Hot Pressings

Lol, thanks for the nomination Johnny, but you need someone who has a big collection of cd's & actively buys audiophile and high quality recordings, both of which I don't. My whole focus at this stage is on finishing my system :)

I can surely appreciate that!

However, although this is mostly a vinyl-centric thread it is not the exclusive domain of audiophile recordings. I've posted several domestic pressings that I think are outstanding recordings and easily found at your local dealer or online. In fact, I'll add another right now.

Hall & Oates - Abandoned Lunchonette

Outstanding domestic pressing, althought the MOFI is probably better. Still, it's an album well worth owning if one doesn't have the reissue.

"Mr. Lucky" by Buddy DeFranco on Pablo. Nothing groundbreaking; just a great swinging session.

41GN5EHZEZL._SX300_.jpg

...an original series of jazz recordings by Buddy DeFranco made on January 5 and 6, 1981 at Blue Marble Studios in New York. The group performing includes: Buddy DeFranco on clarinet, Joe Cohn on guitar, Albert Dailey on piano (for music historians, this is one of Albert Dailey's last recordings before his death), George D'Jvivier on bass, and Ronnie Bedford on drums. The selections are standards, such as "Mr. Lucky," "Bye,Bye Blackbird," "Mar Descancado (The Calm Sea)," "In A Sentimental Mood," "Your Smile," "Close Enough For Love," "Danielle," "Lolita's Theme." For those interested in Buddy DeFranco and jazz clarinet, this is a perfect listening experience again and again. DeFranco at his best.

Now for something completely different...The Bee Gees "1st", Polydor (UK), 582082, 1967, mono

810qjEwW1QL._SL1425_.jpg

At the time of this release, the brothers Gibb were still less than twenty years old, yet the group had been professionals for nearly a decade. Includes hits "Holiday", "New York Mining Disaster 1941" and "To Love Somebody". If you only know the group via Saturday Night Fever, you are missing out on this baroque pop gem with Beatlesque influences. Although lacking the last bit of bass extension, this is a beautiful mono pressing with gorgeous mid range. Groooovy album cover art.

Miles Davis "Seven Steps To Heaven", Columbia, CL 2051 (mono, 2 eye)

8214948.jpg

I own a WLP and the sound is exquisite. The mono absolutely smokes the stereo for ambience and tonal textures. Miles never played a ballad better and the nucleus of his next great band is heard. Tony Williams shines and his kit is extremely well recorded. Along with the Blackhawk LPs, my favorite Miles recording of the 1960's. Great liner notes by Leonard Feather.

From George Harris' review:
It's easy to pigeonhole this '63 Miles Davis recording as a "transition" period between his classic quintets, but one thing is quite clear: Miles was always in transition. Each Davis band was going through a musical or personnel metamorphosis, so we might as well simply take the music on its own terms and forget about the historical context. On that standard alone, Seven Steps to Heaven is an absolute gem.

Recorded in two locations, Miles, Ron Carter, and George Coleman hooked up with the "Los Angeles" quintet, featuring Victor Feldman (piano) and Frank Butler (drums), for a set of dreamy, moody and ultra hip versions of songs not usually associated with '60s modal music. On "Basin Street Blues" and "Baby Won't You Please Come Home," Miles, armed with his mute, is spellbinding as he squeezes notes for all of their glorious agony. His interpretation of "I Fall in Love Too Easily" makes Chet Baker's version seem insouciant by comparison.

Relocating three thousand miles to New York with Herbie Hancock (piano) and Tony Williams (drums) taking over, the quintet was on its way to become the standard by which all subsequent bands would be measured. Introducing two future classics, Miles and company tear through "Joshua" and "Seven Steps to Heaven" and set the world on notice: life in the music world would never be the same again.

If you've only heard of Miles because of Kind of Blue, this would be a great next step.

Track Listing: Basin Street Blues; Seven Steps to Heaven; I Fall in Love Too Easily; So Near, So Far; Baby Won't You Please Come Home; Joshua; So Near, So Far; Summer Night.

Personnel: Miles Davis: trumpet; George Coleman: tenor saxophone; Herbie Hancock, Victor Feldman: piano; Ron Carter: bass; Tony Williams, Frank Butler: drums.

8214948.jpg

I own a WLP and the sound is exquisite. The mono absolutely smokes the stereo for ambience and tonal textures. Miles never played a ballad better and the nucleus of his next great band is heard. Tony Williams shines and his kit is extremely well recorded. Along with the Blackhawk LPs, my favorite Miles recording of the 1960's. Great liner notes by Leonard Feather.

++++1.;)

8214948.jpg

Thanks for the reminder...I have the reissued mono from record store day and stereo 45 rpm, I just snagged a sealed original mono 1st issue for $60 on the bay.

Pepper Adams "Urban Dreams", Palo Alto Jazz, 1981

image.jpg

Pepper Adams is one of my favorite bari players. I recently listened to this LP with my favorite baritone player (OK he's my son :D) and our conversation went like this:

Me: Man does he play fast. Can you play that fast?
Son: Oh, I can play that fast but no way I can improv that fast!

From Allmusic review by Scott Yanow:
It is a real pity that this session from baritonist Pepper Adams was for a now-defunct label for it is one of his best recordings. Adams, accompanied quite tastefully by pianist Jimmy Rowles, bassist George Mraz and drummer Billy Hart, sticks primarily to straightahead material and he often roars through such songs as "Dexter Rides Again," "Three Little Words" and "Pent Up House"; the ballad "Time On My Hands" and his title cut are fine change of paces.

I have a promo copy and this LP is exceptionally well recorded.

Last edited:
Lyn Stanley: Lost in Romance & Potions from the 50's

On the one hand, I don't want to talk about it because I don't want Lyn Stanley to be demo'ed in every single room at every single up-coming audio show and I end up hating the sound of her voice. Yet, on the other hand, this is much too wonderful music, and she is too good a performer for her albums to languish on the shelves because no one has ever heard of her.

When I read a review of her album where Michael Fremer gave her a 11 out of 11 for sonics, I was a bit skeptical. But, it was mastered by Bernie Grundman, and it was 45rpm on two 180gm discs. So, I bought a copy to demo at the show. It turned out that Lost in Romance is the real deal. Having the performer in real life singing along with her vinyl certainly helps to confirm that it's a good recording!! It sounds enough like her to fool many of us in the room.

Yes, I am biased, because I did get to put my arms around her.

Lyn & Gary.jpg

And I scored pressing serial number 3 (among 4 other copies).

number 3.jpg

But, her next album is going to be even better! We listened to the master tape, and on the couple of occasions, she stepped up and sang along with herself. As a testimony to how good the album is going to be, she sounded exactly the same un-mic'ed and un-amplified standing there singing with her recording. I'll post a YouTube video as soon as I have enough bandwidth.

She is taking pre-orders for her next album - jump in quick to get low serial numbers. When the California Audio Show started, she was on #23 of her pre-order list. By the end of the show, she was already up to over 150. She sold every single copy of vinyl she brought with her to my room.

http://lynstanley.com/

Thanks to Ki Choi for bringing this machine on VERY short notice to play her master tapes.

Nagra.jpg

I heard song samples of the Lyn Stanley LP and its a conundrum of sorts. her phrasing and arrangements are 'odd' in comparison to the way I'm used to hearing those songs (standards) at the same time I'm a sucker for well-recorded material. At the end of the day i'll prolly cave in, I hope its something I can stand playing more than a few times.

Rob,

If you are a 'purist', then yes, her arrangements may sound a little 'odd'. She had different people arrange each song for her - from Bill Cunliffe to Tamir Handelman. Her mastertape sessions on Saturday and Sunday were wonderful insights into the mind of an artist. Personally, I love the different phrasings and arrangements. For the same reason I love listening to different conductors and orchestra performing Classical music, I love the variety different singers and musicians bring to 'standards'.

Rob,

If you are a 'purist', then yes, her arrangements may sound a little 'odd'. She had different people arrange each song for her - from Bill Cunliffe to Tamir Handelman. Her mastertape sessions on Saturday and Sunday were wonderful insights into the mind of an artist. Personally, I love the different phrasings and arrangements. For the same reason I love listening to different conductors and orchestra performing Classical music, I love the variety different singers and musicians bring to 'standards'.

I agree 100%. I may not like every single different interpretation of a "standard", but a great song has a flexibility built into it which allows for taking it into other directions. And many times with great success. The other thing is hearing that interpretation LIVE. One may not appreciate it from whatever audio source you're inclined to listen to it, but hearing the artist do the "alternative" in a Live setting can change your perspective.

My $0.02

Rob,

Personally, I love the different phrasings and arrangements. For the same reason I love listening to different conductors and orchestra performing Classical music, I love the variety different singers and musicians bring to 'standards'.

I would say that most of us feel the same way. It's the Music component of our hobby. Arrangements and delivery can vary which is a joy. Diane Schurr, Cassandra Wilson,Diana Krall, Madeleine Peyroux, Claire Martin will all bring there own take. Course if old school is your bag give Catherine Russell a listen.

I heard song samples of the Lyn Stanley LP and its a conundrum of sorts. her phrasing and arrangements are 'odd' in comparison to the way I'm used to hearing those songs (standards) at the same time I'm a sucker for well-recorded material. At the end of the day i'll prolly cave in, I hope its something I can stand playing more than a few times.

I agree with the above quote. When I read the Garylkoh review I went to order the lp but then realized I already had purchased it when Fremer reviewed it. It was just a forgettable album but it is well recorded and if I give a few more listens I may warm up to the interpretations. Stanley is no Nina Simone (try Nina Simone at Town Hall for a really excellent jazz female vocal lp although with not great sonics - the mono is better than the stereo). That is an album I listen to over and over again.

Way cool Gary! Thanks for sharing.

I have this album but hate the sonics - the acoustic bass does not sound right to me. Sounds pinched and unnatural. <shrug>

J.J. Johnson & Al Grey "Things Are Getting Better All The Time"

112001281.jpg

Another fun set on Pablo with the contrasting styles of the two lead trombone players. Ray Brown must have slipped the engineer a $20; he's exceptionally well recorded. Can be had for $20 on Ebay/Discogs.

On the one hand, I don't want to talk about it because I don't want Lyn Stanley to be demo'ed in every single room at every single up-coming audio show and I end up hating the sound of her voice. Yet, on the other hand, this is much too wonderful music, and she is too good a performer for her albums to languish on the shelves because no one has ever heard of her.

When I read a review of her album where Michael Fremer gave her a 11 out of 11 for sonics, I was a bit skeptical. But, it was mastered by Bernie Grundman, and it was 45rpm on two 180gm discs. So, I bought a copy to demo at the show. It turned out that Lost in Romance is the real deal. Having the performer in real life singing along with her vinyl certainly helps to confirm that it's a good recording!! It sounds enough like her to fool many of us in the room.

Yes, I am biased, because I did get to put my arms around her.

View attachment 16894

And I scored pressing serial number 3 (among 4 other copies).

View attachment 16895

But, her next album is going to be even better! We listened to the master tape, and on the couple of occasions, she stepped up and sang along with herself. As a testimony to how good the album is going to be, she sounded exactly the same un-mic'ed and un-amplified standing there singing with her recording. I'll post a YouTube video as soon as I have enough bandwidth.

She is taking pre-orders for her next album - jump in quick to get low serial numbers. When the California Audio Show started, she was on #23 of her pre-order list. By the end of the show, she was already up to over 150. She sold every single copy of vinyl she brought with her to my room.

http://lynstanley.com/

Thanks to Ki Choi for bringing this machine on VERY short notice to play her master tapes.

View attachment 16898

This is a wonderful album...6 stars on my 5 star scale. :eek: Great interpretation and execution of classic jazz standards, fantastic back up band. A new female vocal reference on my system. Sounds like tape...great pressing/mix.

This is a wonderful album...6 stars on my 5 star scale. :eek: Great interpretation and execution of classic jazz standards, fantastic back up band. A new female vocal reference on my system. Sounds like tape...great pressing/mix.

I assume you mean the 2nd album 'Potions'? If so, I agree.

Another one that I found to be great is Anne Bisson's latest "Tales From The Treetops".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing