How Good a CD Transport is Required to Sound Better than Streaming?

Esoteric-CD.jpg
There seems to be a fairly solid consensus (Lucasz Ficus, LL21, Al M, etc.) that CD playback or computer file playback, or perhaps both, sound better than streaming (assuming, of course, that all other variables, including the DAC, are held constant).

But I assume that one cannot assume that any device that can spin a CD necessarily will achieve better sound quality than will streaming.

So how good a CD transport does one need to achieve CD playback which sounds better than streaming? Where do the lines (rising sound quality of better transport and streaming sound quality) cross?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wisnon
If the server beats the transport after copying a CD its DAC ( if using same dac) Input related , favoring one input type over the other..!
I've seen this debated elsewhere in some long threads, including some dealer input. I would summarize the consensus as something like this: CD played directly 100% base; same ripped CD 95%; same streamed CD 70-85%. Obviously system component variations, etc, will impact results.

I recommended a good frd of mine to buy the PS Audio sacd transport.

Both his Denafrips Terminator Plus 12th Anniv DAC and LAiV Harmony DAC have I2S input with adjustable pin assignment.

Playing sacd with native dsd signal transmission & decoding is so enjoyable!
:cool:

IMG_20240612_090246.jpg

I’m not sure it’s quite that straightforward. Firstly. IME, the rips using the dedicated Innuos CD ripper were significantly superior to those created on a PC running dBPoweramp. I put that down to the inferior, noisy drive on the PC and very poor power supply.
Then there’s the avoidance of passing files through the network. A good thing if you’re running a regular consumer grade network with no optimisation. BUT…the network provides an ideal opportunity to clean and optimise the file coming from the hard drive, which are usually fairly noisy devices with poor quality power supplies for audio applications. In my experience a fully optimised network will sonically blow away any directly connected drive. Direct connection negates one of the major advantages with streaming, namely the ability to dramatically improve the quality of the music file’s physical layer that’s delivered to the DAC.
… yes, but that was not the question, the question was, whether CD Transport into DAC or ripped CDs from a HD into DAC is better as source and the consensus seems to be, that even the most basic rip of a CD - as long as it`s a perfect rip - is better than „any“ CDT. That was the startung point, so ripping a CD via dBPoweramp to a perfect rip as WAV using a simple computer disc drive and saving it on an imac 4 example will sound as good as or better than any CDT spinning the disc… the reasons are obvious why the rip would better… then it`s another question, if from THAT startingpoint it is possible to still further improve the source, by using a dedicated ripper (Innuos) and improving the SQ by optimizing the ethernet etc…. but that`s a different topic.

Both his Denafrips Terminator Plus 12th Anniv DAC and LAiV Harmony DAC have I2S input with adjustable pin assignment.

View attachment 132604
Nice gear stack! For the sake of clarity though the LAiV Harmony DAC internally is an R2R PCM DAC, so when fed DSD it is first converted to PCM before conversion to analog. So a DSD signal it is not being converted natively.

… yes, but that was not the question, the question was, whether CD Transport into DAC or ripped CDs from a HD into DAC is better as source and the consensus seems to be, that even the most basic rip of a CD - as long as it`s a perfect rip - is better than „any“ CDT. That was the startung point, so ripping a CD via dBPoweramp to a perfect rip as WAV using a simple computer disc drive and saving it on an imac 4 example will sound as good as or better than any CDT spinning the disc…

Which consensus? I've heard lots of computer audio that has this typical synthetic, artificial sound signature that I am allergic to. Most physical CD playback beats that, and it gets even better with reclocker between transport and DAC.

There is great computer audio. Just this weekend I heard streaming at Steve Williams' house which sounded fantastic and very natural. But that was with a Taiko Extreme server and Taiko switches, which cost quite a bit of money.

Reactions: GSOphile and facten
Which consensus? I've heard lots of computer audio that has this typical synthetic, artificial sound signature that I am allergic to. Most physical CD playback beats that, and it gets even better with reclocker between transport and DAC.

There is great computer audio. Just this weekend I heard streaming at Steve Williams' house which sounded fantastic and very natural. But that was with a Taiko Extreme server and Taiko switches, which cost quite a bit of money.
… I was referring to the video with Lucas from Lampizator - that’s how I understood his statement … also it’s what most people confirm… for me personally - still not made a decision whether it’s worth time and money investing in digital because I play vinyl 90% of the time…

Reactions: Al M.

View attachment 132604
How does the Harmony Laiv Dac compare to the Denafrips and the La Scala?

How does the Harmony Laiv Dac compare to the Denafrips and the La Scala?
Excellent performance even being used for only less than 10 days.
On par with the Terminator Plus 12th Anniv version.
Harmony is more musical whereas TPlus got better hifi factors.
In simple words : a great product with great sound & CP ratio.

Reactions: MRJAZZ
Excellent performance even being used for only less than 10 days.
On par with the Terminator Plus 12th Anniv version.
Harmony is more musical whereas TPlus got better hifi factors.
In simple words : a great product with great sound & CP ratio.
Any comparison with the La Scala?

… I was referring to the video with Lucas from Lampizator - that’s how I understood his statement … also it’s what most people confirm… for me personally - still not made a decision whether it’s worth time and money investing in digital because I play vinyl 90% of the time…
I have spent many enjoyable hours at Steve's place, and indeed, he has one of, if not the best, digital front ends I have heard. That said, one need not go to the extreme to get a good way toward that level and achieve a digital sound that will please nearly any analog enthusiast.

For example, a Lumin streamer, model U-2, a Lampizator Posidean, and a USB cable from Final Touch Audio will get you most of the way there. Don't quote me, but that well-considered solution costs $31,500. It is not cheap, but it offers an awesome amount of digital goodness and convenience you will never tire of.

As a close collaborator of Fred and Rob at Lampizator NA (we show together with WestminsterLab), I have ordered a Posidean for my personal use. For me, the best sound in Munich was another reasonably priced system using the Posidean as the source. Lukaz has simply knocked it out of the park with the baby Horizon!

Last edited:
Ron, yesterday, I spent the day at a good customer's home with the following system:

Von Scheikert updated VR-9 loudspeakers with the latest Foundation bass amplifiers
WestminsterLab Rei mono amplifiers
EAR 912 preamplifier
Lampizator Posidean DAC
Jays Audio CDT-3 CD transp[ort

This was the first time I had heard his system with Jay's Audio transport, and since he does not stream, I cannot compare. However, it was the finest CD replay I have heard and significantly outperformed my Heed top-line Thesis CD transport, which is an excellent performer. Build quality is superb.

Since it's Father's Day, I'm ordering one!

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 15
Ron, yesterday, I spent the day at a good customer's home with the following system:

Von Scheikert updated VR-9 loudspeakers with the latest Foundation bass amplifiers
WestminsterLab Rei mono amplifiers
EAR 912 preamplifier
Lampizator Posidean DAC
Jays Audio CDT-3 CD transp[ort

This was the first time I had heard his system with Jay's Audio transport, and since he does not stream, I cannot compare. However, it was the finest CD replay I have heard and significantly outperformed my Heed top-line Thesis CD transport, which is an excellent performer. Build quality is superb.

Since it's Father's Day, I'm ordering one!
You will not be disappointed with the Jays CDT ,I have mine feeding my Pacific using shunyata omega AES cable with the bone clamp
built like a tank.

A few days ago I sold my Metronome Le Player 3 because I wasn't completely satisfied with all my CDs. My Old Resolution Opus 21 audio was nicer with most CDs.

I tested the Cantata 3.0 a month ago but unfortunately it wasn't as good as expected for the price (12,000 euros now!) so i was told that jay's audio cd transport are good but...is it good with all cd or only audiophile cds ?

A few days ago I sold my Metronome Le Player 3 because I wasn't completely satisfied with all my CDs. My Old Resolution Opus 21 audio was nicer with most CDs.

I tested the Cantata 3.0 a month ago but unfortunately it wasn't as good as expected for the price (12,000 euros now!) so i was told that jay's audio cd transport are good but...is it good with all cd or only audiophile cds ?
… what did you not like about Metronome (it’s ok my list)…. also been thinking about leaving CDs completely and buying an Antipodes… still unsure which way to go…

It is good with all cds & can read dual layer Sacds that have cd layers.

From what I read, the Cantata 3.0 is a lot more than just a CD transport; it is a player and then some. I suspect that what you heard was mostly the character of the DAC built into this unit.

Métronome LP3 was a good drive with lot of details but my old resolution opus 21 have lot of details with better sound quality and more low end. Poor cd was awful in LP3 , the same cd was less awful in the Opus 21. Good CD were a bit better with the LP3. For me , metronome LP3 was a bit over priced (5000 euros)for the sound quality but customer service and build quality are excellent !
( I have put the same cd in both drive, the metronome was connect in opus 21 spdif input with a Synergy research euphoria.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing