Horning Agalme Hybrid vs Tannoy Westminster Roayal

Nov 3, 2021
Fair enough and I get that. Probably the blend is more seamless because it is from paper and therefore whatever material colorations there are are uniform across the whole frequency spectrum because the woofers are also paper. The most coherent speakers I have heard in my life all had essentially the same materials for all drivers. That is also what I liked about the brand Zellaton...they had a very funky conical type tweeter that was made from the same strange silvery sandwich material. It was a very coherent and interesting sounding speaker. Their newer models use a different material now for the woofers and mids and to me now the magic is lost in those models.
Just goes to prove, simplicity is always the right path

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
THat's a lot for paper cone tweeters...To be honest I am not sure what yours sound like with the Scanspeak tweeters, so it is hard to judge for me what the possible improvement would be...Clearly he has voiced the speaker with this tweeter in mind. He is also quite dedicated to it, as it is used in all his products over many generations.

That said, I sometimes miss the amazingly realistic highs I get from my Odeon La Bohemes, which have solid wood high frequency horns and a compression driver with Ti diaphragm. That is why I am toying with the idea of replacing the tweeters with the Fostex supertweeters. I will only do so if it is a reverseable change...no major cabinet surgery...based on my estimations, it is a drop-in replacement but might be a dB or 2 too hot...so might need to add a resistor to bring it down a bit. However, at such high frequencies it might just add "air" and sparkle without sounding bright.
I know, that seems to me bit high.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Today we were listening Agalme with friend , they could not believe what they heard, their jaws droped on the floor. One guy said I do not need analog, and he is analog guy, that is for Bonzo.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Today we were listening Agalme with friend , they could not believe what they heard, their jaws droped on the floor. One guy said I do not need analog, and he is analog guy, that is for Bonzo.
What I find really interesting is how the bass units blend with the midrange for the lower mids and upper bass... Without passive crossover elements.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Today we had a little session, we listened TW and then Horning. Guys did not expect what sound T´Horning produced, they like TW very much, they said it creates the atmosfere which otehr speakers did not offer, about Hornings they were talking also in superlatives, they said instead of gouing to visit hifi show they would rather come to my house listen to these sets. :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Today we had a little session, we listened TW and then Horning. Guys did not expect what sound T´Horning produced, they like TW very much, they said it creates the atmosfere which otehr speakers did not offer, about Hornings they were talking also in superlatives, they said instead of gouing to visit hifi show they would rather come to my house listen to these sets. :)
Did they express a preference?

rob

Jul 11, 2012
I have Tannoy Westminster Royal speakers, I like their sound but they miss something what I hear from some other great speakers, perhaps more resolution, more spark. Alsou tehy require proper room, I have it, they are very sensitive to quality source, amps, cables. Now I am searching for the last piece preamp to complete my mission TWR to sing at their best. But it seems it will also be the most difficult task. Friend of mine suggested to purchase other speakers to compare them with Tannoy thinking that for the money I will spent for preamp I can get better results with diffrent speakers. my budget was up to 15000 euros. I was thinking about this idea and thought hmm, maybe so. I have spent 10 years with TW and maybe I should try something else to see if my taste of sound developed some other way, I do not listen as much to rock music, I listen all kind of music now, a lot of jazz, some classical and other style, even electronica, ofcourse old rock and progressive still remain in my list of the most favorites. It happened that I found these monsters top of the line of Horning hybrid system - Horning Agalme. Since I am a bit megaloman I thought that would fit my bill. ;) They are huge, tall 2m, deep 70cm, they have 12x bass 8inch Beyma speakers in the back in Horning hybrid set up and one tweeter and the baddest Lowther drivers of all PM65 in front. These speakers are exceptionaly revealing and transparent, especialy on classical music and jazz, excelent bass, incredible resolution. The problem is,it is not universal speaker, for some people that would not be acceptable, it does not play Black Sabbath a metal very well. ;) But people who listen classical, jazz,soft rock, progressive rock or even electronica are in the heaven with these, you can hardly find speakers to play this way. Speakers going very low 16_20000hz and the bass is very very tight even when producing the deepest notes, it is pleasure to listen acoustical music of any kind, so clear and real in the space nicely separated. 3D is also very very good. They are totaly diffrent then Tannoy WR of course so for me it is hard to get acustomed to that sound. I am not sure if I want to keep them since I listen all kind of music but they will behard to sell, they are tall 2m so they need bigger room. I forgot to mentionrest of the chain. The source is steraqming transport Pink Faun Ultra 2.16, dac Mola Tambaqui, Jorma aes ebu, going directly through Jorma Origo rca to Emirate SE-833 Challenge which create monstrous power of 80w per channel in single ended Class A and finyly through Jorma Prime speakers cables to TWR . When I applied the same system to Horning Agalme I found out that the sound is to thin for my taste,yes hugely transparent a nd resolving but it was to much for me and unlistenable when I compared them with my TWR, it misses the body of the instruments, it did not create the atmosfere like with my other speakers. It happend that I had NAT magnetic preamp on loan which I did not like very much with myTWR and I thoght to try it in this set up. Wow what a change with this preamp, suddenly the body of intruments got whatis required - the body,now I could listen to it. SoHorning also reveal the weakest ling in the chain. I heard these speakers in the seller s house with analog and I new something is wrong in my chain, could be Tamabaui as a preamp? Could be Tambaqui as dac sounding to thin? That let me thinking maybe I should try some other DAC like Aries Cerat HelenwúKassandra or Lampizator Pacific, maybe Horning would get fuller sound and that is what I think they need. Any thought, advices, experiences?
You could try adding the Tannoy super tweeter the the Westminster.
It will add a bit more high frequency energy and give more sparkle to the tonal balance. Makes the Westminster sound cleaner with a bit more snap to leading edge transients. Helps with the bass too.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
You could try adding the Tannoy super tweeter the the Westminster.
It will add a bit more high frequency energy and give more sparkle to the tonal balance. Makes the Westminster sound cleaner with a bit more snap to leading edge transients. Helps with the bass too.
I have them. Dont take me wrong, I love TW sound, I know why I have them, they create atmosfere which no other sspeaker can do, at least what I have had chance to listen. But no speaker is universal, I believe even the best speakers uthere have their streanghts and some weaknesses

Reactions: PavelDosko

Ssti845

Jul 19, 2021
Regarding the remarks on the sound of the Agalme. firstly the sound is describing the first edition of Agalme, now the speaker is in its fourth improved generation and is on a comepletely another level than these very old Agalme. now is the whole bassection changed and uses now a much more powerfull basdriver hwich gives a extremely different deep and powerfull bas wich is comepleeting the midrange to perform with much more correct fullness. The midrange has no longer a notch filter and is now cometely free from any filtering up to 12000 Hz where the special conetweeter takes over. the cone tweeter is the only one which has no spider and therefore working with much more ease than all other conetweeters made to day. furthermore is it working with 2.1 tesla power which is much more than any other known tweeter, the efficiency is 99db one watt which is blending with
the new agalmes 103 db one watt which is fare more than a 15 inch and 18 inch driver which is only reaching 96 db normal. But the bassection in the Agalme is now way more controlled than any other 15-18 inch woofer and goes deeper/ the stop and start speed is much faster and therefore blending with ease with the midrange without the big promblems regarding speed you find with blending big woofers with compressions drivers where it is so easely to detect. the 2023/24 Agalma will easely display heavey metal it it is the case as well as all other music genre, no doubth about it.

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Regarding the remarks on the sound of the Agalme. firstly the sound is describing the first edition of Agalme, now the speaker is in its fourth improved generation and is on a comepletely another level than these very old Agalme. now is the whole bassection changed and uses now a much more powerfull basdriver hwich gives a extremely different deep and powerfull bas wich is comepleeting the midrange to perform with much more correct fullness. The midrange has no longer a notch filter and is now cometely free from any filtering up to 12000 Hz where the special conetweeter takes over. the cone tweeter is the only one which has no spider and therefore working with much more ease than all other conetweeters made to day. furthermore is it working with 2.1 tesla power which is much more than any other known tweeter, the efficiency is 99db one watt which is blending with
the new agalmes 103 db one watt which is fare more than a 15 inch and 18 inch driver which is only reaching 96 db normal. But the bassection in the Agalme is now way more controlled than any other 15-18 inch woofer and goes deeper/ the stop and start speed is much faster and therefore blending with ease with the midrange without the big promblems regarding speed you find with blending big woofers with compressions drivers where it is so easely to detect. the 2023/24 Agalma will easely display heavey metal it it is the case as well as all other music genre, no doubth about it.
Given the Lowther is only about 97-98 dB, I don’t see how the new speaker version can be 103 dB sensitivity.

Ssti845

Jul 19, 2021
Given the Lowther is only about 97-98 dB, I don’t see how the new speaker version can be 103 dB sensitivity.
you did no read it right it is the bass section not the midrange, the frequency balance is doe after Ortofons paper

tespen

Dec 19, 2023
Bornholm
I have owned all the Agalme models and my experience is that the latest version is sonically the best by far. It is also the easiest to operate.as the bass system is more efficient.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have owned all the Agalme models and my experience is that the latest version is sonically the best by far. It is also the easiest to operate.as the bass system is more efficient.
I have Eufrodite Ellipse III and find they work well with 3.5 watts of 2A3 SET power.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing