Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, skids929!

Please keep us closely posted!

Reactions: skids929

FMaximus

Dec 17, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Just ordered the Discrete with the Pro USB...Plan on getting the extra PS supply soon after I take delivery and settle in with it. I auditioned alot of DACs, coming close to just keeping the Rockna Wavelight DAC. Hopefully the Discrete out does it the Rockna.

Either way, this should prove to be a long term DAC that meets the sound playback I prefer. Smooth, neutral, detailed. I will report back to let everyone know my thoughts on it, with 1 and 2 power supplies as well.
Hi,
I’m looking to replace my Auralic Vega G2 with a Discrete plus the extra power supply. I’d be really interested in your thoughts on the MSB!
cheers

Last edited:

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hi,
I’m looking to replace my Auralic Vega G2 with a Discrete plus the extra power supply. I’d be really interested in your thoughts on the MSB!
cheers
Sorry just seeing this...I love the Discrete with the 2 power supplies. It's a end game DAC for sure, it can be the last dac you own. Smooth, detailed, transient response is incredible (speakers will impact this as well). All I can say is I haven't listened to any recording that sounds bad with this DAC. I would say get a listen if you can.

FMaximus

Dec 17, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Sorry just seeing this...I love the Discrete with the 2 power supplies. It's a end game DAC for sure, it can be the last dac you own. Smooth, detailed, transient response is incredible (speakers will impact this as well). All I can say is I haven't listened to any recording that sounds bad with this DAC. I would say get a listen if you can.
Thanks, can’t get a demo here in NZ but i do trust the local supplier fully (he imports against orders versus holding stock). I will start saving my pennies

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Thanks, can’t get a demo here in NZ but i do trust the local supplier fully (he imports against orders versus holding stock). I will start saving my pennies

I don't regret the money I spent in my discrete, and I had to save for it, these things don't come easy. Being an audiophile I feel like I have a DAC I don't need to swap out for something else out of curiosity to how it sounds. Unless I upgrade to a Premier or Reference. ...Someday maybe, for now I have no complaints about my source.

Reactions: FMaximus

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have any of you had occasion to compare directly the MSB Discrete to the Lampizator Baltic-3?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have a Discrete arriving Monday for a 1-2 wk demo, but no easy way to compare to the Lampi. Still, I have a high level of anticipation :)

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I have a Discrete arriving Monday for a 1-2 wk demo, but no easy way to compare to the Lampi. Still, I have a high level of anticipation :)

Hope you have some money saved you won't want to give it back. Both power supplies or just one?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hope you have some money saved you won't want to give it back. Both power supplies or just one?
Probably just one, although it is coming in 3 separate boxes so I'll see... If I end up buying it, I'm fairly sure I would get a second PS as well

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Probably just one, although it is coming in 3 separate boxes so I'll see... If I end up buying it, I'm fairly sure I would get a second PS as well
the second power supply makes a profound difference. report back with your thoughts.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
the second power supply makes a profound difference. report back with your thoughts.

I have to second that you really, REALLY need the 2nd power supply.
You won't get a good idea with just one PS.

Reactions: skids929 and KeithR

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Whats your take on the difference between the Premier/Powerbase and Discrete with 2 supplies? Worth the upgrade or go straight to the reference?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Whats your take on the difference between the Premier/Powerbase and Discrete with 2 supplies? Worth the upgrade or go straight to the reference?
Well, obviously if you have the means to go for a Reference, that's the best DAC.

But the final decision needs to take into the consideration the system in which the DAC will go into.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Well, obviously if you have the means to go for a Reference, that's the best DAC.

But the final decision needs to take into the consideration the system in which the DAC will go into.
The system currently has an MSB Discrete just looking to know if I upgrade is the premier that much better than the discrete.

Reactions: rbbert

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The system currently has an MSB Discrete just looking to know if I upgrade is the premier that much better than the discrete.
Yes, it is.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Alex, are you back in the USA now?

I also have to wonder about the Premier with its new package pricing

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex, are you back in the USA now?

I also have to wonder about the Premier with its new package pricing
Unfortunately, not yet.

But I'm always available on email and phone.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Discrete DAC arrived with 2 power supplies and ProISL input module :)

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
It will love your Pass INT....Get it all plugged and in and let er rip!!
Let us know what you think.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ordered, dual PS, proISL/USB. According to Alma Audio may ship in only 2-3 weeks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing