Hot Pressings

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Sometimes, someone comes up to you and tells you to "impress me". What the heck is that? A music system shows subtlety, emotion and feeling. But when dynamics is called for - drums are usually the answer.

The most impressive drumming might be Japanese Taiko performance - originally festival folk-art elevated to an art form. The most impressive band to perform is Ondekoza - members whom reside and play together in a lifestyle where the principle is "running and drumming as one". In their US debut, the group ran the Boston Marathon, ran up on stage and performed their set. When they did their concert tour of China, they ran from city to city - running the 12,500 km on foot.

This album was recorded and pressed by JVC. Extremely rare, but an excellent record of their work.

View attachment 15329

ONDEKOZA to me are the BEST Taiko drummers I've ever heard...

In the past week, this has become available in the US and elsewhere in the world;

https://www.discogs.com/Ondekoza-Collection/release/9437233
Elusive Disc in the US has the set, don't know of any others. Various offers are out there for Japan/APAC sellers as well as in Europe.

It's a set of 6 SACD remasters of some of Ondekoza's finest works!!!

The XRCD (various levels), K2HD and HQCD releases of some of the albums that are available are few and far between, rare to obtain and sound great but having listened through all 6 SACDs in this set in the last few days I am very impressed and happy that I grabbed them.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
doesn't get much better sounding than this, in a retro synth way

AIR French Band ?– Moon Safari - original 1997 French pressing. I remember buying this when it first came out after hearing Sexy Boy - so retro synth, so sexy , so good. truly innovative band using recycled synths and sounds in a unique French way. It's been 6 years since Music for Museums, so hopefully some new music out soon.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I enjoy that album too

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

AIR French Band ?– Moon Safari - original 1997 French pressing. I remember buying this when it first came out after hearing Sexy Boy - so retro synth, so sexy , so good. truly innovative band using recycled synths and sounds in a unique French way. It's been 6 years since Music for Museums, so hopefully some new music out soon.

This one is also killer

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

PhonoDac2704

Oct 31, 2020

Very beautiful

Reactions: XV-1

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral. the most dynamic rock album ever released? Yes, pretty close.
Closer sound fuuccken insane with virtually zero distortion in the recording as does the rest of the album
. so loud the meters never do this.

7KGdduH.jpg

NbUnfss.jpg

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
In the late 80s when it was first released as a CD, Clair Marlo's Let It Go album on Sheffield Lab was quite popular in this city. After this came the LP version. Sheffield did not do this on D2D, and they had both digital and analogue of this. The CD was great, but the LP was not, imo. The LP was kinda flat sounding and had much sibilants spitting out of Clair's voice, which does not show up on the CD. In 2003, CISCO Records released another pressing of this, and what I was hoping to be in terms of sound quality became a reality. This pressing is more dynamic, has a better 3D sense of space, and best of all, the sibilants are reduced to very very low levels. She's quite popular over here, and both versions of her album is now OOP and very much in demand.
I just preordered this. Hope it will be the best version of all, Phil.

Clair Marlo Let It Go Hand-Numbered Limited Edition One-Step 180g 45rpm 2LP

Reactions: mtemur and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I just preordered this. Hope it will be the best version of all, Phil.

Clair Marlo Let It Go Hand-Numbered Limited Edition One-Step 180g 45rpm 2LP

You WILL love this new version. We managed to find the original direct-to-tape masters, and had Bernie Grundman master from those original tapes. The reference lacquers we got from Bernie was far better than all 3 previous versions.

We did a comparison at the recent Bangkok hifi show - all 3 versions against the reference lacquers. The 1989 180gm version, the 1989 120gm version and the CISCO version.

I'll be getting the test pressings on standard vinyl soon..... and the test pressings on VR900 premium vinyl probably next month.

Our own @JackD201 will be the distributor for the Philippines. So no need to buy this on-line.

• Wow
Reactions: MikeHorns and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You WILL love this new version. We managed to find the original direct-to-tape masters, and had Bernie Grundman master from those original tapes. The reference lacquers we got from Bernie was far better than all 3 previous versions.

We did a comparison at the recent Bangkok hifi show - all 3 versions against the reference lacquers. The 1989 180gm version, the 1989 120gm version and the CISCO version.

I'll be getting the test pressings on standard vinyl soon..... and the test pressings on VR900 premium vinyl probably next month.

Our own JackD will be the distributor for the Philippines. So no need to buy this on-line.
Awesome report, Gary.

Reactions: garylkoh

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Never heard of her or this album. How is it?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The club
Never heard of her or this album. How is it?
The album was produced by Sheffield lab in the late 80s, at first as CD and later on in vinyl. It was a hit back then and garnered many fans in the audiophile world. It was subsequently released again and remastered by Doug Sax on the CISCO label , and now, this project initiated by Gary. It should be excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing