Hi from the Jersey Shore

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hi,

My name is Russ and I live on the water at the Jersey Shore. First of all, there is more to New Jersey than is shown on MTV or Real Housewife of NJ, although I did formerly live in the same town, Franklin Lakes.

I have been a fan of audio since I helped my father build an Eico amp and an Eico FM tuner when I was 7 y/o, more than 50 years ago. I am the product of a very expensive divorce, where my high end 2 channel system was my ante in the first round of "strip poker" in which all of monetary and emotional holdings were stripped away from me as the game proceeded. Now, after 5 years of having my car system be my "reference" system, I am rebuilding slowly and with a very different mindset than was in place during the 35 year build up to my elaborate system and custom designed dedicated listening room.

I hope that while I am jealous of many of the gadgets that many of you own currently because my current system is quite modest, yet extremely satisfying, that I can share some of what I have learned during the past 40+ years in audio and from achieving my dream of researching, designing and spending a lot of time working with audio/visual immersive environments, most especially my former listening room.

Thanks for letting me into the clubhouse.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Welcome aboard.

Just remember with divorce, one rebuilds all aspects of one's life :) 'Taint easy but it takes time. I went through a two year period where my only music source was Walkman.

Russ,
Welcome. There are a bunch of cool people here and this is a friendly place. We always don't agree with each other, but things remain civil. Sorry to hear about your divorce and losing many of your prize possessions. Hopefully you will be able to rebuild.

Mark

Thanks for the clubhosue welcome

Thank you for your very warm and thoughtful comments during the past 24 hours. As many of you know, the appreciation of our hobby is frequently both intense and sequestered. While there is a fair amount of money around where I live, there are no good audio stores less than 90 minutes away, although at the 90-120 minute mark there are some of the best audio stores in the country.

Consequently, I do not have a number of people nearby with whom I can share my love of audio/visual experiences. This linked with my current compromised finances, makes it very hard to find people to share my A/V passions with, short of getting on a plane and reconnecting with old friends who are geographically distant.

I am excited that this forum will help fill that void and hopefully teach me while I share what I have learned during the past 45 years in audio.

Thanks again and especially to Steve and Marty.

russ

Russ

it must be at least 5-6 years since you were at my house. I still have the Valhalla speaker cables that I bought from you. Would love to reacquaint ourselves. I always love when Marty visits me for a few days because whenever he leaves my system always sounds a little bit better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing