Help! Lost Google Chrome!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes Vincent, it was totally gone! ...For the last six hours. And I tried to download it again, from your link, about a dozen times, and an unknown problem wouldn't allow it to download.
I checked all avenues and always end up nowhere.

I did a restore just few minutes ago...and it said that it didn't complete the process! ...I waited, waited, ...slowly things started to appear on my screen...had to fix few things...
It's just been few minutes right now, and I'm on Google Chrome, finally. This is the first time ever some' like that happened to me...very very annoying.
I'm not very good @ knowing what to do...the proof...it took me a long time navigating with IE with which is painful compared to G Chrome.

So far now it's back. Seems the restore helped.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Problems like that indicate a very unhealthy system Bob. A re-install of Windows or a new computer should be in your future :).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes Amir, I'm sure it is.

I asked here because members of Vincent and your's expertise might have experienced the same before...it could have been something simple.
So nobody ever lost his main browser in the past? ...Maybe with Windows 10 it would be safer, and healthier? :b

From the searches I did it can be many things, scary things, Edward Snowden, ...and best is to get rid of all viruses, malware, and uninstalled programs that weren't supposed to be there. We learn about the computer's world, as we learn about the audio world...it's part of the advancement art.

Suffice to say that I have never experienced that one before, I couldn't even reinstall it (I tried a dozen times), and something was very very wrong for sure and it wasn't my fault but just life itself with the few glitches that come with it occasionally.

My Mum said to me not long ago; life is a struggle. Lol, how can you be more right than that. :b
...Even when we think that we have everything going on for us just great; financial and physical and spiritual health and freedom...it is in those moments that we are most vulnerable.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have never heard of that specific problem. It points to pretty serious corruption of Windows system or hardware failure. Such things are much harder to debug than just start anew. Hence my advice.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Amir, if you google around you are going to find out that I'm not the only one reporting this issue with Google Chrome.
Who knows exactly why it's happening...but it is happening...no matter what...and who's fault it is I just don't know but it's a fact of life...just google around...you'll see.

Computers, the internet...all that stuff with all the bugs, the corrupted apps and people, the viruses, the malware, the security breaches, the anti this and that, the protection, the fees, the charges, the everything part of life we all go through once in a while...and that's just life; google chrome disappearance included. All that stuff is man-made...so we can't expect the perfect robots/machines...it is simply impossible.

The best part of humanity...is the outdoors...our real environment...I think. And nature is unforgiving sometimes...just like people...and with their machines.

:b

Also, anybody can click on something by accident...and it can have some strange consequences in the computer world.
Not that I think that I did but I know it happened before to me. It's like when it's better to not go to certain places in real life (like very wild parties with very strange people --- 'Eyes Wide Shut') but we dare because we're curious...it's just human nature...and every single day is a learning process.
The only true things that really count in life is...us, our surroundings, a clean and healthy planet, educated people with good hearts...and peace. :b

Anyway, today is good, since about 4:00 AM this morning...when I finally got back my favorite browser.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post here my newer issue:

On my laptop (Windows 8.1) the pad sometimes get frozen, and all the time I cannot zoom and scroll anymore.
I did check my settings: Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Mouse ==> "Device Settings"
Everything seems to be fine.

I just don't know...it used to work in the past...and probably wasn't working for a while but I just noticed today.
And before I download a new hardware program...I want to check here first.

Things aren't working like they used to...and sometimes it feels like the "weather" is not cooperating...way of speech.

Any of you here have experienced a non-operating pad from your laptop in the past, like no more scrolling, no more zooming, and the small pointing arrow freezing @ times?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I had some problems some time ago and found that the hard drive needed a good clean particularly of Windows update errors.
Using the Windows update FAQs and going to clean hard disk did the trick and prior to moving to Windows 10 I started doing that regularly.
I have an old Lenovo laptop which I keep fpr back up purposes running Windows XP and I perform the above every few weeks when I update it.
Not sure if that helps but you may like to give it a try.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have to keep installing and configuring the Synaptics (maker of touchpad) on my wife's Vaio to keep the touchpad from acting erratically. On my HP laptop, it completely disables my touchpad when it updates its drivers :(. Synaptics is the earliest pioneer in touchpads, being used in the very first laptop with such a control, the first Apple laptops. Incredible that 25 years later, they still can't put out reliable drivers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Barry,

I was ready to perform all type of tests and cleanups and downloads of possible fix programs...it was driving me nuts. ...Till I google (chrome) around, and stumbled into that video from the previous page (post #10), which addresses the issue corresponding to my particular case...Sony VAIO laptop with erratic touchpad.
I unplugged all USB devices and external gadgets...I pressed the power button and held it for 15 seconds, then released it. Then I pressed it back to power back my laptop, and I had to wait approximately couple minutes till it reboot itself and the screen came back slowly with all my logos...all together about a five minutes wait till full normal restoration.
Then I checked my touchpad...the pointing arrow, the scrolling feature, the zooming feature...all came back and now operates @ 100% just the way it supposed to be.

When I first started this thread it was about my total lost of my browser, google chrome...first time ever in my life!
I used the IE to ask questions on the internet...for about six hours! ...After six hours, on my own...no tips from the internet, I decided to proceed and did a restore point, one week before the problem started. I thought to myself since the major issue started roughly six hours prior...I had nothing to lose to do a restore...so it might clean up unnecessary programs or downloads, etc. ...And it worked...my google chrome browser was back.

This is only the world of computer...it has nothing of value compared to family and friends love.
Music and movies and computers and cars and houses and boats are toys, hobbies, passion, entertainment, files, jobs, bank accounts, social devices, communication tools, etc. but they don't approach the innocence of newborn human babies, our families and our dear friends with a heart, a mind (spirit) and a soul.
Because all material things are not the ones creating the sweet emotions, sweet music, sweet dreams inside us...the people, the artists, the humanity are.

Anyway, I'm glad that I got back google chrome and the touchpad's normal functionality...but I am much more happy to appreciate the people's true heart and soul. :b
That, nothing will ever replace. It is the most best important thing on this planet. ...Some of them people, most if not all, are right here, @ WBF. ...Computer experts, music lovers, ultra hi-end audiophiles, musicians, expert acousticians, technical experts in several categories, audio gear lovers, analog lovers, horn lovers, tube lovers, vinyl lovers, tape lovers, classical music lovers, multichannel music lovers, jazz music lovers, blues music lovers, world music lovers, cinema/movie lovers, experienced life people, lovely people, philosopher stones, all people with a restored soul...with a brand new vision every single day of life. ...The only way to fully advance in harmony/peace. ...And to evolve with true verve and essence.

When a friend is in difficulty we help him to restore his dignity and sense of value and autonomy. We cannot replace him by killing him and get someone else.
With computers it's the same...except that we can afford to kill the ones not cooperating and buy brand new ones.
I know...it goes deeper than that...but I just want to make a realistic point. ...War and Peace.

Today is a lovely day. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have to keep installing and configuring the Synaptics (maker of touchpad) on my wife's Vaio to keep the touchpad from acting erratically. On my HP laptop, it completely disables my touchpad when it updates its drivers :(. Synaptics is the earliest pioneer in touchpads, being used in the very first laptop with such a control, the first Apple laptops. Incredible that 25 years later, they still can't put out reliable drivers.

On my Sony VAIO laptop, the reboot worked (from that prior video on post #10); it "shook" the drivers with the "Synaptic" enough to get them straight again.
Something inside the laptop was taking a "nap"...it needed a good "snap-out-of-it" to wake it up and get back to active mode (straight life) again. ...Sort of speech. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have to mention this:

In my search for a solution about my erratic touchpad I also stumbled onto someone who recommended swiping a magnet over our touchpad, and in his case it worked!
So, I grabbed my strongest magnet from my fridge, the size of a quarter (US) and extremely powerful...I really mean that, and I did just that; swiped it over my rectangle touchpad.
But it did not work. :D ...Very true; I was that desperate to try anything. ...Now you know, and don't tell anyone that Bob did that. :b
Try the full reboot thing instead...as it did the trick for me. ...From post number 10.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob.
Thank you for your lovely post 13 - not the best number I guess but the content more than overcame that and an uplifting read just before retiring for the night.
Delighted to read that you cracked it..
I couldn't live without my computer but when they play up it really is frustrating, but it is comforting to read that even the pros like Amir have problems on occasions just like we amateurs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing