How many times have you cleaned an LP to try to make it better?

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
I clean my LPs trying to eliminate background noise (pops, crackles and clicks not due to scratches). Many times 1 cleaning with my RCM does the job. Other times it seems it does a good job on most of the LP but there are still some areas that can use improvement. I realize there is a diminishing point of return. Has anyone had success with multiple cleanings finally doing the job and getting 95% or better improvement? When do you give up and turn the LP into a frisbee instead?

Reactions: tima

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
1st ( wash ) with fluid & 2nd ( rinse ) with distilled water usually works fine

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
When I buy used records I will run them thru my RCM a couple times.....Play them and run again if I hear smegma, if said smega remains, I trade it back in or look for a new reissue.

Reactions: labjr1

TLi

May 27, 2016
There is a balance between the wear of record and the sonic improvement of being clean.

Every cleaning method carries a risk of wearing out the modulation of the groove. Record doesn’t need to be absolutely flawlessly clean to sound right. I usually clean my record once, a second run is only justified when there are still some pops. Some records will always pop regardless of the times they are cleaned, so I seldom go to third round.

Remember to rest the cleaned record for a few hours before listening, it takes some time for vinyl to return to ground state after agitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: labjr1

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
There is a balance between the wear of record and the sonic improvement of being clean.

Every cleaning method carries a risk of wearing out the modulation of the groove. Record doesn’t need to be absolutely flawlessly clean to sound right. I usually clean my record once, a second run is only justified when there are still some pops. Some records will always pop regardless of the times they are cleaned, so I seldom go to third round.

Remember to rest the cleaned record for a few hours before listening, it takes some time for vinyl to return to ground state after agitation.

Thank you!! Great advice!! I appreciate it.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Sometimes noise can be traced to not being vigilant when evaluating test pressings. I personally know three different people who run small vinyl labels and they listen to test pressings on different TT’s. They occasionally do have discovered audio artifacts that aren’t supposed to be there.

The vast majority of my vinyl collection is new records, although I have many great used ones as well. Back in 2018 I bought a brand new sealed Slayer album, pressed by a very large label. That thing was so loaded with ticks and pops it was unlistenable and I took it back without even playing the other side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing