Heavyweight amplifier showdown- Boulder 2160 v Wavac HE 833 mkII

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Can i ask,
Have you heard / experienced a 3060?
I have heard the 3060, but not in my own home. To be fair, I have heard it at two different dealers-- my dealer and then another dealer. My dealer's system is similar to mine, in so far as we both use Wilson speakers. The 3060 is on a more expensive system all around. It certainly sounds better. We did listen to the 2060, 2160, and 3060 on his equipment. The 2160 is better than the 2060, but not 3 times better (I had a great opportunity on the 2060). It was more of an evolutionary improvement and I could be happy with either the 2160 or the 2060. To me the difference was not significant. The 3060 was a completely different experience. The 3060 created a very special moment. The music flowed, it was engaging, it found a way to have more nuance and boogie than the 2060 or the 2160, something that seemed impossible, because the 2000 series is spectacular. Did I love it? Yes. But it is not something I need to have-- in our world of having to make choices, I preferred to invest the difference in other areas (my family, retirement, other enterprises). But maybe one day I will buy the 3060 and if not, I will be happy with the 2060. If I were thinking of moving from the 2060 to the 2160, I would either improve my front end, if needed, or go to the 3060. My next audio purchase may be a better pre amp. but right now i am happy. and satisfied. I hope that helps.

And sorry to hear about your break in!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Jeff!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Gavin, my gear is 20' above ground level, accessed by tight spiral stairs.
It killed us getting stuff up there, esp the 120kg Stacore pallets NO LOL!

I salute (with a brick) any enterprising soul attempting to take it all back down.
Mine would be equally challenging to steal :)

Reactions: infinitely baffled

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I must confess to being a little distracted at the mo. Had an attempted break-in here two weeks ago, police currently investigating so i can't give the full (blooded) account i am just dying to....hopefully once charges are brought and convictions gained i can regale you all with the tale....

And the shootout?? Did you get the WAVAC yet?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Yes there was a fair amount of saluting 'round here. With a rounders bat

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good for you Gavin.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
And the shootout?? Did you get the WAVAC yet?
I've just chased them up.
There are two pairs out there, one is via a chap who is looking to take over Wavac distribution in the UK, and that has yet to materialise, while the other is a pre owned pair that Alain is following up on today. Currently they are up for sale on another website, unfortunately that is run by an individual who stiffed me over a used VPI TNT, so not someone I'm willing to deal with, if they do in fact own them

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ok the Wavacs are still available

We're aiming to combine the delivery chez gav of a replacement cartridge in about a fortnight
(I'm buying Shakti's Vdh Colibri Stradivarius as it's a better match for my Ikeda arm than my low compliance version)
with the Wavac 833 audition,
plus Alain wants to bring along FMA 108 x2 plus 245 pre, having just set them up for another client today, and been blown away by what he heard.

In light of Lloyd's experience i did question whether they have the scale for me, Alain agrees that a pair of 115's might be better, but there was no lack of scale or dynamics with the pair of diminutive 108's he experienced today

I'd be curious as to how the FMA 245 pre might pair with a Boulder power amp

One other thing to emerge from the conversation, apparently a bridged pair of the new Boulder 1160's may be as good as a 2160, will get more info in due course

Èdit
Having checked the prices, the 1160 is exactly half the 2160's price.
So hardly a 'hold the front page' scoop

Last edited:

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Have you had time to listen to the Wavac versus the Boulder? I’d love to hear your opinion!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No, Jlaz, been a bit overtaken by events recently, but i will keep you posted, i promise

Reactions: the sound of Tao

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great, Infinitely B...look forward to reading about your impressions. meanwhile, i do suspect that you will want to get serious drive out of the FMAs. I did not have a lot of time with them, and only heard them in my system, but i would say your speakers can absorb a LOT of high quality power if you wish...and given that you also use 4 DD18+'s stacked, I suspect effortless power is something your entire system enables you to enjoy. Like your existing 2060...which fuels it with super power.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think this thread has turned into vaporware territory.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think this thread has turned into vaporware territory.
I'm afraid i just have to take that one on the chin. Things haven't worked out the way i was intending.
After the attempted home invasion i had to re-prioritise my spending to address security.
By the time i was ready to come out to play again the Wavac 833's i had my eye on had been sold. Since then i have thought about this thread at least once a day, accompanied by feelings of shame and embarrassment at a publicly made promise not kept.
The Wavac 833's still hold the appeal of truly beautiful objects, and it is my intention to one day fulfill the promise of this thread, even if it means buying a pair just to make the comparison.
But in the meantime i am aiming for a Boulder 3060. And it's going to be a marathon, rather than a sprint
So my heartfelt apologies to you all
gav

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
InfinitelyB,

I did not sense any mal-intent here...and personally, given you knowledge with the Boulder 2060...I do have an instinct that the 3060 is spectacular. This is from having auditioned and nearly acquired the 2060 myself many years go, speaking with people who own and/or have heard the 3050 monos...and even just some casual listening to people who have recorded the 3050 monos. I am genuinely intrigued by just how awesome they are.

And speaking of power...i cannot imagine what a 3060 would do in your system!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you for your kind words, Lloyd. And the positive reception of others on this thread, it actually really means quite a lot to me
How are you getting along with your new Mephisto?
I've thought of you a few times recently as I've enjoyed some of the latest John Digweed mixes; i would passionately recommend 'Montreal' and 'Tokyo' ?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Cheers Chuck ?

May i ask for your impressions on the move up the chain?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
My impressions are that the 3060 achieves scale and clarity that no other amp (except the 3050s) I have heard approaches. I have connected it two different speakers -- Wilson XLF and YG Sonja XV -- and it did the same thing, getting greater scale and clarity, resetting my expectations for what those systems could achieve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing