High-end Speakers V Headphone - you kidding me....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I had a problem with aftermarket that was microphonic.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
While I fully appreciate my headphone rig (Audeze and headphone amp), it will never replace my speakers.

Listening to speakers is a much more visceral experience, much closer to a live musical event, than headphones.

Headphones do not: reproduce the physical impact of music interacting with my body (not just my ears), reproduce the type of ambient information that is part of very low frequencies, and does not create an image and soundstage that I perceive; between, behind, and beyond the edges of my sound room, that seems external to me, that my speaker system does.

I can listen to a good recording of a chamber ensemble, for example, where I can virtually 'see' the musicians, in a real acoustic space, at close to their actual size, where it seems like I can stand up and walk around among them. I have never experienced that with headphones.

Why would I only want to excite the teaspoon of air in my ears, when I can excite the 18,000 gallons of air in my room? Which do you think would have the most visceral impact?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
While I fully appreciate my headphone rig (Audeze and headphone amp), it will never replace my speakers.

Listening to speakers is a much more visceral experience, much closer to a live musical event, than headphones.

Headphones do not: reproduce the physical impact of music interacting with my body (not just my ears), reproduce the type of ambient information that is part of very low frequencies, and does not create an image and soundstage that I perceive; between, behind, and beyond the edges of my sound room, that seems external to me, that my speaker system does.

I can listen to a good recording of a chamber ensemble, for example, where I can virtually 'see' the musicians, in a real acoustic space, at close to their actual size, where it seems like I can stand up and walk around among them. I have never experienced that with headphones.

Why would I only want to excite the teaspoon of air in my ears, when I can excite the 18,000 gallons of air in my room? Which do you think would have the most visceral impact?
Couldn’t. Agree more. headphones are great but they just don’t sound like speakers.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Couldn’t. Agree more. headphones are great but they just don’t sound like speakers.
Agree - no matter how expensive/good the headphone setup is I can't get used to the lack of images/soundstage coming from where they do with my speakers and where the singers/musicians are at a live performance. I will never get used to the sound coming from the back of my head/between my ears.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A wicked combo
20210715_092902.jpg 20210625_103831.jpg

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Indeed...giving very serious consideration to 800S and tubed amp myself. Reading up voraciously and looking thru the 2nd hand ads worldwide...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I enjoy my headphones. But i miss the tactile sence of air compression you get with speakers. One of the most impressive systems I ever heard was a competition auto stereo. It turned your body into jello. It makes me wonder if the ultimate audio experience might not be had in a small pod. That, or a suit or blankets thrown over you like you wear for an Xray. Yet that suit vibrates to the music so you feel it, as well as hear it.

Rolling with that thought, how many of you have put in your ear plugs and opened up the volume on your Marshal 8x12. There is nothing like the pressure and power created by large diaphrams moving air. Headphone can not do that. Speakers can. A sealed pod like being in a car could do it even better.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Indeed...giving very serious consideration to 800S and tubed amp myself. Reading up voraciously and looking thru the 2nd hand ads worldwide...
You might want to enter the contest at headphones.com
I think they are running a contest to give away a pair of 800s.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I enjoy my headphones. But i miss the tactile sence of air compression you get with speakers. One of the most impressive systems I ever heard was a competition auto stereo. It turned your body into jello. It makes me wonder if the ultimate audio experience might not be had in a small pod. That, or a suit or blankets thrown over you like you wear for an Xray. Yet that suit vibrates to the music so you feel it, as well as hear it.

Rolling with that thought, how many of you have put in your ear plugs and opened up the volume on your Marshal 8x12. There is nothing like the pressure and power created by large diaphrams moving air. Headphone can not do that. Speakers can. A sealed pod like being in a car could do it even better.
You make good points.
Have you tried binaural? No conventional speaker even comes close.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is there any reason to get the the Stax sr 009 over sr 007a given there is about a $1300 price differential?

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You might want to enter the contest at headphones.com
I think they are running a contest to give away a pair of 800s.
Just missed it by 4 minutes! Thanks for thinking of me!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You make good points.
Have you tried binaural? No conventional speaker even comes close.
No. Have not hear binaural. I bet it very nice.
I only have ok headphone, AKG, and a Shiit tube headphone preamp. I like it and appreciate what a headphone can do. And even want better at some time.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is there any to get the the Stax sr 009 over sr 007a given there is about a $1300 price differential?
Interesting...I have been doing a lot of reading about headphones lately...still continue to zero in on the Sennheiser HD800S after much research (and it helps to have bought/owned 3-4 Sennheisers over the last many years).

...while reading, I came across an article that said Bob Katz (recording studio master fame) prefers the Stax 007 over the 009. Specifically, he likes the Stax and the Audeze LCD-4 (where he preferred the LCD-4 in a much-publicized shoot-out with the Focal Utopia.) Thought his preference of 007 over 009 was a factoid you might consider in all the various readings you may be doing.

On a totally separately note, I need 25 feet for the headphone cable if we go with an 800S...which means I need to buy one no matter what (not just for [more] 'upgrade-itis')...what are you using?

I am thinking there are a few options: in order of increasing expense Cardas, ALO, Cardas Clear, Stefan Audio Arts Endorphin...but for money and performance, I am thinking Moon Audio Black Dragon Premiums. Have you looked into this at all? Again, not really about swapping just for the sake of it...since I need 25', then I need to get one of these anyway...the cost of the Moon Audio is (I think) comparable to stock and is readily available. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for the info.
I am not a cable guy.
I would not be able to help you there.
I think you can make your own cable.
That would be fun.
I am still getting to know the 800s. When I do maybe I swap out cables then. It's funny you need 25' and I need one meter.

brudge

Jul 13, 2021
YOU KNOW, it may not represent 200.000 dollas worth of sound but it might just do the job for to night.

brudge

Jul 13, 2021
Head phones is gonna give you tinnitus.. That is a ring in your ear for ever - no cure no relief.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Thanks for the info.
I am not a cable guy.
I would not be able to help you there.
I think you can make your own cable.
That would be fun.
I am still getting to know the 800s. When I do maybe I swap out cables then. It's funny you need 25' and I need one meter.
Longer cables on some phones need an increase I. Wire gauge.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Longer cables on some phones need an increase I. Wire gauge.
Thank you...yes double the length, double the impedance...changes to bass control. Evaluating my options...TA adjusts each cable for length in their network box. Have also read great things about TA Ultra headphone cable from IanB...and then found his comments from 2020 elsewhere which were effusive!

Reactions: K3RMIT and Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing