Here we go...again...

I'd have to further the curriculum with "Conditioning" and "Art of the Hustle".

When I first met my wife, you would have thought I killed her best friend when I said this powercord cost $4k. Now... anything under $50k, she don't even bat an eye! Now THAT's "Conditioning"!

i'm going to need Renee to talk to Pam and set her straight before i order the MM7's.:)

somehow i doubt i can 'sneak' them in.

Last edited:
Hey Ki,

I know where you are coming from. I have all my shipments come to my business address as well.
I don't live to far from my business so the ups & fedex drivers know to bring everything to to my business first.
The problem I run into is... sometimes... is when friends come to visit & bring their wives. I tell the friend or he sees what is new & tells his wife then in turn tells my wife... always a concern so I try to tell the friend first so to avoid a uncomfortable explanation to the wife :mad:

We could start a new thread: the wife deception factor!

Until they figure it out of course... then when they see something come in, they fling their arms around you and go "Oh darling! How did you know I wanted a new diamond bracelet??"

My Ex collected fossils and mineral specimens. Worked every time. Brown box comes to the door... I get something too!

Until they figure it out of course... then when they see something come in, they fling their arms around you and go "Oh darling! How did you know I wanted a new diamond bracelet??"

My Ex collected fossils and mineral specimens. Worked every time. Brown box comes to the door... I get something too!

Yeah but if you ever had a flood, your home had a better foundation :)

"Oh darling! How did you know I wanted a new diamond bracelet??"

Hi Carol:

Thanks for that scary thought or should I say the reality check. I can't speak for your brother but you might be WBF's much needed balancing mentor for us Tapeheads having to face daily challenges of How to keep Peace at home (or how to keep the diamond bracelets out of the home) while pursuing much needed "cure" for the common disease of Tapephilia Nervosa... knowing well ...there's no such thing as the cure but only periodic remedies...

I am always straight-forward with my wife regarding how much I pay for my audio toys... i just don't disclose if its dollars or pesos!..and.. I always blame Ki!!!! :)

I am always straight-forward with my wife regarding how much I pay for my audio toys... i just don't disclose if its dollars or pesos!..and.. I always blame Ki!!!! :)

yeah... I bought my last converter in Euros.... sounded MUCH cheaper!

You guys crack me up.....:)

Hi Gary,

Nice to see you here.OT, FYI, I talked to Fred T about my deck and that deck with the time code option was mainly used for the film industry. Fred did not feel that the TC headstack was intended for critical playback or audiophile use. In fact he is going to sell that headstack and replace it.

regards,

Roger
Hi Roger,

Thanks for passing along the good information, I will store that in whats left to my memory bank.
I don't always have time to post but love to read all the great info on this site. The best I have signed on to.
Most all of the members are stand up guys, yourself included.

I blame Ki as well... The freaking tape decks are extremely hard to hide!!

My wife walks into my room & always says what is this, it's new... sometimes with stuff that's been in the system for years.
God bless her, she has put up with my act for 32 years.

Very agile response :cool:

Ki

Seriously, congrats :D

This came up last week on Canuck Audio Mart.....have no idea if this is a good value or if anyone here would be interested, but I thought I'd post it.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648991043-studer_a812_reel_recorder_mint/

Hi John:

Thanks for the link and - do we have another potential newbie tapehead in making from Toronto area? :)

As for the A812, I have a pretty good guess that the machine is an old CBC recorder that Eduardo (old Filmco and now the toronto-unique-surplus) would sell. It seems to be in good condition both cosmetically and operationally but his asking price is a bit high considering the A812 is considered to be in the bottom of the master recorder world just above the A810... Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hi John:

...Eduardo (old Flimco and now the toronto-unique-surplus)...
...the A820 is considered to be in the bottom of the master recorder world...

I remember Eduardo -- but I think you meant Filmco, haha ;)

You really know how to hurt a guy :p

Hi John:

Thanks for the link and - do we have another potential newbie tapehead in making from Toronto area? :)

As for the A812, I have a pretty good guess that the machine is an old CBC recorder that Eduardo (old Filmco and now the toronto-unique-surplus) would sell. It seems to be in good condition both cosmetically and operationally but his asking price is a bit high considering the A812 is considered to be in the bottom of the master recorder world just above the A810... Just my 2 cents.

Yes and I think he's been advertising this machine, without anyone biting, for quite some time.

Yes and I think he's been advertising this machine, without anyone biting, for quite some time.

I thought I saw an A810 for about $4500 the other day somewhere. These people must be on some good meds...

EDIT: Here it is..... Studer A810 eBay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing