Hot Pressings

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
will do!

by the way, physical media..CD, SACD, SHM CD, DVD, and Blu Ray are huge here.

i went to a massive, I mean huge, 5 story Tower Records and another local chain, and people were buying music right and left and checking out
listening stations.

i pawed several hard to find Platinum SHM discs with lust..Steve Winwood's Arc Of A Diver, etc...the bins were deep with every classic rock, soul, blues, and jazz artist you can name. Even the most obscure.

just pawned ... you've got amazing self-control Andre ... if it were me, I'd go for broke ...

Hope you enjoy your trip, esp the food.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
will do!

by the way, physical media..CD, SACD, SHM CD, DVD, and Blu Ray are huge here.

i went to a massive, I mean huge, 5 story Tower Records and another local chain, and people were buying music right and left and checking out
listening stations.

i pawed several hard to find Platinum SHM discs with lust..Steve Winwood's Arc Of A Diver, etc...the bins were deep with every classic rock, soul, blues, and jazz artist you can name. Even the most obscure.

I've all of his solo stuff on vinyl...super-huge fan. What's the pricing like in comparison for the SHM-CD/SACD's

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've all of his solo stuff on vinyl...super-huge fan. What's the pricing like in comparison for the SHM-CD/SACD's

I believe the Winwood Platinum SHM disc was around 55 yen...about 50 bucks. I saw regular SHM CDs for around 35 yen. Regular CDs ranged from 12 yen to 20 yen.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I believe the Winwood Platinum SHM disc was around 55 yen...about 50 bucks. I saw regular SHM CDs for around 35 yen. Regular CDs ranged from 12 yen to 20 yen.

Thanks for that! For some reason I thought it would be a bit cheaper.

Enjoy your time there my friend! :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you REALLY want to put your determination to test, go to the 7-floor Disk Union shop. I dare you leave that place empty handed :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Well, the MK2 DP was classic, but time moves on ... and while Richie creates ferry music, Morse recreates DP.

Personally, while I consider Blackmore a guitar god, I also consider Morse to be the more consistent, better/tighter all round player (and certainly much more professional).

Agreed, I really like Morse, have most of his stuff, it just didn't work for me with DP.

Yeah, always the voice of reason within this fighting band ... in my mind only one person has the chops to replace him, Don Airy (who played with RB Rainbow).

Speaking of ELP (I witnessed and even met 'em (couldn't believe how physically small they were) a very long time ago ... I recently witnessed Carl Palmer (solo) in a small local pub. As a powerful a drummer as ever, although I was so disappointed he didn't play Tank.

I met Keith at NAMM one year and had the same thought, he looked like a jockey.

And YOU SUCK!!!! on the Carl Palmer in a small club :)

Consider yourself lucky, because I've heard countless stories of people witnessing many poor MK2 performances in which Richie became intolerable. Same could be said for Van Halen, I saw them for the first time a few years ago, sitting in a seat next to me was a gentleman who was on his 5th VH tour. About a minute into the concert, he whispered to me that I was in for a treat that night. After the concert, I ask him about that comment, and he assured me that they could be either great, or downright awefull, depending on Ed's moods.

Everybody was deep in the pocket that night, RB behaved.

Still have an original LP pressing ... but like many bands of my youth, for some reason, they/it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as they once did.

tb1

This one never gets old for me, I have the original Mobil Fidelity issue.

And I suck at multi quote.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
once with Colin James, twice solo ... and once opened for Jeff Healey (who graciously invited Stevie to play on his set). the 5th time was not a charm, as I missed him opening for Robert Plant even though I had tickets (shoulder operation).

Died @35, what a waste ... much like Randy Rhoads.

I'm so lucky to have lived in a vibrant musical city.

Very unfortunate I discovered SRV after he passed. I have so many favorite pickers but if I had to pick "ONE" it would be him.

I watch his videos relentlessly, moves me every time.

Its also why I almost came unglued at the last audio society meeting. The mouth piece stood in the room conducting the orchestra till the side ended, Tin Pan Alley comes on and its time to run his hole about his favorite format.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Smoke Sessions, Vol 1

image.jpg

I've been a big fan of the CDs for musical and recording quality. This sampler 200 gm pressing with an impeccable gatefold jacket is superb. I have 455/500, so supplies are limited. A great introduction to the label and hopefully the first of many.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wasn't all that enamored with the AP 33.3 and for the ridiculous $60 USD pricepoint of this, plus the simply outrageous shipping charges to Canada from them, I'll stick with my original Pink Label Island pressing. Nothing has beat that yet!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I wasn't all that enamored with the AP 33.3 and for the ridiculous $60 USD pricepoint of this, plus the simply outrageous shipping charges to Canada from them, I'll stick with my original Pink Label Island pressing. Nothing has beat that yet!

+1

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'll stick with my original Pink Label Island pressing. Nothing has beat that yet!

well until you hear the 45, you will never know. I don't have a Pink Island to compare, but knowing how close this new 45 rpm sounds to tape, I would put my money on the 45 beating the Pink island original.

david.m

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I wasn't all that enamored with the AP 33.3 and for the ridiculous $60 USD pricepoint of this
I have the AP33 as well and this 45 is quite a bit better imo, a feeling of more headroom at the dynamic extremes (I've always felt the 33 sounds like it's on the edge of distortion when Stevens' vocals get loud) and what I really notice on my system is a virtual absence of excessive sibilance that I get on the AP33. The AP45 really is sublime, $60 isn't cheap but on par with the ORG45's (& I've had a number of non-fill issues with those ORG's, return postage isn't cheap from Australia :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Been playing this one a lot. The vinyl is definitely worth buying because it is a different mix/master - and far better sonically to the digital (including high-rez) versions. The 12" x 12" book that comes with the LP is also far nicer than the little 4.5" x 4.5" booklet that comes with the CD.

View attachment 14297

Finally picked this up a few days ago. Outstanding! Whisper quiet vinyl and superb sonics.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
With the collected experience here, may be we can all share what we know to be the best sound in vinyl or digital formats for some great performances/albums that we have.

I'll start with the following:

1) One of my favorite live rock performances is Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water Live in Japan - one of the first few albums I bought. I used to be in a rock band when I was in high school (junior college) in Singapore, and Smoke on the Water was one of our signature pieces. I've got the first pressing of Live in Japan and a number of re-issues, but I've always been mildly disappointed with the sound. Some are better than others, but the absolute best sonically is on the Collectors Edition Deep Purple Mark 2 Purple Singles pressed on clear purple vinyl. The excitement of the audience is palpable, and I get goosebumps every time I listen to this LOUD.

If you ever get a chance, compare the original Austrian version. (C18893915/916)
http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Made-In-Japan/release/5805605

2015-06-21 14.26.54.jpg

The album cover looks to have been laminated, it's peeling.

The CD (2701) is the "A 2-record set on 1 specially-priced Compact Disc." version which came out 1990, post the original 89 (Canadian) release, found it in a local grocery store $2 bin. Where and why I found that LP, is a story I could never tell here :cool:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
One of my all-time-favourite Live albums was recorded in 1966 in the Copa Room of the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. Holding no more than 500 people, it was an intimate venue. Guests sat close ringside - and the sound was exemplary. The Copa hosted many, many of the biggest names in showbiz, including Lena Horne, Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich, Tallulah Bankhead, Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole.

This particular album features Frank Sinatra, the Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones. It was Sinatra's first live album to be released, and what a corker it is!! Featuring most of Sinatra's most recognizable tunes, the music is fabulous and the sound is fantastic. With Count Basie at the piano, this is an album that has a swing that will get your foot tapping. Quincy Jones as conductor keeps the flow while allowing every performer to feature. Sweets Edison on trumpet has numerous solos that sometimes startle, sometimes caress your ears.

Unfortunately for the music collector, the popularity of this album makes it difficult to find a good copy. There were a huge number of pressings in 1966 when the album was released. Most of these have been played so often that they aren't in good condition. The Mobile Fidelity re-mastered reissue is not IMHO worth the $250 that most sellers are asking for. One of my friends put it best when we did a quick comparison between a 1966 first press and the MoFi. "Listening to the first press is like looking through a dirty window at Frank Sinatra and Count Basie jiving. Listening to the MoFi is like looking through a pristinely clean window, but you are looking at a colorized B&W movie of Frank and the Count performing. NOT the same!!"

The best issues to look for is the original 1966 first press gatefold - these have the white bars on the top and bottom, and there is no WEA logo on the record label. The DVD-A is also a very good buy for those without a turntable. Nevertheless, there is a very good reason to get the LP even if you don't own a turntable - the album won the Grammy for Best Album Notes in 1966. Here's a sample:

For a man so accustomed to appearing before the public, walking on stage this night at The Sands should have caused no more apprehension than you feel walking into your own living room.

Yet Sinatra prepared for this appearance with deliberate ritual. He tends his voice with care. He takes a steam in the late afternoon. He lays off cigarettes. Before going on stage, he works out with his accompanist, Bill Miller, for a half hour. He slips into his tailored tux, still warm from a valet's iron.

All during dinner, the audience-on-a-fling has been trying to catch the eye of the preoccupied staff, trying to flag down a captain. At the next table, a big man asks if a $10 bill would get him a better table. Scurrying by, the captain sighs "$10,000 couldn't get him a better seat." Or, as Dean Martin's fond of saying, "It's Frank's world. We're just lucky to be living in it."

The room has that peculiar air about it that only successful clubs have: a combination of cigarette smoke, overheated air, smouldering dust, Lysol Clorox cleaned linen, even the silverware smells different from home silverware. "The crowd" jams every available seat. Two thousand knees with nowhere to go.

Sinatra At The Sands.jpg

Reactions: jgfergus

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
One of my all-time-favourite Live albums was recorded in 1966 in the Copa Room of the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. Holding no more than 500 people, it was an intimate venue. Guests sat close ringside - and the sound was exemplary. The Copa hosted many, many of the biggest names in showbiz, including Lena Horne, Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich, Tallulah Bankhead, Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole.

This particular album features Frank Sinatra, the Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones. It was Sinatra's first live album to be released, and what a corker it is!! Featuring most of Sinatra's most recognizable tunes, the music is fabulous and the sound is fantastic. With Count Basie at the piano, this is an album that has a swing that will get your foot tapping. Quincy Jones as conductor keeps the flow while allowing every performer to feature. Sweets Edison on trumpet has numerous solos that sometimes startle, sometimes caress your ears.

Unfortunately for the music collector, the popularity of this album makes it difficult to find a good copy. There were a huge number of pressings in 1966 when the album was released. Most of these have been played so often that they aren't in good condition. The Mobile Fidelity re-mastered reissue is not IMHO worth the $250 that most sellers are asking for. One of my friends put it best when we did a quick comparison between a 1966 first press and the MoFi. "Listening to the first press is like looking through a dirty window at Frank Sinatra and Count Basie jiving. Listening to the MoFi is like looking through a pristinely clean window, but you are looking at a colorized B&W movie of Frank and the Count performing. NOT the same!!"

The best issues to look for is the original 1966 first press gatefold - these have the white bars on the top and bottom, and there is no WEA logo on the record label. The DVD-A is also a very good buy for those without a turntable. Nevertheless, there is a very good reason to get the LP even if you don't own a turntable - the album won the Grammy for Best Album Notes in 1966. Here's a sample:

View attachment 21415

Great music and one of my all time favorites too, even on CD! Agree 100% regarding the pressings.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing