak in London. I usually eat a lot at Pret! Love that sparkling Ginger Beer. Will be back for a bit in February. Hope to get there in November too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joe, I'll let you know after tonight. Would love to meet with you if you have a few hours when you visit. Know a great place for ribs, run by Robert Plant's son. Highly recommended.
Re my place of happiness, the most significant thing is it's totally consistent for two weeks now, not ephemeral like some previous good stages I've achieved in the past.
Bonzo has correctly labelled me a gearhead (jostling for position w/musichead, and headcase :p), maybe i'm moving past this.
The first time my drive to component upgrade has minimised.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have what I consider to be great sound and am very contented. Upgraded my DAC a few weeks ago and am as happy as a clam. Where can you get a great steak in London. I usually eat a lot at Pret! Love that sparkling Ginger Beer. Will be back for a bit in February. Hope to get there in November too.

Best London places to eat -

1. Yashin, off high street kensington - best for carpaccio and sushi, apart from being my favorite restaurant is also rated 1 on Zagat
2. Barra Finna - awesome innovative Tapas cuisine
3. Cay Tre - not as good as the above two but great for Vietnamese, and much cheaper
4. Herron at Paddington for Thai, but stupidly spicy
5. Lot of places on edgware Road for good middle eastern lamb stuff
6. Lahore Kebab House/Tayyab's for Pakistani/Indian curries

For Brunch:
1. Shakshuka at Nopi's
2. Turkish eggs at Kopapa
3. Kedgeree at Wolseley

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My votes go to the Pembury pub in Hackney for the best real ale and pizza, Churchill pub in Notting Hill for real ale and Thai, Brew And Que in Dalston for American ales and the best ribs.
Anyhow, to the matter of this thread...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My votes go to the Pembury pub in Hackney for the best real ale and pizza, Churchill pub in Notting Hill for real ale and Thai, Brew And Que in Dalston for American ales and the best ribs.
Anyhow, to the matter of this thread...

Churchill cannot compare with Herron and another one in my backyard - Addie's Thai. Churchill is popular only because it is cheap in an expensive place. Talking purely from a Thai food perspective, not ale. Also herron and addie's Thai have northern thai food, which is more innovative and tastier than those common Thai curries

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Haha! I think this thread now holds the record for going off-topic within the least amount of posts! Well done! :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, I am totally delighted that, at long last, after two decades of equipment turnover and angst, you have found stability and contentment with your system! Congratulations!

Relax, sit back, listen to music and enjoy, liberated from doubt and the second-guessing of component choices! (Now just make sure you remain what I call a "contented" and don't allow the thrill-seeking devil to disturb your hard-won peace.)

To answer your question ever since I settled happily on Benz Ruby 2/Graham 2.2/VPI TNT Mk. IV and Aesthetix Io, VTL MB-750s, Martin-Logan Prodigys and Transparent cables around 1997 I have not changed a single component. So I have been a contented (at least in the realm of audio) for a very long time.

After 18 years of literally zero component changes I am now relishing my present journey of major upgrades to assemble the last system of my life. (I am even considering alternatives to the Neoliths which, for me, is heresy.)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think being contented and having good sound are two entirely different things. One can have good sound and be discontented, or vice versa. One has to do with the sound, the other with the person's mindset

I agree that these are independent variables.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just to get the thread back on track, as long as I am audiophile, I will never be contented. Same goes for all other forum addicts here. Yearn for your dream speaker, amp, room, whatever. The What If syndrome is what brings us here. To pretend otherwise is a waste of time and I would rather discuss restaurants

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Well you know my feeling on this, spirit, and it tallies pretty well with bonzo's last post. Of course, I also agree that satisfaction is a state of mind rather than a state of sonics, so maybe you have indeed reached some kind of nirvana. But without even knowing you I'd cheerfully wager that there'll come a day where you think "I wonder..."

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
And I had you down as a Berni Inn kinda guy bonzo!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAGsOryJJA[/video]

The Pembury must have evolved from the Primordial some since I was last there in 79 Marc.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are days when I listen and am completely content with what I hear. I'm not so sure however that this is due to the gear, because of it were I should be fully content all the time, which I'm not. I sometimes hear things that could be improved upon or not hear things that I feel should be there. In general however I am quite pleased with what I've assembled for quite a nominal price I might add, and the desire to leap forward to the next level has been reduced. Part of that is driven by financial restrictions, so I'm more on a path of fine-tuning and arriving at a point whereby I can say without hesitation that I'm pleased with what I've been able to put together. I really would like to get off the train and hope there are only a few more stops ahead.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
IMHO No card carrying audiophile is ever content, there is always wiggle room for that extra few % you know is there..and you swear its your last upgrade for ever!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO No card carrying audiophile is ever content, there is always wiggle room for that extra few % you know is there..and you swear its your last upgrade for ever!!!

The problem starts when people delude themselves into thinking they are what they are not. It is that gap that causes problems. It is funny that some on this forum think it is a good thing to say 'I am now only into music' or 'I am contented'. They should join the Gramophone records forum and attend live shows. This forum is for OCDed audiophiles

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The problem starts when people delude themselves into thinking they are what they are not. It is that gap that causes problems. It is funny that some on this forum think it is a good thing to say 'I am now only into music' or 'I am contented'. They should join the Gramophone records forum and attend live shows. This forum is for OCDed audiophiles

I'm guessing I should hand in my audiophile card.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm guessing I should hand in my audiophile card.

If you are collecting music and attending live shows without wanting to change gear, yes

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you are collecting music and attending live shows without wanting to change gear, yes
Tell you what. I'll ask Steve and/or Amir if they think I should leave. :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing