Help me fix my ethernet.. Switch vs filter? Deadline Monday

NigelB

Jan 2, 2023
www.reikiaudio.com
Okay whatever. I have been using fiber for years. You do you. Cheers. Total rubbish buy an iFi LPS and any phontom noise is gone. no more noice than any ethernet switch. If any...
If I was going to move to fiber (and I'm about to experiment), I think I'd keep an open mind about the relative merits of a switch. Some people (and I think @audiobomber may be one, not sure), do use fiber but the last link in the audio chain before the DAC is a switch for its galvanic isolation. So the fiber does most of the heavy lifting as a noise killer and the switch is there to sweep up any noise which the converters may or may not generate. The switch may prove completely redundant of course (and I know you've already made your mind up here!) but I have one on hand so can compare with and without. WIll report back, though not sure how long it will take me to complete the experimentation.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
If I was going to move to fiber (and I'm about to experiment), I think I'd keep an open mind about the relative merits of a switch. Some people (and I think @audiobomber may be one, not sure), do use fiber but the last link in the audio chain before the DAC is a switch for its galvanic isolation. So the fiber does most of the heavy lifting as a noise killer and the switch is there to sweep up any noise which the converters may or may not generate. The switch may prove completely redundant of course (and I know you've already made your mind up here!) but I have one on hand so can compare with and without. WIll report back, though not sure how long it will take me to complete the experimentation.
I must connect to my renderer via ethernet cable, as it does not have a fiber connection. My single-mode fiber cable and Finisar SFP are terminated by an EtherREGEN, then via ethernet to the DAC.

I know someone who has a Lumin X1 which does accept fiber. He is using fiber to an LHY SW-10 switch, with a Shunyata Sigma ethernet cable and Muon isolator rather than fiber for the final connection, because it sounds better.

Last edited:

NigelB

Jan 2, 2023
www.reikiaudio.com
I must connect to my renderer via ethernet cable, as it does not have a fiber connection. My single-mode fiber cable and Finisar SFP are terminated by an EtherREGEN, then via ethernet to the DAC.

I know someone who has a Lumin X1 which does accept fiber. He is using fiber to an LHY SW-10 switch, with a Shunyata Sigma ethernet cable and Muon isolator rather than fiber for the final connection, because it sounds better.
Thanks. It's hard to work out exactly why his preference might not be fiber as ears, system and room are all at play, but this aligns with the experiences I mentioned earlier.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Thanks. It's hard to work out exactly why his preference might not be fiber as ears, system and room are all at play, but this aligns with the experiences I mentioned earlier.
The difference in price for a fiber optic cable as the final link vs. a Shunyata Sigma/Muon Pro setup would be pretty daunting for some of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: NigelB

Republicoftexas69

Have fun. I moved my entire home to fiber 3 years ago. Never looked back. Could see no point in copper when our entire community is fiber from the main switch. Like I said we have a .5 copper termination in our audio chain, all 3 systems. All quality SFP and Cages, running on 115v.

Out.

Reactions: NigelB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing