History of Wadax.

Ehat would a measured .3 db gain at 1264 hertz tell you about what a DAC/Sever sound like.

The “.3 db” would tell me that the emphasize on this frequency is perceivable and the “1264 hertz” would tell me that it is in the lower midrange region, assuming the “.3 db” gain is relative from neutral at a fixed phase angle.

Last edited:
The “.3 db” would tell me that the emphasize on this frequency is perceivable and the “1264 hertz” would tell me that it is in the lower midbass region, assuming the “.3 db” gain is real I’ve from neutral at a fixed phase angle.
Wow! I didn't know the violin was considered a 'mid-bass' instrument. 1264Hz is about an octave above the pitch of the open E string.

The “.3 db” would tell me that the emphasize on this frequency is perceivable and the “1264 hertz” would tell me that it is in the lower midbass region, assuming the “.3 db” gain is real I’ve from neutral at a fixed phase angle.
You asked to see the frequency plot because you said this.

"I’m trying to interpret how phrases like “tonally right”, “like vinyl”, “organic rightness”, and other phrases used correlate to frequency response and harmonics."

How does a plot saying a .3db gain at 1264 help you understand Mikes description of the sound characteristics of a cable change.

Wow! I didn't know the violin was considered a 'mid-bass' instrument. 1264Hz is about an octave above the pitch of the open E string.
Please note I made up a completely fictitious frequency change. I don't know Mike ever used a Mic and frequency sweeps to measure a cable change. I was only making a number to ask a question on how a frequency change would translate into a better understanding of Natural or Tonality or Rightness.

You are correct. That was a type-o, which I have corrected. Classically up to 1500 Hz is considered lower-midrange and above 1500Hz is considered upper-midrange.

Please note I made up a completely fictitious frequency change. I don't know Mike ever used a Mic and frequency sweeps to measure a cable change. I was only making a number to ask a question on how a frequency change would translate into a better understanding of Natural or Tonality or Rightness.

Rex, for some reason you interpreted my posts as performing a frequency sweep and applying autocorrection with DSP. I never stated or implied either of those things in my responses. As a matter of fact, both the “Vitalizer” and “Disco Boom Box” processors that I referenced are manual “analog” processing devices, and not related to adaptive-response DSP in any way.

I was waiting for you to respond to my response with what affect does that “fictitious measurement” have on the overall sound. The answer to that question is “there is not enough information provided to make an educated derivation”. The only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from that “fictitious measurement” you provided would be if it was associated with the frequency response of the dac itself, which is what I assumed and provided my response based on.

Measurements of individual elements in the chain don’t mean much in the context of the overall sound as they are just a contributing element to the overall sound and unless they are dominant in significance will not provide an insight into the composite sound.

And that is precisely why the only thing that I focus on is the resultant composite sound and not the individual elements in the chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow
Rex when you spend let’s a car all options 90k
Last year car and the new 2025 model all options
is less expensive
A few things are very apparent
1 your car last year model is worth less unless there is tangible facts.
2 tangible evidence is scarce in audio as by its nature it’s an observation with conclusions based on that persons view
3 how to justify the new model in trading in for new.
What did you say?!!!

Al, I think that you are missing the point. While HQPLAYER has become more powerful and features-rich as the years have gone by and the software has matured, the overall results have not changed regarding its affects on the resultant sound; the only thing that has changed is that you now have more options and different implementations. The only thing that HQPLAYER or anything else can do is modify the frequency, amplitude and temporal characteristics of the sound. What HQPLAYER is capable of doing today is a different approach to addressing the issues with digital playback that have been around for years.

In other words, progression does not always mean advancement as some are attempting to fix problems that have already been solved. For instance, deep sounding or tight sounding bass notes? You could address this with ported or sealed subwoofers respectively until you find a solution that you like. DBX addressed this same question in the 1980’s with a studio processor called the “DISCO BOOM BOX”.
I truly understand your point on HQ player it is the only playback software that allows us to adjust to the recording method used
I can’t recall the types but after reading and using it’s drop downs it was obvious of its merits
As we talked what killed me is too many choices
I do wonder do other players pick for us.

Reactions: Carlos269
Rex, for some reason you interpreted my posts as performing a frequency sweep and applying autocorrection with DSP. I never stated or implied either of those things in my responses. As a matter of fact, both the “Vitalizer” and “Disco Boom Box” processors that I referenced are manual “analog” processing devices, and not related to adaptive-response DSP in any way.

I was waiting for you to respond to my response with what affect does that “fictitious measurement” have in the overall sound. The answer to that question is “there is not enough information provided to make an educated derivation”. The only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from that “fictitious measurement” you provided would be if it was associated with the frequency response of the dac itself, which is what I assumed and provided my response based on.

Measurements of individual elements in the chain don’t mean much in the context of the overall sound as they are just a contributing element to the overall sound and unless they are dominant in significance will not provide an insight into the composite sound.

And that is precisely why the only thing that I focus on is the resultant composite sound and not the individual elements in the chain.
You hit the nail on the head. I was not at all implying using DSP to correct anything as paragraph 1 states. I was questioning why you would even ask for a frequency sweep to try and understand Mikes description of sound. As per paragraph 3, I see looking at a frequency sweep as having little context. I did not understand why you were asking to see one? I take Mikes words at what he says.

And I want a new Macan S to cost less. I don't see why the hybrid quad electric drive with 550 hp don't cost less than the 2022 naturally asperated 6.

You hit the nail on the head. I was not at all implying using DSP to correct anything as paragraph 1 states. I was questioning why you would even ask for a frequency sweep to try and understand Mikes description of sound. As per paragraph 3, I see looking at a frequency sweep as having little context. I did not understand why you were asking to see one? I take Mikes words at what he says.

And I want a new Macan S to cost less. I don't see why the hybrid quad electric drive with 550 hp don't cost less than the 2022 naturally asperated 6.

Here is the problem Rex, I never asked for a frequency sweep. I was trying to correlate Mike’s “descriptive words” comments to something that comes more natural to me which is to speak in terms of frequencies and tonal balance. I like to speak with technical terms that speak to a region of the frequency spectrum rather than with vague terms subject to interpretation.

If you can find where I asked for frequency sweeps, by all means please post the quote.

Here is the problem Rex, I never asked for a frequency sweep. I was trying to correlate Mike’s “descriptive words” comments to something that comes more natural to me which is to speak in terms of frequencies and tonal balance. I like to speak with technical terms that speak to a region of the frequency spectrum rather than with vague terms subject to interpretation.

If you can find where I asked for frequency sweeps, by all means please post the quote.
Ok, you want to know how what you hear correlates to frequency and harmonics. I took that to mean you need to see a sweep to have something to look at. My mistake.

Boy have we crapped all over the history of Wadax thread.

Ok, you want to know how what you hear correlates to frequency and harmonics. I took that to mean you need to see a sweep to have something to look at. My mistake.

Boy have we crapped all over the history of Wadax thread.

I agree. The moderator should delete all non relevant posts, including this one and the others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing