Holo Audio May KTE Dac

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I was curious as to what all the fuss was about so I ordered one. I have had it for nearly two weeks now. May Kitsune Edition. I feed it from a Signature Rendu Optical streamer via a Stealth Audio USB-T Select V3 USB cable. Interconnects are Stealth Sakra V16 XLR.
Out of the box it was a little raw which isn't a surprise. I would listen for an hour but would feel stressed compared to how I feel when I listen to my Gryphon Kalliope DAC. I was actually worried that the May might embarrass the Kalliope. Not so far. With about 80 hours of play time on the May I still strongly prefer the Kalliope. I have been streaming to it for three days and nights now while I have been away. I think that will help. Or perhaps I just want to believe it. But for now while I am listening to the May I am missing the Kalliope. When I remove the cables from the May and plug them into the Kalliope it does not disappoint me. I hear a more well defined sound, effortless and musical with more substance. I am hoping more time will improve the May. I also have a PS Audio DSD which I took out of the system when the Kalliope arrived. I may give that another shot just to see how it compares to the May.

The May certainly is a fine DAC. I have a preference for NOS mode. I haven't tried DSD with it yet. It's a beautiful product, very well built.
(Yes I know the Gryphon is five times the price. Believe me, I know)
Hi aangen,

Give it a few more weeks of break in. It will relax some. Takes awhile for the caps to break in.

Never heard the Gryphon dac. Looks interesting.

Reactions: aangen

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
My May arrived yesterday. Out of the box it bested my Gustard slightly. 24 hours later it's sounding even better. Man it runs hot!

How do you guys deal with the different output for PCM 48k NOS (5.8Vrms XLR) and DSD 128x (2.9Vrms xlr)? I have a variety of resolutions on my Aurender and playlists. Every once in a while a song (evidently in PCM) comes on and is about twice as loud. Seems kinda weird?

Mar 11, 2020
My May arrived yesterday. Out of the box it bested my Gustard slightly. 24 hours later it's sounding even better. Man it runs hot!

How do you guys deal with the different output for PCM 48k NOS (5.8Vrms XLR) and DSD 128x (2.9Vrms xlr)? I have a variety of resolutions on my Aurender and playlists. Every once in a while a song (evidently in PCM) comes on and is about twice as loud. Seems kinda weird?
Unfortunately, DSD output is -6Db than PCM in the May. It would be nice if they could have been made the same or at least closer. I think most use the May set to NOS and send PCM and convert DSD to PCM, upsample and noise shape if you wish.

Mine runs 100F or 38C. Seems fine.

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Unfortunately, DSD output is -6Db than PCM in the May. It would be nice if they could have been made the same or at least closer. I think most use the May set to NOS and send PCM and convert DSD to PCM, upsample and noise shape if you wish.

Mine runs 100F or 38C. Seems fine.
So I have Redbook, 24/88, DSD, 24/96, 24/176 files. How do I randomly play them (NOS) at the same volume?

I’m not worried about the heat, but definitely glad I have a lot of space on my rack.

Mar 11, 2020
So I have Redbook, 24/88, DSD, 24/96, 24/176 files. How do I randomly play them (NOS) at the same volume?

I’m not worried about the heat, but definitely glad I have a lot of space on my rack.
Only way I know is remove DSD files from the mix.

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I've got about 500 hours on the May and it has definitely hit its stride.

One thing I noticed is that it will only play 88.2 files in OS mode (which definitely does not sound as good as OS when playing files that can be played either way). Is there anything I can do to get the 88.2 files to play in NOS?

Also, does the OS circuitry/chips benefit from burn-in or does burning in the DAC and power supply independent of ladder DAC or OS DACs suffice?

Update: I deleted the album from my Aurender playlist and reloaded it. It plays fine now in NOS (it is a FLAC file). Go figure.

Last edited:

b345t

May 10, 2020
I received my May kte on Monday and let it play music continuously for a few days before I had a listen. It was straight out of the factory and wanted to give it a few days to warm up. I am pretty sensitive to first reactions, I didn't want to listen straight out of the box.

Yesterday was my first listen -my previous dac was a chord tt2 so I will try my best to sum up what I am hearing in relation to that. The sound has quite a different character to that of the chord. I was a little confused at first. The music lost some low end that what I was used to. Not that it was weak in that department, just 'cleaner' somehow. It seems the chord has an extension that makes the low end 'warm' and not as focused I believe.

I felt that the soundstage was just as big. The May seems to be able to pinpoint sounds quite a bit better than the tt2. I was able to hear reflections of reverb that I simply wasn't hearing before or at the least the detail wasn't highlighted in the same way. There is a more focused stage. The sounds don't blend in to each other as much. I put on that new billie eilish song that she did for the bond movie, Too Young To Die. I noticed those reverb reflections again there.

Regarding the flow of music, I feel there is a big difference with the tt2. At first I was thinking that things seem to have slowed down in some way. One of my go to tracks to test natural dynamics and rhythmic energy is Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife. I don't choose electronic tracks here because I want that natural feel of a band playing tight. Its hard to describe in words, the tt2 seems to 'push' the music out, whereas the May lets things flow out much more relaxed. Its not slower, just more effortless which is what confused me in the first part of listening. The music seems to just be there, coming out of the darkness effortless. The tt2 was more like' go go go'.

I believe the treble is slightly smoother than the tt2. The tt2 seems to display slightly sharper transients, but possibly not in the most natural way? I am starting to understand what people mean by saying that the May is more analog sounding. I don't have a turntable -and never owned one, but have listened to some setups with one.

It is still in the early stages and am very intrigued to see if/how things will improve over the next coming weeks months. I DO prefer the music playing with the May over the tt2. The naturalness and ease of flow makes things much less fatiguing and enjoyable. This was my first listening, I'll do an update in a couple of weeks if I hear any significant change!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I received my May kte on Monday and let it play music continuously for a few days before I had a listen. It was straight out of the factory and wanted to give it a few days to warm up. I am pretty sensitive to first reactions, I didn't want to listen straight out of the box.

Yesterday was my first listen -my previous dac was a chord tt2 so I will try my best to sum up what I am hearing in relation to that. The sound has quite a different character to that of the chord. I was a little confused at first. The music lost some low end that what I was used to. Not that it was weak in that department, just 'cleaner' somehow. It seems the chord has an extension that makes the low end 'warm' and not as focused I believe.

I felt that the soundstage was just as big. The May seems to be able to pinpoint sounds quite a bit better than the tt2. I was able to hear reflections of reverb that I simply wasn't hearing before or at the least the detail wasn't highlighted in the same way. There is a more focused stage. The sounds don't blend in to each other as much. I put on that new billie eilish song that she did for the bond movie, Too Young To Die. I noticed those reverb reflections again there.

Regarding the flow of music, I feel there is a big difference with the tt2. At first I was thinking that things seem to have slowed down in some way. One of my go to tracks to test natural dynamics and rhythmic energy is Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife. I don't choose electronic tracks here because I want that natural feel of a band playing tight. Its hard to describe in words, the tt2 seems to 'push' the music out, whereas the May lets things flow out much more relaxed. Its not slower, just more effortless which is what confused me in the first part of listening. The music seems to just be there, coming out of the darkness effortless. The tt2 was more like' go go go'.

I believe the treble is slightly smoother than the tt2. The tt2 seems to display slightly sharper transients, but possibly not in the most natural way? I am starting to understand what people mean by saying that the May is more analog sounding. I don't have a turntable -and never owned one, but have listened to some setups with one.

It is still in the early stages and am very intrigued to see if/how things will improve over the next coming weeks months. I DO prefer the music playing with the May over the tt2. The naturalness and ease of flow makes things much less fatiguing and enjoyable. This was my first listening, I'll do an update in a couple of weeks if I hear any significant change!
I'm interested in your experience. My May KTE went through a few variations in sound over the 3 weeks of break in/burn in (well at least the first week, weeks 2 and 3 were mostly just continued improvement)

b345t

May 10, 2020
Quick update, almost on the 2nd week of listening.

I don't know what the rest are experiencing, but in my system, the May kte is Very sensitive to power chord changes and USB cables. I find using the May on an unfiltered power socket works the best.

The soundstage has gotten larger, particularly the height. Precision even better. Bass even tighter and more 'clean' weight. I'm starting to get deeply involved in the music playing. Low level listening has gotten very pleasing, MUCH more so than with the tt2. I could barely enjoy music at low volume using the tt2, with the May, it has a full, wonderful sound.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Quick update, almost on the 2nd week of listening.

I don't know what the rest are experiencing, but in my system, the May kte is Very sensitive to power chord changes and USB cables. I find using the May on an unfiltered power socket works the best.

The soundstage has gotten larger, particularly the height. Precision even better. Bass even tighter and more 'clean' weight. I'm starting to get deeply involved in the music playing. Low level listening has gotten very pleasing, MUCH more so than with the tt2. I could barely enjoy music at low volume using the tt2, with the May, it has a full, wonderful sound.
I have my May DAC plugged into a Hubbell hospital grade outlet on a 15A circuit dedicated for my front end components. I'm using a Triode Wire Labs cord and Intona USB cables through an Intona galvanic isolator. I have not experimented with different configurations--I wanted to get through the ups and down of burn in, which I think I passed about a week ago after 4 weeks of 24/7 operation (at least I don't get surprised now like I did early on with changes in the sonic signature).

b345t

May 10, 2020
I have my May DAC plugged into a Hubbell hospital grade outlet on a 15A circuit dedicated for my front end components. I'm using a Triode Wire Labs cord and Intona USB cables through an Intona galvanic isolator. I have not experimented with different configurations--I wanted to get through the ups and down of burn in, which I think I passed about a week ago after 4 weeks of 24/7 operation (at least I don't get surprised now like I did early on with changes in the sonic signature).
I agree with not changing things around till after the break-in. I recently got the Sablon usb and was doing some a/b last week with my AQ diamond. I was slightly preferring the AQ. Now its not even a competition, the sablon is like 5 steps up. Much better overall balance, realistic timbre, more 3-d, richer soundstage etc.

b345t

May 10, 2020
Update around 350 hours of break-in on the kte.

For me, the sound has completely changed from the first week. The detail retrieval, soundstage portrayal, texture/flesh produced by this dac is simply outstanding. The soundstage compared the tt2 is not even in the same league. Especially in the depth and width. I'm hearing everything from way behind, I look up to examine whats happening with the sound coming out of the speakers but then I realize, what speakers? The May has pulled a Houdini act and made them completely disappear.. Its honestly night and day in this regard compared to the Chord. Big big difference. Really deep and wide soundstage. The chord was very good, but this is just a no contest. Both in size and in precision.

The music has weight. It is so much more texutred and such ultra realism to each sound. I am rediscovering my collection and updating my library enthusiastically every day, it is really a joy listening to music coming out of this dac.

I would highly advise anyone wanting to test changes like usb/power cords to wait to at least 300 hours to start changing things around. The difference in my system was massive and is getting better every day.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is great! I am happy for you!

Later this year I likely will choose between the Holo May KTE and the Lampizator Baltic 3.

b345t

May 10, 2020
That is great! I am happy for you!

Later this year I likely will choose between the Holo May KTE and the Lampizator Baltic 3.

That sounds great, I can't comment about the Lampizator but the May is incredible in every way. Is there anyone who has compared the Baltic 3 to the May?

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Ron... Please include the SW1X in the shootout! The SW1X Balanced-3, the Baltic-3, and the Holo May. Chose the May simply since I did not have a chance to hear the other two.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

U_J

Mar 16, 2021
I've had the May KTE DAC for a few weeks and must simply say it's an amazingly natural sounding emotionally engaging and resolving piece of gear. I find no fault with it. It's the best DAC I've ever heard in 20+ years. It's transient response, inner detail, timbre, tonal colors, image specificity, micro and macrodynamics are simply spellbinding. I'll never buy a chip based DAC again. This is as quiet and as clean as the best measuring Dacs I've owned, but it's delivers a performance so close to the real thing it's quite startling and eerie. Guitars and other string instruments will blow your mind. Vocals are so naturally presented. Bass transients are incredible, and the highs are never fatiguing.

Immediacy, dynamics, detail retrieval, and all the while, being utterly natural and effortless.

A masterpiece of a dac.
Hi all, without rehashing what has already been said ( I think the quote above sums it up pretty well ), I have had my Holo May for 2 weeks now and the change in sound from out of the box until now defies logic , out of the box it was soulless, lacked bass etc, even after 50 hours where the sound was fuller but still very average but fast forward 2 weeks of solid running and I cannot imagine that the sound could get much better than this ! It is seriously like I have changed amplifiers , there is so much punch and fullness and crazy detail from my single ended 845 amps that I would swear I am running solid state like drive and power into my Wilson speakers. How is this even technically possible ?
I am at a loss to explain how a DAC can have this much effect, I previously ran an Auralic Vega and then an SMSL400 which both measure incredibly and sounded pretty fine and the Holo May blows them into the weeds, I am still a measurement guy but the SMSL400 sounds so congested and distorted in comparison to the Holo May which cannot be explained by measurements ( the SMSL400 ) is one of the best measuring DACs running at the moment.
That aside the air around instruments and voices the sweetness amd sheer holographic sound is something I thought could only be achieved by the best of analogue but the HoloMay has changed my mind. If it keeps improving to the same extent in the coming weeks I cannot imagine why you would need to spend the stratospheric prices for a DCS or similar , can they really be that much better ?

John

wh01sjongalt

Feb 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC, 27616
Hi all, without rehashing what has already been said ( I think the quote above sums it up pretty well ), I have had my Holo May for 2 weeks now and the change in sound from out of the box until now defies logic , out of the box it was soulless, lacked bass etc, even after 50 hours where the sound was fuller but still very average but fast forward 2 weeks of solid running and I cannot imagine that the sound could get much better than this ! It is seriously like I have changed amplifiers , there is so much punch and fullness and crazy detail from my single ended 845 amps that I would swear I am running solid state like drive and power into my Wilson speakers. How is this even technically possible ?
I am at a loss to explain how a DAC can have this much effect, I previously ran an Auralic Vega and then an SMSL400 which both measure incredibly and sounded pretty fine and the Holo May blows them into the weeds, I am still a measurement guy but the SMSL400 sounds so congested and distorted in comparison to the Holo May which cannot be explained by measurements ( the SMSL400 ) is one of the best measuring DACs running at the moment.
That aside the air around instruments and voices the sweetness amd sheer holographic sound is something I thought could only be achieved by the best of analogue but the HoloMay has changed my mind. If it keeps improving to the same extent in the coming weeks I cannot imagine why you would need to spend the stratospheric prices for a DCS or similar , can they really be that much better ?

Johnny
Hey Johnny, love the review. Without disparaging DCS, I will say a fine gentlemen that is very close to my best friend of both highend audio and life told me that this gentleman who can and does own anything he wants without regard to any price limitations owned an entire DCS stack and it sits collecting dust, my friend mentioned the May KTE DAC based on my unwavering enthusiasm and it didn't hurt several members in Audio Asylum Irc Chat also took the plunge confirming my emphatic assertions as well. This gentleman is completely amazed with the Holo May KTE DAC. He is absolutely smittened. Usually both this gentleman and I both take the advice of my best buddy who always nails it and is right on the money. It was an honor that I could recommend a piece like the May KTE DAC and get both him and this gentleman to validate what my gut already was screaming inside . Just a little context, the last time I visited him in CA he had not one pair, but two pairs of JBL Everests stacked inverted on top of each other with separate D to A for each driver and eight Bryston TOTL monoblocks powering the whole rig! It's bonkers. He can pretty much buy anything he wants and does. He's very sensible to diferentiate price from audible performance.
The grin on his and my buddy's face listening to the May KTE, was priceless.

My guru buddy has been pining and intrigued with the Legacy Whispers, and I got into open baffle design recently and was looking at options after hearing a great demo of a well known kit version. I ordered the Legacy Whispers 3 months ago without even any hesitations based on the number of times my buddy mentioned them over two decades. I received them this past Sunday, delivered by the owner, Bill Duddleston and Brice from Legacy both of which are a class act and he even upgraded me to the new Wavelet II preamp, DAC, 4-way active digital crossover, speaker correction, DSP Room correction, with dynamic psychoacoustics, and a new game changing feature called Omnio that literally one-ups the industry and I don't fully understand how it works, but
It's not a subtle improvement either. He also upgraded the midrange drivers to the new generation driver that he recently came out with. I had surgery today and I can't sleep really because I'm unable to use my bipap machine due to my nose having been operated on earlier and mouth breathing with sleep apnea is a real struggle, but I'm not complaining at all listening to these incredibly refined speakers with the May Dac KTE, which BTW even Bill Duddleston admitted had a naturalness that one ups the Wavelet II internal DAC, meaning the analog output is so good it literally shines through the ADC/DAC of the Wavelet II!

Sorry for the this long winded digression, but I'm just enthusiastic and had to ramble, and tell somebody. If you got this far, thanks. Have a good night/morning. ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_165449.jpg
    IMG_20210801_165449.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

U_J

Mar 16, 2021
Wow wh01sjongalt, thanks for the affirmation. I love your enthusiasm !

I must admit I was starting to despair that digital was never going to live up to the promise of many years ago but now I also have a new enthusiasm.

May I ask what sort of digital files you are using ? CD's ? Hi Rez ? Streaming ? I am intrigued because predominantly I play various Hi res files that I purchased through HD Tracks, a lot of reviewers are suggesting you need nothing more than CD quality when you use the Holo May because it is that good.

It has certainly lifted my Spotify to another level but it is anything but Hi Res but still sounds incredibly good through the Holo albeit lacking a bit of air so it does make me wonder whether a Tidal or Qubuz subscription may well be worth it now ? Your thoughts ?

Thanks
BTW I live in Australia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing